something that needs to be said

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    You say this as if PJ is the only band to raise ticket prices.

EVERY band is alot more expensive to see now. Im paying a little over $70 to see INCUBUS. Ill pay the same to see PJ any day.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Pearl Jam at London's O2 costs the same as watching West Ham play Stoke on a Saturday afternoon. The only difference is that one of those two events guarantees at least some basic level of satisfaction - and I'm not talking about watching Rory Delap's long throw ins.

These things costs money and you get what you pat for.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • By the way..

What do you do for a living?

Let's say you're an engineer...

In the 90's you made $40,000 a year.....

Do you wanna make $40,000 a year now?

Like I said before...

;)Fucking stupid post
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    Also, don't forget that fan club tickets cut out the "service" fees, the "handling" fee and the "whatever else we want to charge you" fee.

So, $74 a piece isn't so bad, when if it was $50 through TicketBastard, it would be $95 after all the "fees".
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    demay wrote:
    We won't be hearing songs off a new record or anything. What's up? Do they need some cash?

Why wont be hearing songs off the new record????

In Australia, and for the 06 tour the tickets were $100 each for the whole venue. Thats cheap. To see Cold Play in the same venue was $140 for shit seats.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Red_Dot wrote:
    demay wrote:
    We won't be hearing songs off a new record or anything. What's up? Do they need some cash?

In Australia, and for the 06 tour the tickets were $100 each for the whole venue. Thats cheap. To see Cold Play in the same venue was $140 for shit seats.

Man, I know I'm a little tipsy at this time of night, but did ya have to say coldplay?!

YUCK!!!!!!!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    I'm sorry, you may have had a legitimate point, but just the fact you said: "what would Kurt Cobain say?" kinda kills it. Come on, man, really?
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Red_Dot wrote:
    demay wrote:

Man, I know I'm a little tipsy at this time of night, but did ya have to say coldplay?!

YUCK!!!!!!!

Hahaha I didnt go see them, but a mate went and when I heard the ticket price for seats up the back, it made me happy to be a PJ fan.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    lawn tickets to see bob dylan at summerfest are listed at 25 bucks. after fees and charges it comes out to 50. these tickets i would think are a lot closer to the $50 mark before fees and what not are added. Cost of living goes up all the time..it's called inflation. and yeah..ticket prices might jump up a little bit when bands have familes to feed and look out for. it's really not that much.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    The band grew up. The fans didn't.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    Look, there has to be some inflation to be accounted for. Is $74 a tix great? no. Is it robbery? no.
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    Let me begin that if I lived near Chicago, I would be at these shows. I wouldn't like paying all this money, and I still would feel that it's a bit much, and would still have posted this, but I'd be there. It'd be impossible not to go. Still, PJ has a long history of sticking it out and fighting for what you believe. And I believe that they are now charging too much.

We all change, and they all have families and I realize that. It's hard on bands to tour, especially those with kids. It's hard on fans to pay lots of money for shows, especially those with families, maybe out of work, maybe those with kids.

Plus, the UC is NOT one of the best venues out there. Can't they just go to Alpine Valley or something, give the fans an awesome venue to chill at all day outside in the end of summer sun, and rock out for a couple days and charge the same price? Now THAT would make sense. 2 nights at the crappy UC...it just seems a bit odd, and deserves to be QUESTIONED.

The idea of rereleasing Ten, with some additional stuff, ugh....it just sounds like "marketing". I read the interview with Jeff, btw.

folks, don't look now, but rock shows are becoming exclusive. Oh, and, I do have one more thing. If PJ is going to charge this much, then Eddie probably needs to not get so drunk that by the 2nd set, he's done playing guitar...for the most part anyway.

Oh yeah, ever seen Wilco live? I'd put them right up there with a live PJ show. Lots of band members, kids, great musicians...they're charging 50 bucks for a show at an awesome venue.

thanks.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    All I have to say is... situations change.
    I mean, i'm single and all i have to do is look out for myself. If I get married again... situation changes, but not that much because my wife would probably also be working and bringing home a paycheck.
    Now, if we have kids... situation changes. We now have to think about the kid... the college tuition and all that stuff. If my wife quits work or cuts her work hours in order to raise the kid... the money thing changes.
    What does that have to do with anything? Nothing, except i understand that a musician who is a husband and a father has his situation changed from his younger days. It's called growing up. I don't blame anyone for growing up.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    demay wrote:
    Let me begin that if I lived near Chicago, I would be at these shows. I wouldn't like paying all this money, and I still would feel that it's a bit much, and would still have posted this, but I'd be there. It'd be impossible not to go. Still, PJ has a long history of sticking it out and fighting for what you believe. And I believe that they are now charging too much.

We all change, and they all have families and I realize that. It's hard on bands to tour, especially those with kids. It's hard on fans to pay lots of money for shows, especially those with families, maybe out of work, maybe those with kids.

Plus, the UC is NOT one of the best venues out there. Can't they just go to Alpine Valley or something, give the fans an awesome venue to chill at all day outside in the end of summer sun, and rock out for a couple days and charge the same price? Now THAT would make sense. 2 nights at the crappy UC...it just seems a bit odd, and deserves to be QUESTIONED.

The idea of rereleasing Ten, with some additional stuff, ugh....it just sounds like "marketing". I read the interview with Jeff, btw.

folks, don't look now, but rock shows are becoming exclusive. Oh, and, I do have one more thing. If PJ is going to charge this much, then Eddie probably needs to not get so drunk that by the 2nd set, he's done playing guitar...for the most part anyway.

Oh yeah, ever seen Wilco live? I'd put them right up there with a live PJ show. Lots of band members, kids, great musicians...they're charging 50 bucks for a show at an awesome venue.

thanks.

I hear what you are saying but a couple of things:

1) They may be travelling with family, so that could add cost. and they deserve to do so.

2) Alpine, as much as I would like that, doesn't fit the tour schedule. The UC, while crap acoustics, does allow the number of fans they have in the area, plus travellers to fit.

3) They aren't promoting the re-release of Ten. The new album will be coming out very close to the UC dates.

4) Wilco doesn't need the security, sound system, or organization PJ does. Hence the cost.

Again, not the best deal on tix, but not a rip off
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited May 2009
    demay wrote:

thanks.

Stop drinking? :roll: Man puts on a three hour show and unlike in the early years plays some more guitar.

He is the singer. :lol:
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    $74 for a single ticket to see a band as prestigous as Pearl Jam is not that big of a deal...You're not seeing Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket or a band like that..no disrespect to those bands I love those bands but their not the same caliber as Pearl Jam, and I know for a fact that its close to $60 a show for each of those bands, I know they are at least $50. So paying $74 for Pearl Jam isn't worth it?

Someone else on here said it best, this isn't something you do every month - this is a special event, why complain about the money, if you are lucky, I mean real lucky you will get to see Pearl Jam once a year, (I live in Kentucky and saw them in Cinncinati in 06, bought 1 day tickets and went to Chicago for Lolla in 07, and suffered through 4 days of heat and skank to see them at Roo last year) so if you are only going to see them once a year, why not splurge a little? If you have enough money to follow them around the country and see them 5 or 6 times, then you don't need to be bitching about ticket prices in the first place.

If you could guarntee me a local show (within 2 hours of my home) a 2-3 hour performance, once a year for the next decade from Pearl Jam, I would pay $2-$300 for that ticket and guarntee just to get to see them once a year...so the fact that tickets are $74 a show shouldn't be a big deal, now if they don't come to Louisville, Cinncinati, Columbus, Lexington, Knoxville or somewhere close on this tour I may be a little pissed and bitch a little but then I will just find the nearest show I can do and shell out the cash and get my yearly concert in...
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    wahmbulance.jpg
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    BMo-643 wrote:
    $74 for a single ticket to see a band as prestigous as Pearl Jam is not that big of a deal...You're not seeing Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket or a band like that..no disrespect to those bands I love those bands but their not the same caliber as Pearl Jam, and I know for a fact that its close to $60 a show for each of those bands, I know they are at least $50. So paying $74 for Pearl Jam isn't worth it?

Someone else on here said it best, this isn't something you do every month - this is a special event, why complain about the money, if you are lucky, I mean real lucky you will get to see Pearl Jam once a year, (I live in Kentucky and saw them in Cinncinati in 06, bought 1 day tickets and went to Chicago for Lolla in 07, and suffered through 4 days of heat and skank to see them at Roo last year) so if you are only going to see them once a year, why not splurge a little? If you have enough money to follow them around the country and see them 5 or 6 times, then you don't need to be bitching about ticket prices in the first place.

If you could guarntee me a local show (within 2 hours of my home) a 2-3 hour performance, once a year for the next decade from Pearl Jam, I would pay $2-$300 for that ticket and guarntee just to get to see them once a year...so the fact that tickets are $74 a show shouldn't be a big deal, now if they don't come to Louisville, Cinncinati, Columbus, Lexington, Knoxville or somewhere close on this tour I may be a little pissed and bitch a little but then I will just find the nearest show I can do and shell out the cash and get my yearly concert in...

What he said
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    $148 for 2 tickets to see the best live band on the planet?????

its a fucking bargain........
    I second that.
  • icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    At least if you are a 10c fan like most of us who have tickets already, you don't get the extra £5 / $8 service charges and the £3 / $5 postage charges. Tickets say a certain face value cost but then you can usually add 10% on with that. I have got 10c tickets for london. And I am franticaly going to run the Ticketmaster gauntlet for Manchester in half an hour for tickets for my folks. They got into PJ via me and have wanted to see them for years.
    For good stuff you pay good money. Wembley was awesome. I paid £45x2 for those. Well worth it. We got around 25 songs over two-and-a-half hours.
    Pay £40 for some bands and you will get 90 minutes max.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    aNiMaL wrote:
    $148 for 2 tickets to see the best live band on the planet?????

its a fucking bargain........
    I second that.

Exactly. Or you could pay $110 to see Kings of Leon play for an hour. Personally, I'll take the extra $20 per person and see a band that plays with heart and emotion.
    NERDS!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    demay wrote:
    ... What would Kurt Cobain say?...

Uh, who gives a fuck what Kurt Cobain would say? Wasn't he that guy that wrote a few hit singles for a pop band that was signed to a major label years ago? If he was still alive Nirvana would have become exactly what Foo Fighters are now and not one of the kids in their "Corporate Rock Whore" smiley t-shirts would appreciate the irony.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362
    :roll:
    that is all...
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    i paid atleast 20 dollars more for shows in 2008.. so that'a a decreas in prices.. that's good for the times.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    SOLAT319 wrote:

I'm not U2 fanboi but did you guys know their concert tickets will start from about 40 bucks for their upcoming tour?
    Interesting.

But one thing that Pearl Jam does do by keeping every ticket the same price, is make tickets cheaper for US. For the fan club. If there was a tiered ticket price system for PJ shows, it would be the fan club paying the highest dollar for the best seats in the house.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    demay wrote:
    Another question, why are they touring? Cause they have an itch to play...yeah. Cause they put out "Ten:Deluxe", I guess. To make some money? Sure. We won't be hearing songs off a new record or anything. What's up? Do they need some cash? Are they cashing in on the tour money while they can? Sounds like just the type of people they used to fight and mock back in the day. What would Kurt Cobain say?

Why the hell not?? Is it just me, I thought we wanted them to tour as much as possible!! So what if their new album isn't out - maybe we'll hear somer rarities that would get puched out of the set if a new album had to take centre stage. hey're touring and making a LOT of people VERY happy!
    demay wrote:
    Combine that with this new militant 10c policy that if you don't renew within 90 days or so, and they revoke your seniority, something they haven't done in the past. I mean, what's going on with this band? Sure, kudos to their environmental stances, and their charity work, but it's tougher to truly believe in them when their charging so much money.

90 days is WAY more than enough time to renew, maybe a bit too long if you ask me! There has to be some way for new/young fans to move up the ladder a bit - otherwise it becomes completely unfair (and maybe a little ageist ;) ).

Seriously - give them a break and Amen to them touring as often as they like! :D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    BeerBaron wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

I'm not U2 fanboi but did you guys know their concert tickets will start from about 40 bucks for their upcoming tour?
    Interesting.

But one thing that Pearl Jam does do by keeping every ticket the same price, is make tickets cheaper for US. For the fan club. If there was a tiered ticket price system for PJ shows, it would be the fan club paying the highest dollar for the best seats in the house.

Yeah and I'd like to know where those $40 tickets are... cause I have tickets (for Giant Stadium) in the top tier nosebleeds that cost me $113.20 after fees, so my guess is that the $40 tickets are somewhere else in Jersey, outside the stadium. The close up tickets were $250 before fees, I don't think U2 is the best example *shrugs* and the main reason I'm going is because Muse is opening... seeing U2 again is a bonus.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    I've heard from someone that is linked into the touring industry that the reason PJ tickets cost so much is that they literally fly home to Seattle after every show (in the continental U.S.).
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    What would Kurt Cobain say?

the guy who killed himself leaving his baby daughter behind, that guy?

I could not give a shit in the least what that guy would think
    i agree.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    spend two hours with me and it will cost you $700 and you wont have a good time :lol:

PJ does make an effort to keep prices down
    try to buy a bruce, neil, who, Van Morrison, eagles, u2, allman brothers, steely dan or dead ticket for less than $100
    you cant