something that needs to be said

demaydemay Posts: 67
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I'm a long time fan, fan club member since No Code. Been to plenty of shows. Grew up with Pearl Jam, physically and mentally. Their music always brings a smile to my face, brings me out of tough times, and their shows are adrenaline....
but...
I'm really concerned about the direction of the band. Two tickets to the Chicago shows cost $148. That's not cheap, especially in these times. The SF show is a festival, and costs lots of money too. If this is the cost to put on a PJ show these days, well, I really don't understand how. If that's the cost for premium seats for 10c, I guess we have no choice but to cough up the dough. If it's supply and demand, well, Pearl Jam has lots of power and I just don't see why it's got to be so much money.

This isn't the anti-establishment, grassroots, ticketbastard fighting band who once proclaimed "get out of my fucking face, delight in our youth!"

Another question, why are they touring? Cause they have an itch to play...yeah. Cause they put out "Ten:Deluxe", I guess. To make some money? Sure. We won't be hearing songs off a new record or anything. What's up? Do they need some cash? Are they cashing in on the tour money while they can? Sounds like just the type of people they used to fight and mock back in the day. What would Kurt Cobain say?

Combine that with this new militant 10c policy that if you don't renew within 90 days or so, and they revoke your seniority, something they haven't done in the past. I mean, what's going on with this band? Sure, kudos to their environmental stances, and their charity work, but it's tougher to truly believe in them when their charging so much money.

I'm gonna give them credit and say that this is the legitimate cost of a PJ tour. Okay...but it's more money than last tour, right? What changed?

If you're glad I won't be going, well, it's your loss, cause I'm one of the biggest PJ enthus out there. I've hooked up my share of 10c with great seats with my extras and great times, cause I'd rather go with a true fan than one of my friends who don't understand. I've stood up and proclaimed PJ's greatness to anyone who can hear. But, I don't know how to explain this. I think it's important to question things, and this deserves questioning.

I just, well, I don't want to lose my favorite band. I think they may be "drifting away" and I'm sad and upset.
thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    How much do you think a decent ticket from the 10club should cost you?????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    A lot of the costs very likely come from the venue. My husband is a concert promoter and I know from him that the UC is a union venue. So the promoter has to pay a certain amount of money to the venue to pay for all the security/vending/merch, etc. I can imagine that renting out the UC for a night knowing that it is going to sell out costs a pretty penny, and then the band has to also pay all of their roadies and stage crew. I trust that they are trying to keep the costs as low for us as possible. I recently saw Death Cab for Cutie at the Aragon - which is a fairly small venue - and those tix ran me $50 each. It just seems to be a sign of the times unfortunately.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    "one of the biggest pj enthus out there"?
    man, pay to see your favorite band and stop whining. you should be happy they don't have to tour in order to promote a new record... they just play for the sake of playing. so many bands don't do that. so many bands fall apart. consider yourself lucky that you're seeing one of the very few bands that tours every year, even when they don't need a reason to tour. these guys have families and personal lives. they certainly don't need to tour, and i'm sure they certainly don't need to tour for some extra money. they're doing it to reward the fans and to play because they love to play. end of story
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    normally this type of post bothers me and I can't read more than a few lines, but i have to say I agree with a lot of the things you said...

Behind a wall a fat man snores...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    The price is cheaper than the 2008 tour, although yes it is more than the 2006 tour.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    you may want to read this thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97910
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    when was the last time you went to a pearl jam concert? it's been around $140 a pair for a few years now. i believe that one of the reasons, if not the biggest reason, for keeping their prices so low back in the day was because their fanbase was mostly high school/college students who didn't have enough money but now that they see their fanbase as mostly 30 year olds and older (hopefully) with careers, i would think that they wouldn't be so concerned to keep their prices so low. and your gripe about the "new militant 10c policy" is ridiculous, so if you had it your way if someone doesn't feel like paying for months or years on end they don't have to and still keep their 10c number? and pearl jam can tour if they want! it's got little to do with the money, they love playing live and if they want to do it it's their prerogative.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but I just don't think their prices are outrageous at all... many artists charge a hell of a lot more and people in other countries pay a hell of a lot more (I paid $75 for a PJ ticket in Australia in 2003 and thought it was a great deal cause I was used to paying more to see bands even back then... I paid $68 for U2 back in 1993).

As to why they're touring... I'm guessing it's cause they love it and because it's what the fans want. It seems to me these days they can't seem to win, they release special edition material and offer so much to their fans and then get accused of trying to fleece their fans for more money. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand it :|

The day they start charging Madonna/U2 prices, I may double-take, but I don't think they're anywhere near there, or likely to start down that road (after all, Madonna charged $369 for A grade seating last year, which I think is just disgusting and it costs $120 to see a play on Broadway)... $70-90 a ticket is a fantastic deal for what you're getting, IMO.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    it's not 1995
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    One of the problems I see with your post is that these dates are to promote the new album. They just don't wanna goes balls deep touring when they are gonna have to do a monster tour for the 20th anniversary. Another, have you been to a show, by any name band recently?
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    demay wrote:
    I'm a long time fan, fan club member since No Code. Been to plenty of shows. Grew up with Pearl Jam, physically and mentally. Their music always brings a smile to my face, brings me out of tough times, and their shows are adrenaline....
    but...
    I'm really concerned about the direction of the band. Two tickets to the Chicago shows cost $148. That's not cheap, especially in these times. The SF show is a festival, and costs lots of money too. If this is the cost to put on a PJ show these days, well, I really don't understand how. If that's the cost for premium seats for 10c, I guess we have no choice but to cough up the dough. If it's supply and demand, well, Pearl Jam has lots of power and I just don't see why it's got to be so much money.

This isn't the anti-establishment, grassroots, ticketbastard fighting band who once proclaimed "get out of my fucking face, delight in our youth!"

Another question, why are they touring? Cause they have an itch to play...yeah. Cause they put out "Ten:Deluxe", I guess. To make some money? Sure. We won't be hearing songs off a new record or anything. What's up? Do they need some cash? Are they cashing in on the tour money while they can? Sounds like just the type of people they used to fight and mock back in the day. What would Kurt Cobain say?

Combine that with this new militant 10c policy that if you don't renew within 90 days or so, and they revoke your seniority, something they haven't done in the past. I mean, what's going on with this band? Sure, kudos to their environmental stances, and their charity work, but it's tougher to truly believe in them when their charging so much money.

I'm gonna give them credit and say that this is the legitimate cost of a PJ tour. Okay...but it's more money than last tour, right? What changed?

If you're glad I won't be going, well, it's your loss, cause I'm one of the biggest PJ enthus out there. I've hooked up my share of 10c with great seats with my extras and great times, cause I'd rather go with a true fan than one of my friends who don't understand. I've stood up and proclaimed PJ's greatness to anyone who can hear. But, I don't know how to explain this. I think it's important to question things, and this deserves questioning.

I just, well, I don't want to lose my favorite band. I think they may be "drifting away" and I'm sad and upset.
    thanks.
    People should be taking note of what you said - and more specifically, how you said it - well-spoken and logical. Thank you for giving your constructive criticism, and those are definitely some interesting points. In my opinion, the problem with discussing the show costs is that, for obvious reasons, it seems that only insiders are granted access to dollar values, percentages taken by venues, merchandising costs, etc., which leaves the consumer wondering how much each party is actually making. That's why I choose to just stay silent on the topic of costs - it feels too much like an accusation without any sort of evidence.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    demay wrote:

I'm not U2 fanboi but did you guys know their concert tickets will start from about 40 bucks for their upcoming tour?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    norm wrote:
    it's not 1995

+1
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Same old same old blah blah blah. Not to attack you personally demay, but I just get tired of seeing these threads.
    demay:

You answered your own question.

demay:

I'm really concerned about the direction of the band. Two tickets to the Chicago shows cost $148. That's not cheap, especially in these times.

If people can't afford to go, then don't go. It costs on average (for two people) $35-40 for a movie,
    a $100+ for a professional sporting event (tix, parking, etc.), even a nice dinner out $60+ (two entrees and two alcoholic beverages). A PJ show of two plus hours $74. These are all events that you may do once a month or once a year, so really, the cost is not outrageous. It's not just five (or six) guys being paid here. They are just one cog in a large wheel.

If you still think that $74 is too much to see a world-class band, then go out and spend $12 to see a local up and comer. Give 'em your cash now so that in 17 years, you can bitch and complain about how much THEY charge . . . and you can once again say "I remember when . . ." ;):D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    benjs wrote:
    demay wrote:
    That's why I choose to just stay silent on the topic of costs - it feels too much like an accusation without any sort of evidence.

bingo

when Ed just handed over $10,000
    and they played the beacon theatre for free last year (while raising a few million dollars for charity)

I give the band the benefit of the doubt. And honestly, the tickets are always the cheapest things when compared to the travel, parking fees, food, etc...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    Gmoney wrote:
    normally this type of post bothers me and I can't read more than a few lines, but i have to say I agree with a lot of the things you said...

i agree.
    good use of your words demay. ....as my mom would say.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

The last few years i have had PLENTY of issues, and questions about the band and how the 10club runs a business.

But the last thing i have a problem with is the price of tickets......

$148 for 2 tickets to see the best live band on the planet?????

its a fucking bargain........
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    people grow up and eventually leave there punk roots behind and have families and become adults . fans need to realize its all bout money for pj and thats the reality of it all. they earned the right to do whatever the hell they want. if they wanna whore themselves out and be like the who then they can, they earned that right. i'm not bashing you personally but i'm tired of people holding onto something that isnt there with this band or whining cause pj isnt what they want them to be and think they owe us something. my most favorite era of this band was the punk days and i wasnt even old enough to see them during those days.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    What would Kurt Cobain say?

the guy who killed himself leaving his baby daughter behind, that guy?

I could not give a shit in the least what that guy would think
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    metsfan wrote:
    people grow up and eventually leave there punk roots behind and have families and become adults . fans need to realize its all bout money for pj and thats the reality of it all. they earned the right to do whatever the hell they want. if they wanna whore themselves out and be like the who then they can, they earned that right. i'm not bashing you personally but i'm tired of people holding onto something that isnt there with this band or whining cause pj isnt what they want them to be and think they owe us something. my most favorite era of this band was the punk days and i wasnt even old enough to see them during those days.
    That's true. Let's not forget the fact that in '95, how many of the members had kids? Any of them? Plus they didn't have Boom. So six paid band members, plus each of the band members' families.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    demay wrote:

He's absolutely right! You answered all your questions right there....

But tell me, are you the same person you were in 1995? Have you not changed at all?
    be philanthropic
    hrd2imgn wrote:

good answer......

right on!!!
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    everyone should quit crying, they put on shows because people want to see them and they want to see us, it is a supply and demand type of thing, as the demand rises so does the price, thats why it costs so much to see other people like Led Zep or McCartney,
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    hrd2imgn wrote:

Thank you!

It annoys me when people talk about how great kurt was. Yah he was a great musician but he was a drug addict who left his baby behind to be raised by a wacko, i dont think thats so great.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    benjs wrote:
    That's true. Let's not forget the fact that in '95, how many of the members had kids? Any of them? Plus they didn't have Boom. So six paid band members, plus each of the band members' families.
    i think all of them have 2-3 kids now
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    The last few years i have had PLENTY of issues, and questions about the band and how the 10club runs a business.

But the last thing i have a problem with is the price of tickets......

$148 for 2 tickets to see the best live band on the planet?????

its a fucking bargain........

ditto!
    and i know a lot of people hate the system but it's a hell of whole lot better than dealing with ticketbasterd in my opinion.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited May 2009
    benjs wrote:

my parents were 24 and had four little kids in 95 haha
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Gas cost $0.88 p/gallon in 1995. :shock:

Any reasonably intelligent person could probably surmise quite a bit from that fact.
  • Kurt Cobain wouldn't say shit

And he won't ever say shit again

He blew his fucking face off with a shotgun

worst day of my young life

stupid post
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    I wondered myself about the price of tickets. But in the end, I bought tickets to the Monday night show.
    Why? Because I love this band. I don't really go to many concerts anymore as most aren't worth the price of admission.
    Pearl Jam is a different story. I know what kind of seats I'm getting. I had 5th row center for the last show at the UC. I know I'm getting AT LEAST 3 hours of rocking music. I know I'm probably getting Yellow Leadbetter to end the show. Most people hate that they always seem to close with it. I LOVE IT!!
    In my opinion, it's the perfect song to close with.
    Their merchandise is cheaper than most other bands. They could EASILY charge $50 a T-shirt.
    They just put out a KILLER box set because the fans wanted it. They pretty much stop scalpers and brokers from getting a hold of the BEST SEATS IN THE HOUSE.
    I just love this band. I have since 1991.
    I guess, that's why I paid $148 for a pair of tickets.