Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Almost was going to roadtrip to try it this year. It's good but I think I prefer the Elder. The Younger is stronger but that's what comes through for me. A little alcoholly. It was a good night though, here's some of what was on the tap list:

#FHP
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    I need to get my hands (and lips) on some of that Pliny the elder. Sadly, Salt Lake City is probably not going to be the place :(
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    imalive said:

I need to get my hands (and lips) on some of that Pliny the elder. Sadly, Salt Lake City is probably not going to be the place :(

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    I had some last year, randomly walked in a bar that had it (Kraftwork). I wish I was more sober when I had it. I remember it being really good, but that's about it.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    imalive said:

A buddy of mine just got back from Utah - he said the beer/liquor laws are pretty, pretty stupid. Beautiful area, though, he said - believe he went skiing in Park City.

Sidecar had Pliny last year. I'm assuming they'll have it again - two doors away from my house and I still couldn't get my hands on one.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

imalive said:

A buddy of mine just got back from Utah - he said the beer/liquor laws are pretty, pretty stupid. Beautiful area, though, he said - believe he went skiing in Park City.

Sidecar had Pliny last year. I'm assuming they'll have it again - two doors away from my house and I still couldn't get my hands on one.
    Beer/liquor laws here are pretty fucking stupid too.

• Options

imalive said:

No doubt. But this was like you couldn't get a beer unless you ordered food kinda stupid. And certain abv levels could only be served, and some other weird shit.
  • Options

imalive said:

No doubt. But this was like you couldn't get a beer unless you ordered food kinda stupid. And certain abv levels could only be served, and some other weird shit.
    Ah, yikes
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'll hook you up imalive.

PM sent.
    #FHP
  • Options

imalive said:

OK....fuckers.....quit drinking the kool aid you've been fed.

you can get plenty drunk in shit lake salty....is it like vegas with liquor super stores? no.....but any proof or ABV is available for you. You gotta go to a state store for liquor....kinda fucked but I don't think we're the only state with that. ditto "high" beer....state store and it is a bit pricey, but I notice good beer seems to be expensive everywhere these days. you can get 4% ABV beer at the grocery store or 7-11....everything from natty light to some decent sessions beers.

some places WILL make you order food in order to drink....they are called restaurants....if you want to drink, you go to a BAR.

I did the giant 180....vegas, drinking on the street, 24/7 to here...and I survived. it was well worth it to get away from the vegas douche factor. any more misconceptions, let me know.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Horos said:

PM sent.

Saint Horos!!!!! :D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Haha, touched a nerve, did I?

Nah, this wasn't a restaurant - had high tops, stools, etc. Dude told me him and 6 other dudes were there, he already ate. You can't join friends at a table and drink a beer while everyone else eats?

Can you also clear up whether your 3rd wife is also your sister? ;)
  • Options

Haha, touched a nerve, did I?

Nah, this wasn't a restaurant - had high tops, stools, etc. Dude told me him and 6 other dudes were there, he already ate. You can't join friends at a table and drink a beer while everyone else eats?

Can you also clear up whether your 3rd wife is also your sister? ;)

no, cousin.

Yeah, the scenario you described COULD exist here....but for a regular like me, they will put a dirty plate down to make it LOOK like I'm eating, in case the alcohol police show up.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    imalive said:

imalive said:

OK....fuckers.....quit drinking the kool aid you've been fed.

you can get plenty drunk in shit lake salty....is it like vegas with liquor super stores? no.....but any proof or ABV is available for you. You gotta go to a state store for liquor....kinda fucked but I don't think we're the only state with that. ditto "high" beer....state store and it is a bit pricey, but I notice good beer seems to be expensive everywhere these days. you can get 4% ABV beer at the grocery store or 7-11....everything from natty light to some decent sessions beers.

some places WILL make you order food in order to drink....they are called restaurants....if you want to drink, you go to a BAR.

I did the giant 180....vegas, drinking on the street, 24/7 to here...and I survived. it was well worth it to get away from the vegas douche factor. any more misconceptions, let me know.

I read an article the other day saying that draft beer is only allowed to be like 4 or 4.5% ABV in the state?

That being said, I live in Texas... the home of asinine beer laws. In this state you can't even label beer correctly by state law.... if you call something "beer" it has to be less than 4.5% abv, from 4.5 to like 7% it has to be labelled as an "ale" and anything over 7% has to be labelled "malt liquor"...

that's just the beginning...

Anyway - Mike you get to try a hopslam yet? I got a few bottles in a trade there last week... i'll send you one or two if you wanna try... fair warning though: the bottling date is 12/20/2013.... I wasn't very impressed when dude sent me a 2 month old IPA in a trade (there was actually a bottle of IPA included that was dated 10/28/2013... when I saw that I actually started thinking that dude just rooted through his beer fridge and sent me shit he didn't want anymore....)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Just scored a case ofTroegs Nugget Nectar and Dogfish Aprihop. It's gonna be a fun week after all.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks shep. I suggest you just drink them now. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I can wait. I will drink it if you send it off of course. See what's around up here and if you can find something for me to send you.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos said:

PM sent.

where is that "bow down" smilie? Oh, right.....the 10C set out to ruin this place :fp:

thank you, Saint Horos!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    #FHP
  • Options
    Any home brewers think about making a Pliny clone? Won't be nearly as good obviously but still? Thoughts?
  • Options
    I haven't tried home brewing but I've been told you can buy an ingredient package for just that purpose.
    #FHP
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Had Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist last night & it was awesome.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Horos said:

I haven't tried home brewing but I've been told you can buy an ingredient package for just that purpose.

Hey man---next time you're in Hillsboro, go to the ABV Taproom. Awesome food & over 60 beers on tap plus a huge bottle selection.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I finally made it to the Dogfish restaurant in Rehoboth, DE yesterday. I was with family so I couldn't take full advantage bu the food was good and aprihop was fresh.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Just grabbed 6 bottles of this

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Just grabbed 6 bottles of this

I find it weird that Ommegang is doing this, but I really liked the beer they did last year for it.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Happy belated KBS day!!! Anybody score on Tuesday? I ended up with 8 bottles! Had to hit three different stores but it'll be worth it. Still have one from last year. Can't wait to compare.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options

imalive said:

I believe this will be the weekend (thanks, Horos!)...I don't, however, foresee a tulip glass. probably go with something a little less femmy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    northern spiritnorthern spirit I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream Posts: 186
    FYI - Craft beer show in NIagara Falls ON Canada this Saturday, April 5,2014. $20.00 admission.Scotia Band Convention Centre.Stanley Ave., Niagara Falls.
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
  • Options
    no posts in over a month? man, this place is dying :(