Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    Deschutes is hands down my fave.  Pinedrops is my #1, then Fresh Squeezed.  I really wanted to try Sage Fight but couldn't find it anywhere.

After N1 Seattle we meandered to Elysian and the Avatar Jasmine was delicious.

My friend here in SF got me into Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing...it's super delicious too. I wish it were sold in bottles rather than cans but....

Yum,it's always fun to talk about beeeeer.
    East Lansing, Michigan (August 18, 1998)
    Greensboro, North Carolina (August 06, 2000)
    San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009)
    EV Solo Las Vegas, Nov 1, 2012
    Oakland, CA (November 26, 2013)
    Mountain View, CA (October 25, 2014)
    Mountain View, CA (October 26, 2014)
    Temple of the Dog SF CA Nov 11, 2016
    EV @ Ohana Fest 2016 and 2017
    Seattle Home Shows Aug 8 and 10, 2018
    Future: Boston Sept 2, 2018
    Future: Boston Sept 4, 2018
    Ohana Fest, 2018
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    bbiggs said:
    For Midwest beers, I’d have to say MI, IL, IN and WI in that order. 
    This list is correct...IF you don't mind being wrong! :lol::lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    Lol. I admit that IL and IN could be swapped and there’s a bit of my Chicago bias in there. Obviously 3F is as good as it gets, but I’m not very well versed in the rest of what IN has to offer. I’m familiar with so many local Chicagoland breweries that it makes it tough for me to put IN ahead. Sell me on why IN is better...c’mon man! Give me a reason to cross the state border! :) 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,847
    Cheers from Camden yards!  Had this last week in Chicago and loved it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I just discovered Exhibit A’s The Cat’s Meow & Flying Squirrel’s Cloud Candy (both are NE style IPAs)

Both are phenomenal. 
  • Options
    I just discovered Exhibit A’s The Cat’s Meow & Flying Squirrel’s Cloud Candy (both are NE style IPAs)

Both are phenomenal. 
    Where are these breweries? 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    bbiggs said:

Both are phenomenal. 
    Eastern MA. For anyone coming to Fenway next weekend, I found these beers at The Craft Beer Cellar. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Both are phenomenal. 
    Eastern MA. For anyone coming to Fenway next weekend, I found these beers at The Craft Beer Cellar. 
    Cool! I’ll have to check these out next weekend. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Lol. I admit that IL and IN could be swapped and there’s a bit of my Chicago bias in there. Obviously 3F is as good as it gets, but I’m not very well versed in the rest of what IN has to offer. I’m familiar with so many local Chicagoland breweries that it makes it tough for me to put IN ahead. Sell me on why IN is better...c’mon man! Give me a reason to cross the state border! :) 
    Fine fine fine....in the name of transparency, I'll admit that I have not experienced all of the best that Illinois has to offer either. I would really like to try some stuff from Mikerphone for sure. There are also the Goose Islands and Lagunitas of the world. Due to them being owned by larger corporations, I disqualify them from being craft brews any longer (even though Goose IPA was good and Sumpin' Sumpin' is fire).

With so many breweries popping up over the last 3 years, it really becomes difficult to have the shelf space at the liquor stores to keep up. Just because someone opens a brewery, it doesn't mean their beer is worth a damn. Additionally, just because a brewery is new, it doesn't mean they are incapable of being great.

Here are my top 5 for each state (off the top of my head):

Illinois:
    Pipeworks
    Revolution
    One Trick Pony
    Half Acre
    Two Brothers

Indiana:
    3 Floyd's 
    18th St. Brewery 
    Burn Em'
    Four Fathers
    Sun King

Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Awesome! Great summer beer. Are you a Yanks fan? 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Fine fine fine....in the name of transparency, I'll admit that I have not experienced all of the best that Illinois has to offer either. I would really like to try some stuff from Mikerphone for sure. There are also the Goose Islands and Lagunitas of the world. Due to them being owned by larger corporations, I disqualify them from being craft brews any longer (even though Goose IPA was good and Sumpin' Sumpin' is fire).

With so many breweries popping up over the last 3 years, it really becomes difficult to have the shelf space at the liquor stores to keep up. Just because someone opens a brewery, it doesn't mean their beer is worth a damn. Additionally, just because a brewery is new, it doesn't mean they are incapable of being great.

Illinois:
    Pipeworks
    Revolution
    One Trick Pony
    Half Acre
    Two Brothers

Indiana:
    3 Floyd's 
    18th St. Brewery 
    Burn Em'
    Four Fathers
    Sun King

I have to admit, after Three Floyd’s I’m not familiar with any of those breweries. I’m going to have to keep my eyes peeled in case they distribute to IL. Maybe they can help sway my rankings. ;)

The two IL breweries that I’d strongly suggest you try if/when you can see Noon Whistle and Brickstone. They’ve become two of my favorites. To be fair, I’m yet to try Mikerphone also, which I’ve heard is outstanding. FYI - I also exclude Lagunitas and Goose for the same reasons. Not a huge fan. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Illinois:
    Pipeworks
    Revolution
    One Trick Pony
    Half Acre
    Two Brothers

Indiana:
    3 Floyd's 
    18th St. Brewery 
    Burn Em'
    Four Fathers
    Sun King

I have to admit, after Three Floyd’s I’m not familiar with any of those breweries. I’m going to have to keep my eyes peeled in case they distribute to IL. Maybe they can help sway my rankings. ;)

The two IL breweries that I’d strongly suggest you try if/when you can see Noon Whistle and Brickstone. They’ve become two of my favorites. To be fair, I’m yet to try Mikerphone also, which I’ve heard is outstanding. FYI - I also exclude Lagunitas and Goose for the same reasons. Not a huge fan. 
    Whereabouts are you in Chicagoland? 630, so I'm guessing south west side?

I would also note that my rankings are based purely on the IPA's. I don't drink porters or sours and rarely a stout kn and if I do, it is a bourbon stout). I like the hoppy with 50-100 IBU and the hazy IPA is really taking over for me.
  • Options
    ^ Im exactly the same. Usually all IPA and APA and the haze craze has taken me over too.  

Im in Oswego. About 40 miles west of the city. West of Naperville if you’re familiar. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OH yeah!  Brought my son to his first game! @HesCalledDyer I tried a local beer at the game yesterday: cheseapeake common.  Have you had it?  I thought it was very good.  It is breweries in Dundalk, MD.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OH yeah!  Brought my son to his first game! @HesCalledDyer I tried a local beer at the game yesterday: cheseapeake common.  Have you had it?  I thought it was very good.  It is breweries in Dundalk, MD.
    Key Brewing. I don’t think I’ve had it but I’ve had their On Point Ale and didn’t care for it much. Usually I like ambers but it just wasn’t good.
    Have you been to Camden Yards before? I love it there, my favorite park (maybe I’m biased being a Marylander). I always go for a Duckpin from Union Brewing at the park. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Very cool! I took my daughter to her first game at age 5, and my son is now 5 so I’ll be taking him to a Cubs game by the end of the season. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Key Brewing. I don’t think I’ve had it but I’ve had their On Point Ale and didn’t care for it much. Usually I like ambers but it just wasn’t good.
    Have you been to Camden Yards before? I love it there, my favorite park (maybe I’m biased being a Marylander). I always go for a Duckpin from Union Brewing at the park. 
    Yeah bud I have been to Camden Yards many times before.  Out of the 15 or so ball parks I have visited I still think Camden Yards is my favorite.  Ticket prices are insanely cheap compared to yankee stadium.  I haven't seen a ball game at wrigley before so I definitely have to head back and check out a game there.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Im exactly the same. Usually all IPA and APA and the haze craze has taken me over too.  

Im in Oswego. About 40 miles west of the city. West of Naperville if you’re familiar. 
    Yeah, I'm vaguely familiar that far west. No wonder you don't make it over this way for breweries. I'm about 50 miles southeast of downtown and maybe 15 south of Michigan. 

Maybe we ought to meet up at a brewery in between (or downtown) sometime. Share a brew and exchange a 12 pack/case from some of the places we each mentioned above. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah bud I have been to Camden Yards many times before.  Out of the 15 or so ball parks I have visited I still think Camden Yards is my favorite.  Ticket prices are insanely cheap compared to yankee stadium.  I haven't seen a ball game at wrigley before so I definitely have to head back and check out a game there.
    Awesome! Yeah Wrigley is an experience. I always tell folks who’ve never been there to catch 2 games - one in the stands and one in the bleachers. Don’t expect the nicest park in the world (far from it) but what it lacks in amenities it makes up for in atmosphere. The Ricketts have done a lot to improve the stadium so at least they’re trying. And may as well catch a game at Comiskey/US Cellular/Guaranteed Rate/etc if you have the time. It’s a nice park, just facing the wrong direction :lol: 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Yeah, I'm vaguely familiar that far west. No wonder you don't make it over this way for breweries. I'm about 50 miles southeast of downtown and maybe 15 south of Michigan. 

Maybe we ought to meet up at a brewery in between (or downtown) sometime. Share a brew and exchange a 12 pack/case from some of the places we each mentioned above. 
    I’m definitely up for that! Brickstone is in Bourbonnais, but not sure where that is from you. It’s a cruise for me. Or hell, even three floyds. Still haven’t been to the brewery. PM me or shoot me a text sometime and we’ll coordinate it. 
  • Options
    ^Awesome, that definitely sounds like a plan.

Looks like the Jersey Boys plan to divide has backfired! 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    mcgruff10 said:

summer shandy gets old, after a couple.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:

summer shandy gets old, after a couple.
    absolutely!  i am good with two max.
  • Options
  • Options
    A very nice ipa on this hot hot hot Tuesday night. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    First sams octoberfest of the year!!

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ^ Damn...wish I was in Greece!
  • Options
    I’m pumped to expand my horizons with some new east coast brews this weekend.