• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    edited July 2018
    bbiggs said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Drinking a Fat Tire for the first time in about 10 years. Decent beer, but might be another 10 before I have one again. 
    Yeah I am not a fan of fat tire at all.  I don't get the hype.
    Very overrated in my opinion. 
    At one point in time after college, I thought Fat Tire was the shit, but when I tried it recently, I thought it was just shit. I obviously became a full blown beer snob since then :lol:
    This is pretty much the exact same with me. But when I was introduced to Fat Tire, the craft scene hadnt really emerged, so I guess we didn’t know any better. Fat Tire was about as “craft” as it got back then. 
    So true. It was like the "it" beer that when I showed up at parties with it people would scoff knowing I paid $10 for the 6 pack of specialty beer when I could have just got a case of Mich Golden for a few dollars more.

I think my natural progression was Busch Light --> Mich Golden --> Leinies --> Killians Irish Red/Fat Tire --> Guinnes --> Summit --> Craft Beer. When my dad comes over now he always asks if I just have like a Bud Light, which I usually don't because I don't drink that or keep it in stock.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ Thats quite the progression! Mine was a bit more streamlined. Miller Lite—>Rolling Rock (lol)—> Miller Lite—>Fat Tire, 312, Hacker Pschorr, etc (experimenting)—>Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin (this was like a whole new world)—> full blown craft beer snob lol. And that’s where I stand today. It’s rare that I don’t go with a good beer, but Miller Lite is still old trusty if I’m going with piss beer. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Drinking a Fat Tire for the first time in about 10 years. Decent beer, but might be another 10 before I have one again. 
    At one point in time after college, I thought Fat Tire was the shit, but when I tried it recently, I thought it was just shit. I obviously became a full blown beer snob since then :lol:
    Same here lol
    Hey bud, you going to be alright when the school year starts back up? Worried you're going to start shaking about 1 o'clock every day. :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    another great one from Canada.  small place called Nickle brook,  they make alot of sour beer which is slowly becoming my favorite type of beer.

Image result for nickel brook

• Options
    sorry picture didn't show but if ever in Ontario Canada try it out. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Same here lol
    Hey bud, you going to be alright when
     the school year starts back up? Worried you're going to start shaking about 1 o'clock every day. :lol:
    school ends at 2 so i am all good lol.
    during the school year I only drink on The weekends, however pool side during the summer is always the weekend lol. 
    I think my progression was:
    High school: mgd, red dog, olde english/st. ides' 40's 
    College: natural ice/lite freshman and sophomore year
    Junior/senior year: killians, car bombs, cornoas, molson xxx
    Post college: sam adams (is this still considered a craft beer?)/ miller lite

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    I would second the love for nickelbrook. Their headstock ipa is great as is bolshevik bastard. I also really enjoyed the beers by collective arts whilst I was visiting Ontario. There is a really great craft beer bar called c'est what, their butter chicken poutine is amazing.
  • Options
    rw160510 said:
    I would second the love for nickelbrook. Their headstock ipa is great as is bolshevik bastard. I also really enjoyed the beers by collective arts whilst I was visiting Ontario. There is a really great craft beer bar called c'est what, their butter chicken poutine is amazing.
    both great beers, collective arts make great stuff too.  I love their life in the cloud beer.  Side launch also has a great wheat beer. 

• Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    edited July 2018
    fife said:
    rw160510 said:
    both great beers, collective arts make great stuff too.  I love their life in the cloud beer.  Side launch also has a great wheat beer. 

I'll
     keep my eyes open. There is a shop near me that occasionally gets ransack the universe in but it's the only place I have ever seen it in the UK. On a different note I'm on a local West Coast style ipa this evening which I would recommend to any one visiting our shores. In fact you can drink anything by this brewery as they are usually top notch.
    Post edited by rw160510 on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Horos said:

belching beaver :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

I've visited their taproom in the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego. Their beers were alright. They make a peanut butter stout that I found to be vile, but my mother in law loves it so much she has her nephew ship her sixers every few months.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

I've visited their taproom in the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego. Their beers were alright. They make a peanut butter stout that I found to be vile, but my mother in law loves it so much she has her nephew ship her sixers every few months.

the world does NOT need a peanut butter stout. :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     Not a big lager fan. This one was ok. 

Not a huge fan of that beer.  But I do love the Mosaic.  A great, cheaper option.  Whenever I want to save some $$ I'll go with those or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  Or even the Bells Two Hearted.  
    Always down for Two Hearted!
    It's fantastic that they are able to keep it at the price they do while these other breweries are charging anywhere from $14-$20 for a 4pk.  I understand they distribute more and all that, but it's super convenient that a beer that good is available for $10
    Got a 6 pack of Bells the other day to see if something had changed with it based on all the hype around here and still found it about the middle of the road. Maybe I'm crazy, but all my local IPAs are way better than the Bells for the same price. Won't be buying that again for a while.
    I hear what you're saying.  I would take my local IPA's as well,  But none of them are cheaper than that.  Most of the good IPA's here run at $13-17 a 4pk.  But I like Bells enough to have it from time to time

I felt the same way when Sip of Sunshine made its way here a couple years ago.  People going crazy about that beer.  I had it and was kinda meh.  I've never bought it since getting it that first time.  Granted, it's not any cheaper.  But just couldn't see the hype.  Cheers to different tastes!
  • Options
    Oh, and........

Busch bar bottles
    Bud Light
    Miller Lite/PBR/High Life/Naragansett (when I went to a fancy bar without those options it usually a Newcastle Brown...weird, huh?)
    Craft Beer

I used to scoff at people that would spend so much on IPA's and could not get the appeal of them.  Then, one day it just changed.  I'm not sure why. I still love those other beers and there is always an occasion for them (and room in my fridge for them) but I love most all types of craft beer and the number of options there are out there.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ I used to enjoy Newcastle quite a bit. Haven’t had one in years. I wonder what my take would be today. Maybe I should give it a whirl. 
  • Options
    Wow, I completely forgot about Newcastle. I rarely bought it at the liquor store, but it was a standard at the bar or when out for a meal. I think it was one of the first "darker" beers I tried and liked, besides black and tans - those were good! Now I all of a sudden have a hankering to go out and get some.
  • Options
    Let's all go out and get some today/tonight and give our review tomorrow, lol!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

the world does NOT need a peanut butter stout. :nuh_uh:
    But it does need a Peanut Butter Porter!!!

I enjoyed this.
    Image result for terrapin peanut butter stout
  • Options
    Post your "Beer Progression".  I'm curious as to what swill you all used to drink, lol!

Budweiser - Miller Genuine Draft - Michelob- Corona - St. Paulie Girl - Red Stripe - Samuel Adams turned me into the present...
  • Options
    Post your "Beer Progression".  I'm curious as to what swill you all used to drink, lol!

Budweiser - Miller Genuine Draft - Michelob- Corona - St. Paulie Girl - Red Stripe - Samuel Adams turned me into the present...
    Went through a brief Red Stripe phase after we went to Jamaica. Only lasted a few months because, well, it's not the same if you're not on a beach in Jamaica :) Still a good beer with a unique bottle design. I have similar feelings about Corona and it's tie to Mexico vacations.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Went through a brief Red Stripe phase after we went to Jamaica. Only lasted a few months because, well, it's not the same if you're not on a beach in Jamaica :) Still a good beer with a unique bottle design. I have similar feelings about Corona and it's tie to Mexico vacations.
    Similar situation.  I lived in Barbados for a year and drank the local beer "Banks" while I was there.  

Fast forward a few years and I find it in a beer distributor.  I am sooooo excited to drink this again so I grab a 6 pack and get it home and I drink one and it sucks...  Just terrible.

So I am chalking it up as it not being the same atmosphere as Barbados as to my dismay of the beer here in the states.
  • Options
    Smirnoff/Mike's hard Lemonade 
    Bacardi and Coke - because beer was awful!
    Coors/Lite
    Blue Moon
    Samuel Adams/Yuengling Oktoberfest
    IPA's

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    Coors Light
    Bud light
    miller lite
    miller high life
    guiness 
    sam adams
    Flying dog
    Dogfish head/sierra Nevada/lagunitas
    Singlecut/hardywood/others popping up around 11/12
    Current New England haze 

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I used to enjoy Newcastle quite a bit. Haven’t had one in years. I wonder what my take would be today. Maybe I should give it a whirl. 
    Newcastle used to be my go to for a while. Then one overnight camping outing with some buddies I drank way too many and puked my brains out. Haven’t had a Newcastle since and that was like 8 years ago.
  • Options
    Beer progression:

Busch Lite
    Hamms (the Beer Chest - a 36 pack for $8.88!)
    returned to Busch Lite for years
    Newcastle
    Sam Adams
    Summit EPA
    IPA

Now it pretty much IPAs only (Summit Saga/Surly Over-Rated or Axeman/New Belgium Rangers). If it is something lighter I’ll go with Grain Belt Premium, or whatever the neighbor has.
  • Options
    Those Voodoo Rangers are pretty damn good.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Going here tomorrow... hope it's good
    See the source image

www.larareandwildbeerfest.com
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Looks like fun. Though I'd argue that some of those breweries shouldn't be there. I hate paying for brew fests and seeing Samuel Adam's, Goose Island, Leinekugels, Blue Moon, etc...just because they are readily available nationwide. 

But they all seem to be doing that.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I switched from Bud to Widmer Hef in the early 90s and been drinking craft beers ever since.
    #FHP
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Asbury Park brewing company 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......