Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    Had my first bourbon county of the year the other night....a very good batch this year!  I'm slowly becoming a stout guy....
    Had my first bourbon county of the year the other night....a very good batch this year!  I'm slowly becoming a stout guy....
    Funny you say that - I find myself going the same way. Huge hops, bitter, pale-ale-of-any-kind kinda guy, but starting to really love stouts.

This place near me - http://seconddistrictbrewing.com/beer/ - has a stout called Huy, which was (looks like it's off their rotation now) a Vietnamese Cofftee Stout. So good - https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48411/268702/
    I love me a good stout and they are becoming more available which is good because there is onl;y so much you can do with an IPA...
    Eh, that's fine and all, but it ultimately comes down to an individual's tastes/preferences. And I fucking love bitter beers. 

With that said - it may be going hand-in-hand with my coffee obsession lately that I've grown more into stouts.
  • Options
    Funny you say that - I find myself going the same way. Huge hops, bitter, pale-ale-of-any-kind kinda guy, but starting to really love stouts.

This place near me - http://seconddistrictbrewing.com/beer/ - has a stout called Huy, which was (looks like it's off their rotation now) a Vietnamese Cofftee Stout. So good - https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48411/268702/
    I love me a good stout and they are becoming more available which is good because there is onl;y so much you can do with an IPA...
    Eh, that's fine and all, but it ultimately comes down to an individual's tastes/preferences. And I fucking love bitter beers. 

With that said - it may be going hand-in-hand with my coffee obsession lately that I've grown more into stouts.
    Find you a Hotbox Coffee Porter by Oskar Blues brewing.  Very Yummy!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    Malroth said:
    Ugh, my phone screwed up and I just deleted my whole post by accident.  Anyway, to sum up:

@Malroth, definitely check out Orlando Brewing. The Blackwater Porters, Pale Ale, Olde Pelican, and Pompous Ass are all excellent.  And if there is any way you can and would be willing to ship me a bottle or two of the Mint Chocolate Girl Stout, I would gladly pay you!!
    Thanks guys for Orlando Brewing tip.  If I make it there and remember I will look for the girl stout. (why didn't you recommend this
    for me :wink: )
    No clue if they have tours or a bar but I really liked this IPA. Had it in Florida two weeks ago. 

They do tours and they do have a taproom. When I was there, the brewery wasn't very big so the tour wasn't much to see, but the owner was quite informative and you could tell he's extremely passionate about his work.  I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the taproom bartenders were willing volunteers and did not make salary (he pays everyone in beer) but he does allow tips, so tip well!
    He actually knew my small hometown of Cumberland, MD.  He's originally from Youngstown, OH and used to go to Deep Creek Lake nearby.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

Yeah, same here.  I'll never stop loving pale ales and IPAs.  Really loving the new hazy IPA trend lately...very good stuff.  But yeah, definitely starting to get into the stouts....luckily all the Goose Island bourbon county stouts are pretty easy to find in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    A few others have said this already, but I’ve always been an “all IPA, all the time” kind of guy.  Lately I’m really appreciating some good stouts though. Had some Goose Island bourbon barrel over the weekend...wow.  Picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout and its pretty damn amazing as well. 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    bbiggs said:
    A few others have said this already, but I’ve always been an “all IPA, all the time” kind of guy.  Lately I’m really appreciating some good stouts though. Had some Goose Island bourbon barrel over the weekend...wow.  Picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout and its pretty damn amazing as well. 
    Left Hand Milk Stout on Nitro is one that comes to mind - always so, so good.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    That Founders Breakfast Stout is my Go To.  My favorite out there.

BCBS does a fine job.

Oskar Coffee Porter is great.

Founders CBS is amazing.

Chocolate Shake is really fun.

Xocoveza is delicious.

Sammy Smiths Oatmeal stout is great.

Sweet Baby Jesus, Even mas Jesus.

This is just naming a few.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Wednesday night
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Basement project is finally done.  Will be enjoying many craft beers down here.  Going to put a TV in the corner eventually...and plenty of wall space to put up some more PJ posters.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Basement project is finally done.  Will be enjoying many craft beers down here.  Going to put a TV in the corner eventually...and plenty of wall space to put up some more PJ posters.

Good work!

saw these at a brewpub last night. their beers are good but these concoctions sound nasty. are beer cocktails some new thing the millenials dreamed up?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    I'm going to guess it's some thing the hipster millenials have convinced themselves is necessary. Looks like a place that would have an organic vegan menu as well. :fearful:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    Beer cocktails are nasty
  • Options
    I'm going to guess it's some thing the hipster millenials have convinced themselves is necessary. Looks like a place that would have an organic vegan menu as well. :fearful:
    It seems they dig meat so the vegan thing may be out.
  • Options
    ^^^Don't ruin my feel goods man! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Had a couple pints of Jailbreak's The White Russian coffee cream ale last night.  So good.  Had a heavy aroma of coffee grounds.  The flavor was much lighter on the coffee, balanced with a hint of vanilla bean for a smooth finish.  Not my picture, but here ya go:

• Options
    ^ Never had it but sounds amazing.  Definitely going to have to add that to the “need to try” list. 
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Wobbie said:
    saw these at a brewpub last night. their beers are good but these concoctions sound nasty. are beer cocktails some new thing the millenials dreamed up?

I saw those in CO. Had some kind of name that doesn't come to mind.
    #FHP
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    Damn good IPA!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,275
    90 minute's this evening. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome beer. Are you a fan of the 120?
  • Options
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is a frog's ass water tight?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lmao! Never heard that one. “Does a bear shit in the woods?” has been my go to for years. Might need to switch it up. 

120...you’re a brave soul. I enjoy the shit out of the 60 and 90 though. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lmao! Never heard that one. “Does a bear shit in the woods?” has been my go to for years. Might need to switch it up. 

is the pope catholic?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

is the pope catholic?
    Does a whore sweat in church? 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

120...you’re a brave soul. I enjoy the shit out of the 60 and 90 though. 
    I"m just not a fan of the 120.  the 90 is perfect but the 120 is not my cup of tea.  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

is the pope catholic?
    Does a whore sweat in church? 
    I'll have to ask my ex-wife next time I see her. :pensive: 

Sorry, it was there to be said.
  • Options
    ^zing

Gotta be in right frame of mind for the 120. I am a fan
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

is the pope catholic?
    You're old.
    #FHP