Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,841
    ''Tis a boozy football sunday at The Juggler homestead

I have a six pack of 2011 120 Ive been aging. Also have a bunch from 2016 and 2017 and a few from 2014 and 2015. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    Holy 8.25%!  Very good double IPA 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mckaymckay Posts: 158
    Any of you craft beer lovers home brewers as well?
  • Options
    mckay said:
    I tried to make an IPA once and it Came out terrible. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    mcgruff10 said:
    mckay said:
    I tried to make an IPA once and it Came out terrible. 
    LOL...same here.  I'll stick to drinking what the professionals are brewing!  So much good beer out there....no need to make my own shitty IPAs.
  • Options
    Lol...fair enough.  It's a fun hobby and eventually your beer will get better.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    mckay said:

I've been dabbling and it's turned out not bad - I've made blonde ales and a few IPAs. I've gotten slightly better at it and now want to ramp up to the all grain brewing with a more serious setup. The only problem I've ran into in the past brewing was putting wayyy too much priming sugar in at the end and completely soaking my kitchen floor in beer. 
  • Options
    mckay said:

I've been dabbling and it's turned out not bad - I've made blonde ales and a few IPAs. I've gotten slightly better at it and now want to ramp up to the all grain brewing with a more serious setup. The only problem I've ran into in the past brewing was putting wayyy too much priming sugar in at the end and completely soaking my kitchen floor in beer. 
    If you are serious about getting into the hobby and going all grain...I would recommend a software program called Beersmith.  One of the best investments you can make...its about $28...but you can also download and trial for free for a week or so.   Has all sorts of calculators that allows you to figure out how much corn sugar you would need to carbonate a full batch.  There are also all sorts online as well...www.brewersfriend.com is also a great resource.  If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm anytime.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    This is what Mr. Bentley has been enjoying lately!

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Melvin.  Citradamus may have been the best I'll ever have.
    ...and the local boys just kicked ass at the GABF. 
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    very good.
    at 17 dollars per 22 oz
    it
    better be
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    I think I have an imperial stout problem :rofl:
  • Options
    Anyone here give to this?

Quixotic quest: Craft beer "fanatics" raise $1.9M in 30-plus hours to buy Anheuser-Busch InBev http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_31382646/quixotic-quest-craft-beer-fanatics-raise-1-9m
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Great APA. For any 3 Floyds Zombie Dust fans, most consider this as good, if not better, but easier to find (at least in Chicagoland).  It's brewed in Bourbonnais.  I agree it's a damn good beer.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    Malroth said:
    very good.
    at 17 dollars per 22 oz
    it
    better be
    dude! I could buy a case of PBR for that...and have money left over :lol:

was in the hospital last weekend. I haven't had a beer in 11 days. I think it's time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Wobbie said:
    Malroth said:
    very good.
    at 17 dollars per 22 oz
    it
    better be

was in the hospital last weekend. I haven't had a beer in 11 days. I think it's time.
    The older I get the more I spend on stuff that doesn't collect dust.
    I go to a liquor store that just started stocking craft beer, and several cashiers have almost gone into shock
    when I bring some of this stuff to the counter, so ,maybe, the prices are silly.
    YEAH to being out of the hospital, and enjoy your cheap beer.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Great APA. For any 3 Floyds Zombie Dust fans, most consider this as good, if not better, but easier to find (at least in Chicagoland).  It's brewed in Bourbonnais.  I agree it's a damn good beer.

That's a good one.  Not on the same level as zombie dust, but definitely a solid beer.

I'm currently drinking a double IPA called Third Rye Blind by Mikerphone Brewing.  They're a smaller brewery in Elk Grove Village so they don't distribute too much, but definitely check them out if you get a chance!  All of their stuff is very good....they do a lot of the New England style "hazy" IPAs that are the new craze.  So nice to have a brewery only 5-10 mins away.  My biggest complaint when I first moved to the burbs a couple years ago was that there weren't any damn breweries!  Now they're popping up everywhere.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    Someone mentioned trading brewery stickers.  I have these to trade!
    Anyone?
    I have these if you want to trade....(those on top right are coasters, not stickers, fyi).  Just PM me your address and i can do likewise.

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    for Lizard:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    thanks wobbie... do all gi***s fans not know how to spell???  ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard said:
    Someone mentioned trading brewery stickers.  I have these to trade!
    Anyone?
    I have these if you want to trade....(those on top right are coasters, not stickers, fyi).  Just PM me your address and i can do likewise.

Yes ma'am!
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    Wobbie said:
    Malroth said:
    very good.
    at 17 dollars per 22 oz
    it
    better be

The older I get the more I spend on stuff that doesn't collect dust.
    I go to a liquor store that just started stocking craft beer, and several cashiers have almost gone into shock
    when I bring some of this stuff to the counter, so ,maybe, the prices are silly.
    YEAH to being out of the hospital, and enjoy your cheap beer.
    I have to take pics of what I have cellared for you.  Some goodies in there!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,762
    Went to Greenbush (again) this weekend and decided to go a bit further into the mitten to check out a newer brewery called Transient. They have a ways to go with regards to better decor and food, but their beer is solid. Good stuff and recommended.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Steve,
    hazy style IPA s? What are those?
  • Options

Went to Greenbush (again) this weekend and decided to go a bit further into the mitten to check out a newer brewery called Transient. They have a ways to go with regards to better decor and food, but their beer is solid. Good stuff and recommended.
    Still on of my favorite breweries!!! Great beer and the food was amazing!!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Steve,
    It's New England style IPAs.....double IPAs that are dry hopped.  They have a "hazy" appearance....some almost look like orange juice.  It seems to be the new craze in the craft beer world.  This sums them up nicely....

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/15649/its-official-new-england-india-pale-ale-is-a-style/
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Steve,
    It's New England style IPAs.....double IPAs that are dry hopped.  They have a "hazy" appearance....some almost look like orange juice.  It seems to be the new craze in the craft beer world.  This sums them up nicely....

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/15649/its-official-new-england-india-pale-ale-is-a-style/
    To add to this they are not always double IPAs though I guess it's up to the individual to decide at what point it's a double.
    They usually add a flocking agent like corn and or flour to create a haze.
    They also tend to be more juicy then hoppy/bitter
    Sometimes the keg or bottle or can needs to be shaken to get that hazy effect.
    you love the bitter/hoppy IPAs that come out of the west coast, Colorado, etc these are different.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Steve,

To add to this they are not always double IPAs though I guess it's up to the individual to decide at what point it's a double.
    Sometimes the keg, bottle, or can needs to be shaken to get that hazy effect.
    If you love the bitter/hoppy IPAs that come out of the west coast, Colorado, etc these are different.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Steve,

Sometimes the keg, bottle, or can needs to be shaken to get that hazy effect.
    If you love the bitter/hoppy IPAs that come out of the west coast, Colorado, etc these are different.
    Ahh yeah, I meant to say that they are usually doubly dry hopped.  I don't know what the hell that even means, but I do know that these beers taste damn good!
  • Options
    damn they sound pretty potent and good!  I'm gonna have to give them a try. thanks for the explanation steve and bentleypop!
    any go to ones that you guys would recommend?