Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    My beer game has been weak lately because of the move. I put some of the OR beers that we had on the moving truck in the fridge 2 days ago. This Breakside Wanderlust is tasting pretty damn good.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    Malroth said:
    thought it would be too sweet just by the name, but I enjoyed it.  Never had a white stout before.

h

there's a joke in there, somwhere.

that beer actually sounds pretty disgusting.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
     Currently my favorite beer and I'm a stout guy.

drinking beer isn't gonna make you any slimmer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Wobbie said:
    Malroth said:
    thought it would be too sweet just by the name, but I enjoyed it.  Never had a white stout before.

h

there's a joke in there, somwhere.

that beer actually sounds pretty disgusting.
    Yeah, it does sound disgusting.  Black, white, stout or skinny, I'll take any. :wink:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Had some Bissell Bros' Nothing Gold yesterday, it was delicious, and did not drink like an 8+% beer. I highly recommend. 

I came home w/ a case of Lunch from Maine Beer Company. I'll enjoy one or two of those during the hockey game this evening.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,765
    Ohhhh holy fuck!!!! Just stopped in at FFF for a case of Zombie Dust and came across something new they have on tap:

Wait for it....

Zombie vs. Unicorn  (combination of Zombie Dust from 3 Floyd's and Unicorn from Pipeworks
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Ohhhh holy fuck!!!! Just stopped in at FFF for a case of Zombie Dust and came across something new they have on tap:

Wait for it....

Zombie vs. Unicorn  (combination of Zombie Dust from 3 Floyd's and Unicorn from Pipeworks
    I just drank some Unicorn VS Ninja last night!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Don Pendleton designed some cool beer glasses if you are interested.

http://www.newbelgium.com/shop/products#/detail/2017-artist-series-globe-glass
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,765

Wait for it....

I'd definitely like to try that. The guy at Floyd's told me that Pipeworks would likely be canning the zombie vs unicorn but said it would surely go fast. Pipeworks isn't quite as accessible to me as is Floyd's. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

Wait for it....

I'd definitely like to try that. The guy at Floyd's told me that Pipeworks would likely be canning the zombie vs unicorn but said it would surely go fast. Pipeworks isn't quite as accessible to me as is Floyd's. 
    I'll have to keep an eye out for that.  Those are 2 of my favorite beers!  Lucky for me, I have no trouble finding Pipeworks...such a great brewery.  Everything they put out seems to be top notch.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    Buddy of mine who was the bar manager at the bar I go to all the time is now the Maryland sales rep for Flying Fish.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Buddy of mine who was the bar manager at the bar I go to all the time is now the Maryland sales rep for Flying Fish.
    sweet!!  it's a fantastic brewery.
  • Options
    Guys what Is the story with this brewery?  Vedder inspired?
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't know if it's Vedder inspired but it's definitely named after him. Tried it at a brewfest last year. And got the poster.

Also I've talked to these brewers and they are fans and borrowed the song title.

#FHP
  • Options
    Horos said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't know if it's Vedder inspired but it's definitely named after him. Tried it at a brewfest last year. And got the poster.

Also I've talked to these brewers and they are fans and borrowed the song title.

Sweet!  Was the beer any good?
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    The Eddie was okay. A hopped up lager. A little light for my taste.

The Comatose is really good. I tried it first in early 2014 and PJ came up as I was wearing a beanie. Brewers had been to Wrigley the year before.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    We met the crew from Goodlife at the Missoula show.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Made it up to Ommegang Brewery this weekend. Really cool place and grabbed some great beers.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    My nephew is moving from San Diego so I asked him to grab me a few local beers since I never had the chance to visit him. Anyone familiar with these?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Dear Lord, this stuff is strong. I've never had a beer that has tasted stronger than this.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited May 2017
    ^13%, aged in scotch barrels...  I'm sure it has bite to it!

I don't have the bottle anymore bc the label fell off but the highest abv beer I've ever had was around 19%.  It wasn't terribly strong on the palate though, kind of bittersweet but really tasty.  It was a barleywine style ale; Anisocoria from Orlando Brewing.  I aged it for 2 years and shared it with a buddy of mine.  Crazy how half a beer can get you a pretty damn good buzz going!
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    Made it up to Ommegang Brewery this weekend. Really cool place and grabbed some great beers.
    one of my favorite brewery's.  did you get to cooperstown while you were in the area?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    one of my favorite brewery's.  did you get to cooperstown while you were in the area?
    Didn't have time. My daughter was in a Regatta in Bainbridge and we took a quick excursion. The Regatta had a beer tent with Cooperstown and Binghamton Brewery samples. Binghamton was good but I didn't care for any of the Cooperstown beers.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    JK_Livin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Didn't have time. My daughter was in a Regatta in Bainbridge and we took a quick excursion. The Regatta had a beer tent with Cooperstown and Binghamton Brewery samples. Binghamton was good but I didn't care for any of the Cooperstown beers.
    Holy crow is this sentence white as hell, haha. It's ok, though, I used to row. Who does she row for?

On the topic of homebrewing: who here does it? With the impending child on the way, and what me in my mid-30's now, I figured it was time to dive head into full-mid-30's-dadlife activities. Maybe I'll make my own bread and cured meats.

Anyway, I have a starter kit that I want to use to just get my feet wet then put together a decent/moderate sized setup so I can make corny kegs (this is what the kids call them, yes?) of 3 or 4 and put them in a beermeister once I get more comfortable with the process. So, someone, anyone, please indulge me.
  • Options
    haha. She's 13. The Paddle Bums of NJ with her girl scout troop. 
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    haha. She's 13. The Paddle Bums of NJ with her girl scout troop. 
    Haha, well, nevermind then. I was curious if it was one of the local high school/college programs.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    edited June 2017
    JK_Livin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JK_Livin said:

On the topic of homebrewing: who here does it? With the impending child on the way, and what me in my mid-30's now, I figured it was time to dive head into full-mid-30's-dadlife activities. Maybe I'll make my own bread and cured meats.

Anyway, I have a starter kit that I want to use to just get my feet wet then put together a decent/moderate sized setup so I can make corny kegs (this is what the kids call them, yes?) of 3 or 4 and put them in a beermeister once I get more comfortable with the process. So, someone, anyone, please indulge me.

A couple friends and I tried it a few years ago and it turned out to be a disaster.  We were also drinking while we were doing it so in addition to having no clue what we were doing, we weren't sober at all.  But I definitely want to try it again at some point.  Congrats on the baby...we have a 6 month old.  It's crazy how much things change, but it's pretty much the best thing in the world.  My next mid-30s Dad-life activity is to get a smoker....been wanting one of those for years.  
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JK_Livin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JK_Livin said:

A couple friends and I tried it a few years ago and it turned out to be a disaster.  We were also drinking while we were doing it so in addition to having no clue what we were doing, we weren't sober at all.  But I definitely want to try it again at some point.  Congrats on the baby...we have a 6 month old.  It's crazy how much things change, but it's pretty much the best thing in the world.  My next mid-30s Dad-life activity is to get a smoker....been wanting one of those for years.  
    Thanks, man - you as well. Yeah, should be....interesting, to say the least, having another human rely on me to live and breathe; still pretty surreal. Buddies of mine with kids say it doesn't become real until that baby literally is it out in the open and in your hands.

Smoker is another thing on the list - specifically, the Green Egg, but holy shit they're expensive. Those Akorn grills look more my dollar range. Though, I'm assuming to be artisanal I have to go buy my own oil barrel and make it myself? But F that. 

As for brewing...haha, yeah, I'd say staying sober during the process would make sense - what with the flames and boiling liquids. Plus, it seems being ridiculously anal about cleanliness and sterility are key. Which I am not at all good at being.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    A barrel aged beer much more to my taste.  Still haven't gotten over that last stuff.