Options

Suggestion for 10 club (brace yourselves it's a long post)

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited April 2009 in The Porch
This is a thread i started a few weeks back in the technical section but i decided to bring it here for more publicity...IMPORTANT: forget the part where i mention how i got caught a raw deal is no longer relevant, he ended up following through...i feel like a dick for posting it and apologies to who it was for that and i'm also very sorry for re-posting it here again...i'm just too lazy here at 4:00 in the morning to edit it

When it comes to posters, bootlegs, and vinyl being sold on the board, what comes to most people's minds is, "is this person legit?" the credibility of a seller's goods is important to any consumer. An experience i recently had inspired me to come up with this suggestion about how to regulate PJ trade. I bought a bunch of tour posters from a member who had a sale, i sent in $150 for 5 posters. seemed legit enough. boy was i wrong.

so when i was discussing this with a fellow member who had told me that the seller had done this in the past, i thought about a possible solution that the PJ site, be it in the goods section or in the community section, could have a "Trade" portion. and this will be sort of set up in an e-bay fashion. i mean there's no stopping price jacking (that will solely be the consumer's choice to buy the item), but it provides an assurance that the money gets to the seller and the product gets to the the consumer.

the only way i can see this working if 10c played the middle man. 10c will receive both the products and the money, and then send it off to whoever gets what. if there are negotiations, they can be done through PM and the seller can update their listing or inform the 10c that they will be making an exception to their original asking price. this also will ensure privacy protection so that your addresses will remain safe. and also 10c reserves the right to inspect each item for authenticity. (i guess that can also be upon request of the consumer.)

that is just a suggestion...your thoughts? improvements? similar ideas?

again i'm sorry for the fella that sold me the posters...please forgive me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    not a horrible idea... but i see no reason why A) 10C should have to an additional duty to their already extensive list of responsibilities B) we can't be mature and self-governing in matters that have nothing to do with 10C directly

trading has gone on here successfully for years... i feel like i can trust the majority of people here... do i still take post count, length of time in the 10C, and board reputation into consideration before blindly sending off money somewhere? YES

whats next? have 10C filter my email spam? gotta use common sense weather youre buying posters or a larger penis or a resort time share

sorry you had a less than happy transaction though (regardless of if you eventually got the poster, it mustve been pretty slow and lacking communication to warrent this kind of post)

a "trade" section is a great idea to simply reduce porch clutter but it would still be a matter of trust on the traders' parts
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    sgossard3 wrote:

a "trade" section is a great idea to simply reduce porch clutter but it would still be a matter of trust on the traders' parts

that's it right there. 10c should be hands off, with the exception of bouncing thread to the trade area.
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    edited April 2009
    broloco wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:

that's it right there. 10c should be hands off, with the exception of bouncing thread to the trade area.

I totally agree - 10c should not have to be middleman for anything, except to move threads which they already do.

Here's the "I Trust This Seller" thread...could be helfpul when making a trade.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11489&hilit=trade+trust

And finally - pay by paypal. They have ways you can get your money refunded if you get screwed.
    Post edited by dawng on
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Try to find the "I trust this seller" thread. I am pretty sure it got pulled over. It's a good place to start with regard to who has been trustworthy in the past. Now it doesn't mean that someone who is not on the thread is NOT trustworthy, but since you have obviously been burned in the past...

Edited: see above, LOL
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    i actually made a shorter but similar post in the technical forums which is pretty much a dead zone...

i just think it would be great to have a marketplace section on here... the porch should be just for the music... given to fly for live and then a section for buying/selling/trading....

You can keep it consistent w/ the other forums and name the forum"All or None" or "I'm Open"(like a store lol) or "Habit" (b/c it's true) or w/e

It's a good idea though and should be done... it promotes people not having to resort to places like ebay and people here (most) will strive to keep a good reputation among other fans... especially now that 10c members are the only ones who can post here.

however, i don't really think it's the 10clubs responsibility or should be their responsibility to babysit our transactions... i think it should be a buy/sell/trade with caution type thing... i do think though that a feedback function might be good, similar to ebay, and would show in your profile... but that's getting a bit out of hand and i'm not sure how well this message board would support/implement a feature like that.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    i actually made a shorter but similar post in the technical forums which is pretty much a dead zone...

i just think it would be great to have a marketplace section on here... the porch should be just for the music... given to fly for live and then a section for buying/selling/trading....

You can keep it consistent w/ the other forums and name the forum"All or None" or "I'm Open"(like a store lol) or "Habit" (b/c it's true) or w/e

It's a good idea though and should be done... it promotes people not having to resort to places like ebay and people here (most) will strive to keep a good reputation among other fans... especially now that 10c members are the only ones who can post here.

however, i don't really think it's the 10clubs responsibility or should be their responsibility to babysit our transactions... i think it should be a buy/sell/trade with caution type thing... i do think though that a feedback function might be good, similar to ebay, and would show in your profile... but that's getting a bit out of hand and i'm not sure how well this message board would support/implement a feature like that.
    Although, to be honest, it could be a new department of the Ten Club, and pretty profitable for them... doesn't eBay take a fee - couldn't 10C?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    well the only benefit i see to 10c is doing there part to create jobs...but i don't know how financially stable 10c is to afford doing that...i'm not saying it's completely ethical, which is why in there i asked for your criticism, but i'd feel a heck of a lot safer with the security of not getting cut a raw deal