Options

Reason for EV Solo Tour Part II?

OkOk Posts: 2,144
edited April 2009 in The Porch
When I heard the details about Ed's solo tour it seemed a little odd that Liam is opening for him again this year. Think about it, it is somewhat bizzar that Ed would not give that opportunity to somebody else (not saying I didn't enjoy Liam last year at all, but think about it, it does seem odd). Which got me thinking (no jokes please), given all the speculation (and requests) around releasing some type of bootleg/dvd/film and the like, is this tour happening to provide more material for that release? (i.e. I believe Liam and his side kick performed Hard Sun at each show last year)

I think its been pretty well documented that Ed was a little less than please about all the shouting/name calling, etc at last years shows (which of course you'll never be able to eliminate completely), but I just wondering if that might be driving this a little bit too? I mean its not like theres a whole bunch of new material to play, I assuming he will again be doing a number of songs off ITW and various covers.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    If this is the case (and it's not THAT far-fetched, in my eyes), I sure hope the Philly crowd doesn't do what Philly crowds tend to do. And before you locals pretend to get all huffy, you know what I'm talking about. Yes, we have awesome PJ shows here, but will we all behave enough to provide him with obnoxious-free video footage?
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    It will be interesting if he addresses shouting/behavior again this time, like he did in NYC last year (which people obnoxiously ignored (fuckers) :)
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,314
    I felt bad for him with all the shouting and stupid BS last tour, but he obviously knows what he's getting himself into this time, so...
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited April 2009
    I think Liam is touring Europe in May and may have a new albulm out this year too. It may have been convenient for him to open again.
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    et21et21 Posts: 112
    or he could just be playing parts he didn't get a chance to play before.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    im excited to see liam again! he puts on such an awesome show with all of his looping!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Ok wrote:
    It will be interesting if he addresses shouting/behavior again this time, like he did in NYC last year (which people obnoxiously ignored (fuckers) :)

what did he say?
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    Rourke24 wrote:
    Ok wrote:

what did he say?

basically at the beginning of both shows, right after he walked on stage and sat down, somebody yelled "EEEEDDDD" and he was like, yep that's my name, so we don't need to yell it any more tonight, right? and then he made a derogatory comment about the fans in Boston the previous few nights...of course it didn't do much to stop it....
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Ok wrote:
    Rourke24 wrote:
    Ok wrote:

what did he say?

basically at the beginning of both shows, right after he walked on stage and sat down, somebody yelled "EEEEDDDD" and he was like, yep that's my name, so we don't need to yell it any more tonight, right? and then he made a derogatory comment about the fans in Boston the previous few nights...of course it didn't do much to stop it....

thats pretty cool lol. I would pissed if I was ed with alot of screaming during an acoustic set. thanks for replying.
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Ok wrote:
    Rourke24 wrote:
    Ok wrote:

what did he say?

well as long as its not during the actual song, who could complain about people cheering their name on? Boston ruining it for everybody as usual i guess :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Ed probably won't have time to do a solo tour next year. I mean come on they are about to announce a new PJ tour in the next month along with all the new marketining and appearances that goes along with releasing a new album. He is going to be one busy beaver. Plus he has two children now. He likes touring with Liam and this may be his only chance to hit cities he didn't hit last year for a while .
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    Ed probably won't have time to do a solo tour next year. I mean come on they are about to announce a new PJ tour in the next month along with all the new marketining and appearances that goes along with releasing a new album. He is going to be one busy beaver. Plus he has two children now. He likes touring with Liam and this may be his only chance to hit cities he didn't hit last year for a while .

Curious, how do you know he "likes" touring with Liam? Has he talked about this? I mean more than general being nice to the guy he's touring with? I ask because usually the promotors/agents have a lot to do with lining up schedule for the supporting acts and I won't how much Ed knew of Liam before last year - I may be ignorent on this topic.
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Ok wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

Curious, how do you know he "likes" touring with Liam? Has he talked about this? I mean more than general being nice to the guy he's touring with? I ask because usually the promotors/agents have a lot to do with lining up schedule for the supporting acts and I won't how much Ed knew of Liam before last year - I may be ignorent on this topic.
    He's know Liam for years, playing with his dad, Neil and all 3 were on 7 World's Collide, I do remember how he likes playing with Neil & Liam is so similar...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Ok wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

see Neil Finn and Eddie Vedder connection. go listen to 7 Worlds Collide.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    isn't this ev solo tour part 3? :?
  • Options
    wma11 wrote:
    Ok wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

He's know Liam for years, playing with his dad, Neil and all 3 were on 7 World's Collide, I do remember how he likes playing with Neil & Liam is so similar...

Cool. I didn't know that Liam and Neil were father/son but that makes sense. Should have done my homework.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    demetrios wrote:

Part 3 your right but it's gonna seem like part 1 and part 2. Meaning pretty much the same setlist at these shows. Maybe it will be different somewhat but I doubt it. We shall see. :)
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    I heard Liam Finn has some really good pot...
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    Steveo wrote:
    He sure looked like he had some really good pot! :mrgreen:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Steveo wrote:
    He sure looked like he had some really good pot! :mrgreen:

sounds fun.
  • Options
    HopperHopper Posts: 203
    At DC 2 Ed spoke very kindly of Liam...i think he called him a "wonderful human being"...and that he almost brought Ed to tears while watching him play....so yeah i think he definitely WANTED to do another tour with Liam...and Liam rocks...
    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man! WOOOOOOOOO!!"
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    demetrios wrote:

Part 3 your right but it's gonna seem like part 1 and part 2. Meaning pretty much the same setlist at these shows. Maybe it will be different somewhat but I doubt it. We shall see. :)

I was thinking this last week.....how many times can you tour for one 30 min album??
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    demetrios wrote:

I was thinking this last week.....how many times can you tour for one 30 min album??

That is true! He's got one record, I'll Be Lightning, that was released back in '07. Then a live cd titled Live (in Spaceland). I can't wait for Elmo's first record. Oh wait, think he does have a solo album! Already has a greatest hits release! :shock:

elmo.jpg
  • Options
    I had a similar thought when they announced this tour. Since there has been no official talk of a dvd or bootleg from the last two tours, despite the fact that both DC shows were filmed and Ed wore the same outfit both night, I was thinking maybe Ed is "fishing" for a better show or at least some better takes of certain songs. Just my two cents...
  • Options
    I had a similar thought when they announced this tour. Since there has been no official talk of a dvd or bootleg from the last two tours, despite the fact that both DC shows were filmed and Ed wore the same outfit both night, I was thinking maybe Ed is "fishing" for a better show or at least some better takes of certain songs. Just my two cents...

Yep, exactly where I was going, plus I could see him adding a song or two that didn't make it in last time around.