Options

Memphis {Group Rate Hotel}

KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
edited April 2009 in The Porch
Hi,

Any fans interested in staying at the same hotel in Memphis to try and get a discount rate?...I think you need around 10 rooms before you can group rate...It would be cool for a big group of pearl jam/ed fans staying at the same hotel...

I haven't checked into any hotesl for a group rate...

Just throwing it out this idea..

Jeremy
Bye
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Interested. Going to work now but check the Memphis thread. Ozarkcoolchic had some suggestions in there and doesn't live far away..........
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    I'll get on the phone with some hotels, today. I'm sure I can find somewhere that will give us a group rate. If anyone is interested in this; please let me know. My ticket buddy & I will only need a room for Sunday since we are both planning on driving home Sat. night. I'll also call the Gibson Factory & see if they do a group tour rate, too.

Also, if we are wanting to have a typical preparty I need someone in Memphis or the surrounding area to give me some names of bars where we might could do this. I can help organize the party.... but, would definantly want some help.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    sounds good...........i am in.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I plan to be there on Saturday night even though we don't have tickets yet - maybe not ever :( But I will try to remain optimistic. As to a hotel I will probably do Priceline closer to time because I want something cheap. We will be there Sunday night too IF THERE is a concert.

As to places to gather there are tons of bars, but don't know which ones would be best for a gathering. One of my favorite places used to be the Flying Saucer, but it is now the only place in downtown where you can smoke and it is a fog! Non-smokers could not tolerate it.

One suggestion would be the plaza type area right on Beale Street. It is outside park like place that has had a band playing every time I have been there. There is an outside bar there too. So if the weather is nice that would be perfect. There aren't a lot of places to sit though, just some benches and stuff.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    As for the plaze type place outside are you talking about what I last knew was called "The Pepsi Co Pavilion"? I know that Silky Sullivans also has an outside area. Gotta have a "Diver" from Silkys!
  • Options
    As for the plaze type place outside are you talking about what I last knew was called "The Pepsi Co Pavilion"? I know that Silky Sullivans also has an outside area. Gotta have a "Diver" from Silkys!

Yes, it is the Pepsi Pavillion. I'm trying to picture Silky Sullivan's. Is it the one with the supports in the front holding up the front of what used to be a building?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 719
    I'm down with whatever plans are arranged. I'm piggybacking off pearljim hotel wise.

I'm so damn happy about this. I actually SLEPT last night like a comatose baby. I have been deprived of proper sleep the past two nights. I wunder why? :? :mrgreen:
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    That is a good idea on the Pepsi Pav & yes I believe Silky's is the one w the supports. The Diver is that yellow paint bucket drink you see folks carrying around. Also, there is a parking lot between the Orpheum & a parking garage that could hold some sort of tail gating situation. I typically park in that lot or the garage next to it. TN's liquor laws are very lax & I believe they don't have an open container law.

I do have a few emails sent to friends in Memphis for ideas on a local Memphis worthy charity. I'm looking for one that supports the Arts in the schools for lower income children.

I'm about to start the group rate calling. I'll post as soon as I get something figured out.
  • Options
    I've officially called every hotel downtown. There is only about 3 that have enough vacancies to hold a group. I have a quote from The Double Tree: $139/ nite for a traditional 2 bed room or for a king room ( smoking or non smoking) + 15.95% tax. Parking is $20/ night + 9.25% tax. They are willing to put us on the same floor. Also, the hotel is 4 blks from the Orpheum & 2 blks from a trolley stop. Their group dept. is sending me an estimate with other key Memphis info. today. The lady I've been talking with said that if we could know room count by Mon. would be helpful. Also, they will give us a code & rooms will be able to be booked online or by phone.

What does everyone think? This is an AWESOME price for any lodging facility in downtown Memphis.

I also have a call into the Gibson factory about a group rate. So, if you are interested in participating in that let me know. Would anyone like to tour The Civil Rights Museum & Loraine Motel? I'm going to check on group rates for that, too. Also, there's Sun Studios which isn't too far from downtown.....which is a cool stop, too.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Good luck everyone- I know that you all will have fun. Not winning tickets yeasterday through the 10C has kind of turned me off on the whole tour. I don't think I'm going to try for TM tickets either.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I would love to tour the Gibson factory and the Civil Rights Museum. Of all the times we have hung out in Memhis we have not done that. But keep in mind our plans are tentative since I am an "unlucky" person. It all depends on getting tickets and I am not paying Stubhub prices.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    We stayed at The Benchmark Hotel a few weeks ago. It's directly across from the Peabody Hotel and next to the Rendezvous restuarant.

Rates were fairly reasonable. I booked through Orbitz and got a nice deal for a Friday night stay. It's about 3 blocks from Beale.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    We stayed at The Benchmark Hotel a few weeks ago. It's directly across from the Peabody Hotel and next to the Rendezvous restuarant.

Rates were fairly reasonable. I booked through Orbitz and got a nice deal for a Friday night stay. It's about 3 blocks from Beale.

PBM

The Benchmark is wide open the weekend of 6/20 & 6/21. The group rate is $137.98/nite & parking is about $16/day w tax. This is a nonsmoking property. They offer shuttles to Sun Studios & to The Civil Rights Museum. This hotel is located 4 blocks from the Orpheum & 2 blocks from a trolley stop.

Okay folks!!! I need some more feedback!!
  • Options
    BLT975BLT975 Memphis, TN Posts: 59
    If anybody needs any travel advice (hotel picks, locations, etc) as it relates to Memphis, I'm glad to help. I'm a lifelong Memphian, been here for 33 years, and know the city like the back of my hand. Glad to help answer any questions or provide any assistance to those coming here for the show.

Brian
    1994: Pensacola, Memphis
    1995: New Orleans
    1996: Charleston
    1998: St. Louis, Kansas City, Knoxville
    2000: Memphis
    2003: Nashville, Atlanta, Little Rock
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Chicago (I & II)
    2009: Chicago (I & II)
    2010: St. Louis
    2014: St. Louis, Memphis
    2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival)
    2016: Miami
    2018: Chicago (Wrigley I)
  • Options
    BT7772 wrote:
    If anybody needs any travel advice (hotel picks, locations, etc) as it relates to Memphis, I'm glad to help. I'm a lifelong Memphian, been here for 33 years, and know the city like the back of my hand. Glad to help answer any questions or provide any assistance to those coming here for the show.

Brian

That's nice of you. Will you be attending the show(s)?

As to the Benchmark we stayed there a little over one year ago. It is very conveniently located and the staff was friendly. The rooms weren't all that great, but there was nothing really wrong with them.
  • Options
    BT7772 wrote:

Brian
    So, Brian....where would stay? The Benchmark or The Doubletree?
  • Options
    Riverrunner - Yes, certainly plan to be at both shows (if there is a rollover). Didn't win lottery for night 1 but did for rollover. Will hopefully score night 1 via public sale.

ozark - I would probably go for the Doubletree over the Benchmark. The Doubletree was renovated a few years ago and has a nice contemporary feel. The Benchmark is a glorified Best Western. Another good comparison is the Benchmark has a Denny's on the first floor whereas the Doubletree has a TGI Friday's. You can see the clear distinction there I'm guessing. They are, however, in good locations, on opposite corners of Union and 3rd and both directly across the street from the Peabody Hotel and Autozone Park (our baseball stadium).
  • Options
    BT7772 wrote:
    Riverrunner - Yes, certainly plan to be at both shows (if there is a rollover). Didn't win lottery for night 1 but did for rollover. Will hopefully score night 1 via public sale.

ozark - I would probably go for the Doubletree over the Benchmark. The Doubletree was renovated a few years ago and has a nice contemporary feel. The Benchmark is a glorified Best Western. Another good comparison is the Benchmark has a Denny's on the first floor whereas the Doubletree has a TGI Friday's. You can see the clear distinction there I'm guessing. They are, however, in good locations, on opposite corners of Union and 3rd and both directly across the street from the Peabody Hotel and Autozone Park (our baseball stadium).
    That's what I thought about the Doubletree. I've been reading some reviews on traveladvisor & the Doubletree sounds like its worth the extra $30 or so. Plus, the lady that works group sells for the Doubletree was a lot more hospitable that the lady with the Benchmark.
  • Options
    I'll agree that the Benchmark is a glorified Best Western, but you're really paying for location...and I like the Denny's! It comes in handy after a show. :lol:

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    BT7772 wrote:

That's what I thought about the Doubletree. I've been reading some reviews on traveladvisor & the Doubletree sounds like its worth the extra $30 or so. Plus, the lady that works group sells for the Doubletree was a lot more hospitable that the lady with the Benchmark.

Yeah, the extra expense for Doubletree would probably be worth it as it definitely is a nicer hotel. If you want another option, check out the Westin. It's brand new and in the perfect location. It's probably not much more than the Doubletree, probably $140 - 150 per night. Everybody raves about it; I haven't stayed there yet but hear it's quickly become the nicest place to stay downtown. It's directly across the street from Gibson factory and FedexForum. A really nice hotel with great clubs on the first floor.

EDIT: Just confirmed Westin is $149 a night. If price is right, definitely choose it over Doubletree or Benchmark.
  • Options
    I got a room at Springhills Suites for $151 (AAA discount) parking is $12. It's got 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper so divided by 4 not bad. I can cancel anytime if as a group we can do better................

Melissa, did you give them a call? Am I booked in "Psycho" hell? :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    I'll agree that the Benchmark is a glorified Best Western, but you're really paying for location...and I like the Denny's! It comes in handy after a show. :lol:

PBM

Any second thoughts? Thinking about going?
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    I got a room at Springhills Suites for $151 (AAA discount) parking is $12. It's got 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper so divided by 4 not bad. I can cancel anytime if as a group we can do better................

Springhill Suites is nice hotel but MUCH further from the "action" than Westin or Doubletree. Trolley ride or long walk will be necessary from Springhill to get to Orpheum, Beale, etc. whereas at Westin, you are right there in the middle of it all for roughly the same price.
  • Options
    Any second thoughts? Thinking about going?

If he lowers the price, I'll thoughtfully consider. Until then, no. :lol:

PBM

• Options
    ozarkcoolchicozarkcoolchic Posts: 621
    edited April 2009
    pearljim wrote:

No Jim, you're not in "Psycho" hell. I stayed there when I saw Ben Harper @ the Orpheum in Oct 07. They have security in the parking lot and you have to have your room card to enter from the street entrance at any time & after 11 p.m. at the main entrance. The hotel is IMMACULATE. They have a VERY friendly staff (they were constantly cleaning the lobby) & a deluxe continental breakfast. I've got a call into their group sells dept. I've not yet heard back from them. So, I possibly can get ya a better rate with a group rate. You can always cancel and rebook ;)

Also, I would call them & request a room that you can see the River from! :idea:
    BLT975 wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

Springhill Suites is nice hotel but MUCH further from the "action" than Westin or Doubletree. Trolley ride or long walk will be necessary from Springhill to get to Orpheum, Beale, etc. whereas at Westin, you are right there in the middle of it all for roughly the same price.

I'm waiting on a call or email from the Westin also.........
    Post edited by ozarkcoolchic on
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:

No Jim, you're not in "Psycho" hell. I stayed there when I saw Ben Harper @ the Orpheum in Oct 07. They have security in the parking lot and you have to have your room card to enter from the street entrance at any time & after 11 p.m. at the main entrance. The hotel is IMMACULATE. They have a VERY friendly staff (they were constantly cleaning the lobby) & a deluxe continental breakfast. I've got a call into their group sells dept. I've not yet heard back from them. So, I possibly can get ya a better rate with a group rate. You can always cancel and rebook ;)

Also, I would call them & request a room that you can see the River from! :idea:

I hope they call you back then!

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 719
    You got a great AAA price pearljim, and if we can get it cheaper, even better. :P
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    ts217777ts217777 Posts: 25
    This is a great idea, and my lady and I would be interested in getting in on this.

I'll try to keep an eye on the thread here, but if there's an email or PM list I can get on, please feel free to add me.

I'd definitely be interested in a Gibson tour as well.

Thanks
    TS
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    hook it up!!!... or should someone fish on priceline and pass the info on?

btw, M/Ozark... pm if you need assistance
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    et21et21 Posts: 112
    Yes, if it's really cheap. I want a downtown hotel that doesn't have to be too fancy at all as long as it's in a safe area.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.