Options

Stone Gossard to help save sea turtles! - Great Turtle Race! (old)

Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
edited November 2014 in The Porch
Pearl Jam, R.E.M., and U.S. Olympic Swimming Champs Dive In To Save Sea Turtles

Conservation International and National Geographic Combine Science, Celebrity Talent and Action Packed Fun to Help Protect Endangered Leatherbacks in Great Turtle Race

ARLINGTON, Va., April 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Conservation International (CI) and National Geographic will hold a telephone news conference April 15 to kick off the "Great Turtle Race," with 11 leatherback sea turtles competing in an epic journey from feeding areas in chilly waters off Canada's Atlantic coast to breeding areas in warm tropical waters throughout the Caribbean.

Participants in the call include Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard, NBC announcer Rowdy Gaines, Olympic champions Jason Lezak and Eric Shanteau, as well as scientists and experts from Conservation International, the Canadian Sea Turtle Network and National Geographic.

The call-in # is 1-800-894-5910 -- the pass code is "Turtle" and the program title is "The Great Turtle Race." To RSVP, please email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:lbowen@conservation.org">lbowen@conservation.org</a><!-- e -->.

Race fans can see the action online at http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org, created in partnership with NationalGeographic.com, which puts the spotlight on one of today's most iconic animal species and what can be done to protect them and their ocean home.

Who: Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard, NBC Announcer Rowdy Gaines, Olympic
champions Jason Lezak and Eric Shanteau,, Conservation
International Scientists and Representatives from National
Geographic

What: Press Call for The Great Turtle Race: An exciting event that
allows people worldwide to witness these magnificent creatures
journey from their feeding grounds off Canada's Atlantic coast to
nest on Caribbean beaches, and to learn about the challenges and
threats they face along the way.

When: April 15, 1:00 pm EDT USA

Where: http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org, hosted by National Geographic.

Why: To raise awareness and support for protection of leatherback sea
turtles and the worlds oceans.

How: A suspenseful race combining science and action-packed fun via
the interactive website, http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org. The site will
feature a map following the journey of each turtle, with daily
updates by guest bloggers including champions of surfing and
swimming, marine scientists and conservationists.

SOURCE Conservation International
8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    omg...mental image of stone in water helping out sea turtles, similar to south park's take on kanye west in last week's episode... :lol:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    I've missed Mr. Leatherback.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    I donated to CI the last time that Stone was saving the turtles, and let me tell you, for a conservation company, I get TONS of printed material and letters from CI asking for more money. Do we really need to continue chopping down trees to send letters, to ask people to adopt acres of rainforest? It seems counter... intuitive to me.
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Sounds fun!

TrAvELAr wrote:
    I donated to CI the last time that Stone was saving the turtles, and let me tell you, for a conservation company, I get TONS of printed material and letters from CI asking for more money. Do we really need to continue chopping down trees to send letters, to ask people to adopt acres of rainforest? It seems counter... intuitive to me.

Ask to opt out of the mailings. They should have a number in the small print on the back of something you get. Saves trees and money!
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    Makin' the rounds ten miles a day,
    Once a month they'd spot him, here's what they'd say...
    "Here he comes, he's a turtle of the sea.
    He's leatherback. Smile on his face, a shell on his back.
    He's leatherback."
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    :mrgreen:
    awesome!
    very cool mr. gossard.

this:

A suspenseful race

made me laugh. the idea of 'suspenseful' and 'turtles'....just doesn't quite.....jive. :P
    good stuff!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    Good on him for doing this.....

Personally wish more would be done to conserve the ailing species of the world.

Everyone is so wrapped up in greed and profit to forget about the things that are good in the world.

Stone gets my upmost respect for putting his time into this 8-)
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Go Backspacer!!!! swimswimswimswimswim, you can do it, swim swim

http://www.conservation.org/great_turtl ... pacer.aspx

backspacer.jpg
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    'in time for their new album in the fall' i like this a lot even if it is made up!!!!
  • Options
    http://blogs.reuters.com/environment/

"Olympic swimmer Eric Shanteau is coaching female competitor Backspacer, sponsored by alternative rock group Pearl Jam. He had nothing but praise for her training regimen.

“She’s bulked up on jellyfish to a stout 825 pounds, but that being said she is in her peak aerobic shape,” Shanteau said on a telephone conference call promoting the race. “You guys try swimming 4,000 miles down the coast and doing it all lugging around a 1000-pound shell!”

To show what good condition Backspacer is in, Shanteau said, “She’s almost able to do her first sit-up, which for a turtle I think is pretty good … I’ve got faith in our girl. She’s put in the work, she’s put in the training, she’s going to come out on top.”

The competitors should complete the 4,000 mile journey in about 14 days, though the general migrating period lasts four to six months. They’ll be tracked as they swim with satellite transmitters attached to their leathery backs, which will let scientists and fans know not just where they are but how cold the water is and how deep the turtles are diving."

:arrow: see above link for more.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    pdalowsky wrote:
    'in time for their new album in the fall' i like this a lot even if it is made up!!!!
    :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Backspacer, hm?
    :|
    Possible album or song title, y'think?
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    The race has begun and the map is up now.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/turtlerace-map/

Backspacer is off to a turtle's start.

Maybe the other turtles will stop for lunch. ;)

http://kidsblogs.nationalgeographic.com ... pacer.html

http://deepseanews.com/2009/04/the-grea ... nt-page-1/
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    My mom is one of the volunteer turtle people down in Florida... she is some certificate-holder from her town that she runs the volunteer program. I have to tell her about this. She's up at like 5am every morning looking for turtles and their nests.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... -Race.html

Celebrities cheer on favourite runners in Great Turtle Race
    Celebrity turtle-watchers will be cheering on their favoured leatherbacks as the Great Turtle Race kicks off on Thursday in Canada.

Last Updated: 10:23AM BST 16 Apr 2009

The race will kick off in waters off Halifax, Nova Scotia at 11am local time Photo: BRIAN HUTCHINSON
    Over the course of two weeks, 11 of the sea creatures will be tracked as they swim 3,700 miles to the Caribbean as part of an event organised by Conservation International and NationalGeographic.com.

They will be backed by sponsors including bands Pearl Jam and R. E. M, and swimmers from the US Olympic team.

The race will kick off in waters off Halifax, Nova Scotia at 11am local time. The "finish line" will be the turtles' nesting grounds in the Caribbean, which they should reach by April 29.

Leatherbacks are the largest sea turtles and have lived on earth since the times of dinosaurs. But fishing techniques, pollution and egg poachers have seen their numbers decline in recent years.

The eleven selected to take part in the project launched today have been fitted with state-of-the-art satellite transmitters, allowing people to follow their progress and learn about their protection at http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org

Data gathered through the exercise will help experts learn more about their environment, while funds gathered through the race will go into conservation.

It is the second such race organised. Last year 11 female leatherbacks made their way from Costa Rica to the Galapagos Islands, tracked by conservationists.

Roderic Mast, vice president of Conservation International, said: "The magic of the Great Turtle Race is that it puts actual data from migrating sea turtles into a captivating, fun-filled format that draws attention to important biological research and inspires people to act on behalf of ocean conservation."

Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard said: "The fate of sea turtles, the global marine environment and humanity itself are inextricably tied to the choices we make today. Pearl Jam is happy to be a part of the Great Turtle Race and we are encouraging all our fans and friends to join the fun, cheer on our turtle Backspacer and help save the seas."
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Kat wrote:
    Go Backspacer!!!! swimswimswimswimswim, you can do it, swim swim

http://www.conservation.org/great_turtl ... pacer.aspx

backspacer.jpg

Backspacer is so cute! I love that he can play the guitar too! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    From: https://www.pearljam.com/news/great-tur ... backspacer

Pearl Jam Audience Favorite Great Turtle Race Challenge:

Want to do more than just cheer on your favorite turtle? Pearl Jam has a challenge for you. Help us support sea turtle conservation by donating to Conservation International in the name of your favorite competitor. All funds donated in support of the Great Turtle race will be matched by dollar by dollar by Pearl Jam and other race sponsors.

How to take the Pearl Jam Audience Favorite Challenge:
    Vote for your favorite turtle when you make a donation – whatever you can afford – to support Conservation International’s sea turtle conservation efforts at https://secure2.convio.net/cintl/site/D ... tion=form1

The audience favorite winner will be tallied and announced at the end of the race at http://www.conservation.org/turtlerace
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    This is awesome. Can't believe I'll be watching a turtle swim across the atlantic and be receiving daily email updates on the progress...who would have thunk it? :D
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    They should have Twitter updates for this.
  • Options
    Race Update: Day 2, April 17, 2009

All the turtles except for Lindblad have exited the Gulf and appear to be heading south. Cali is taking advantage of his head start and is near the front of the pack. Billy is heading for the east coast of the U.S., and Nueva Esperanza is starting to pick up speed. Seabiscuit spun out once he got out of the Gulf, but he has his bearings and is making progress. Wawa Bear is making a big turn and is the farthest east of any turtle in the race.

Backspacer is doing better...she's in the middle of the pack now. :)
  • Options
    Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    Leave those turtles alone, they go through enough without somebody kidnapping them and bonding a tag or electronic transmitter to their bodies - would you like that?
  • Options
    All the turtles except for Lindblad have exited the Gulf and appear to be heading south. Cali is taking advantage of his head start and is near the front of the pack. Billy is heading for the east coast of the U.S., and Nueva Esperanza is starting to pick up speed. Seabiscuit spun out once he got out of the Gulf, but he has his bearings and is making progress. Wawa Bear is making a big turn and is the farthest east of any turtle in the race.

Go Backspacer GO! We know you can do it! We really want a new album in the Fall....
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Yay Stone! I'll be cheering Backspacer on.
  • Options
    It's Race Day, April 18th and our Backspacer is in 5th place behind, Billy, Nueva Esperanza, R.E.M's Nightswimmer and Cali. Lindblad the Explorer follows. :mrgreen:
    GO, Girl, GO :!:
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    I'm certain that even if Backspacer doesn't win the race, she'll win the popularity contest!

GO BACKSPACER!!! :D
  • Options
    "Billy is pointed straight toward the Caribbean now and is very far away from the other turtles. This big adult male leatherback has family ties in the Great Turtle Race — his cousin Billie crossed the finish line first in the 2007 race. Nueva Esperanza seems to be the farthest along after quietly making steady progress. But Seabiscuit, Backspacer, Nightswimmer, and Wawa Bear are gaining on her. After a few more spins, Cali took off like a shot to catch up with the rest of the turtles by the end of the day. Grembo Jones and Searcher, the two smallest turtles in the race, are taking a very wide turn, almost toward the Azores Islands in the eastern Atlantic."
  • Options
    Backspacer is in fourth place now.

"Nueva Esperanza and Wawa Bear are neck and neck and look like they’re both headed for South America. Billy is on a straight course toward Puerto Rico and making great time, as is Seabiscuit. He has really made up ground on the leaders, with a straight-line cruise toward the Caribbean. Backspacer, Nightswimmer, Cali, and Estéban are also coming on strong."

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/g ... erace-map/
  • Options
    Backspacer is in second place now with Billy in the lead. Go Backspacer!

Day 6
    "Billy is getting close to the finish line in the northern Caribbean—will he finish soon? Nueva Esperanza and Wawa Bear are still nearly tied and heading toward South America, with Estéban and Lindblad the Explorer trying to keep them in their sights. Seabiscuit is not far behind. Grembo and Searcher are still the farthest east of all the turtles—are they trying a backdoor approach to the Caribbean?"

Map & Leaderboard: http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org
  • Options
    I absolutely love this and show my daughter every day now. She is only 4 but loves PJ and turtles so it's a no brainer for her. It's also great learning and entertainment for the two of us. On top of all that, my entire office is checking in every day and rooting for Backspacer! Can't wait to get home tonight to show my daughter that Backspacer is now in second place!!
  • Options
    Day 7

"Billy seems to have gotten stuck. His pause is allowing Backspacer to pass him. Seabiscuit seems to be following the path taken by Nueva Esperanza and Wawa Bear toward South America. Cali seems to have taken a turn to the west. Did he hit a strong current that’s blown him off course? Is he trying a different path?"

Map & Leaderboard: http://www.GreatTurtleRace.org

Hi STONEd and dAMENT-ED's daughter...here's a picture for you. :)

sea_turtle.jpg