Options

(CLOSED HA HA)VINYL...No More Bitching Please...A Case Study

edited April 2009 in The Porch
I know, I know, another post about vinyl...

Here it is...99.5% of all the vinyl collectors on this board are primarily interested in them for their projected 'value' in the future...it is only natural...when you buy an ITW for $40 on 10C, you KNOW that the Benny LP's are going for a shitload of cash and you secretly, or not so secretly, are praying that all the others will too...you cannot help it, so just give it a rest with all the arguing over wether or not to play them and all the other nonsense...a PLAYED LP is not going to be as valuable as an UNPLAYED LP under any circumstance...I will freely admit that when I was in a record shop in LA and saw a USED ITW (not even the fan club version) on the wall behind the counter for $225, I thought, "wow, I have one of those and it's better and it's not even open...I wonder what it would be worth." It's the nature of the beast...think of all the dumb-ass rednecks who bought the Gibson Dale Ernhardt Les Paul for $2000 and the year of his death sold it for $10,000...not entirely the best topic-specific example, but projected value comes into play for most of us in a huge way....

So, without bitching or arguing or rattling off...I propose this to you...

IF YOU BUY THE VINYL PRIMARILY BECAUSE YOU EXPECT THEM TO GAIN SIGNIFICANT VALUE,
JUST TYPE A +1

Thanks...

P.S. I bet not even 25 of you have the guts to admit this, as you fear it may tarnish your PJ Fanclub "cred"
"No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    99.5% is ridiculously high and you know it.

Interested? Yeah.
    Primarily interested? Fuck no.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    over_bends wrote:
    99.5% is ridiculously high and you know it.

Interested? Yeah.
    Primarily interested? Fuck no.

STRIKE ONE !

Even quicker than I thought!!!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    whats the difference between the 10C and retail version of ITW vinyl?
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    lukin14 wrote:
    whats the difference between the 10C and retail version of ITW vinyl?

10C version included a 7" in addition to the regular LP :)
  • Options
    I'll be completely honest with you. I buy the vinyl because I love the sound of it. I'd take the sound of a record over a cd any day. I bought the "Into the Wild" vinyl and yes, I have spun it. I think there is something to be said about the quality of a great sounding record.
  • Options
    I'll be completely honest with you. I buy the vinyl because I love the sound of it. I'd take the sound of a record over a cd any day. I bought the "Into the Wild" vinyl and yes, I have spun it. I think there is something to be said about the quality of a great sounding record.

Read the last bold line of the posting...

:lol:STRIKE TWO
  • Options
    I'll bite... the only two PJ vinyls that I have are the Benny and No Code.

With the BH, I managed to get a copy through the 10C and thought that it would be cool to have something that would be worth crazy bucks to PJ fans for only $35 - not looking to sell my sealed copy anytime in the future, so I'm not in it for the profit.

WIth the No Code, I was in a shop buying a 2003 bootleg and the owner showed me a copy of No Code in decent condition that he was willing to let go for only $25.

I guess that in a sense, I am only interested in PJ vinyl for its value. Just that I'm not looking for a profit, only to get some sought after items for a decent price.
  • Options

haha take it as you like, but what I meant is that some songs sound better on vinyl.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    if i bought all my pj vinyl in hopes of it becoming valuable, i wouldnt tear into the sealed albums i get off ebay. would I? I've ripped into a couple yields, riot acts and one of each of the rest. I get em to listen. my into the wild is opened AND scratched.

STRIKE ONE FOR YOU

(im in the .5%)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options

haha take it as you like, but what I meant is that some songs sound better on vinyl.

I know I'm coming off like a prick, but, for the record, I like the sound of vinyl, too...when they released the LP of VS before the cd I was thrilled to listen to it...still have it, and I still love it...just not the question I'm asking, that's all... :)
  • Options
    if i bought all my pj vinyl in hopes of it becoming valuable, i wouldnt tear into the sealed albums i get off ebay. would I? I've ripped into a couple yields, riot acts and one of each of the rest. I get em to listen. my into the wild is opened AND scratched.

STRIKE ONE FOR YOU

(im in the .5%)

STRIKE THREE....letting your emotions overflow does not answer the simple question of this posting... :oops:

Not a single +1 yet.....project literacy has failed...
  • Options
    [/quote]

I know I'm coming off like a prick, but, for the record, I like the sound of vinyl, too...when they released the LP of VS before the cd I was thrilled to listen to it...still have it, and I still love it...just not the question I'm asking, that's all... :)[/quote]

Fair Enough. I guess I would fall into the .5 percent as well then. Vs. is my favorite record to play too.
  • Options
    was the LP of VS released before the cd? i dont think so. vitalogy you mean, right?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Dude, you made a gross generalization and expect not to be called on it?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options

STRIKE ONE FOR YOU

(im in the .5%)

Also, Canada doesn't count...

Relax, I'm just f-ing with you!

:D
  • Options
    was the LP of VS released before the cd? i dont think so. vitalogy you mean, right?

no VS

I distinctly remember...and I'm not talking fan club back then, just retail...I bought it at Let It Be Records in Minneapolis
  • Options

no VS

I distinctly remember...and I'm not talking fan club back then, just retail...I bought it at Let It Be Records in Minneapolis

Granted I was only 7 when this came out, but from what I heard, wasn't this because they changed the name so late? I heard they had to change all the cd labels which is why vinyl came out first and the first copies of Vs. don't say Vs. on the case? Please correct me if i'm wrong
  • Options

no VS

i dont think it was BEFORE the cd, that is very vitalogy sounding. i dont doubt it was released at the same time, because VS broke the record for first week of sales. it couldnt do that just on vinyl. i could be wrong of course, id just really like to know, if anybody can shed some light
  • Options

Granted I was only 7 when this came out, but from what I heard, wasn't this because they changed the name so late? I heard they had to change all the cd labels which is why vinyl came out first and the first copies of Vs. don't say Vs. on the case? Please correct me if i'm wrong

from wiki

PACKAGING

The black and white picture on the album's front cover is of a sheep from a farm in Hamilton, Montana. According to Ament, the cover was a representation of how the band felt at the time, with Ament stating "we were slaves."[7]

The album booklet contains additional drawings and writings by Vedder, including one page apparently doodled at a business meeting that says "I will never trust anybody again."[18] The lyric page for "W.M.A." features a portion of a news story concerning Malice Green, allegedly a victim of police brutality.

Originally, the album was titled Five Against One (The song "Animal" features the lyric "One, two, three, four, five against one..."). Concerning the original album title, Gossard said, "For me, that title represented a lot of struggles that you go through trying to make a record...Your own independence — your own soul — versus everybody else's."[2] The album title was changed at the last minute, first to a self-titled album and then to Vs., a nod to the general theme of conflict present in most of the songs on the album. Regarding the title Vs., Vedder said, "They were writing all these articles...Our band against somebody else's band. What the hell are they talking about? You know, don't try to separate the powers that be. We're all in this together."[24]

The decision to change the album's name at the last minute resulted in a few different versions of the record:

1. Some of the first pressings of the cassette still contained Five Against One printed on the cassette itself.[25]

2. The first couple of pressings of the CD and cassette do not contain the title printed on the artwork at all.[25][26]

3. The vinyl version has never had the title printed on it.[27]

There are also different versions that are unrelated to the title:

1. The initial versions of the CD came in an Ecopak, which was a variation on the traditional CD sized Digipak. While not rare, they went out of print quickly and are now hard to find. The song titles aren't printed on the back cover of this version, but the artwork remains the same.[28]

2. The picture of the "elderly woman" changed at some point after the first pressings. Allegedly, the original woman never gave permission for her picture to be used, so Pearl Jam changed the picture to another woman.[29] The difference is easy to spot, as "the new and improved woman behind the counter" is printed below the picture.[30]

3. The cover art on the vinyl copies is different from the CD and cassette.[27]

4. The lyrics to "Indifference" are only printed in the cassette version.[25]
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Dude, you made a gross generalization and expect not to be called on it?

My intent was to see how many people could drop their egos and admit their blatant desire to hopefully someday 'cash-in' on a collectable....

I admit this, despite it's lack of popularity. I am a person who deeply loves Pearl Jam's music, but when you buy a $30 t-shirt that includes a free single and it immediately sells on Ebay for $178 without the shirt even...gimme a break...and if you cannot admit that that enters your mind without some bullshit 'coming to arms' in defense of our beloved superheroes, it's pretty sad.

I am not the one driving up astronomical bids on items when they go for sale (though I suspect MANY of my fellow forum members ARE)...I am merely watching it unfold and commenting on it....
  • Options

no VS

i dont think it was BEFORE the cd, that is very vitalogy sounding. i dont doubt it was released at the same time, because VS broke the record for first week of sales. it couldnt do that just on vinyl. i could be wrong of course, id just really like to know, if anybody can shed some light

I'm just gonna stick with my guns because there is no way back then that I would have not bought the CD...I had to go to my friends' house to borrow his turntable........
  • Options
    2. The picture of the "elderly woman" changed at some point after the first pressings. Allegedly, the original woman never gave permission for her picture to be used, so Pearl Jam changed the picture to another woman.[29] The difference is easy to spot, as "the new and improved woman behind the counter" is printed below the picture.[30]

this is interesting, i have every copy of the VS cd (eco, VS and non-VS) all my elderly ladies are the same! I want to see one of the changed ones....

ANYways, back on topic, I dont buy the vinyl for value. just for listening pleasure. sticking to my guns, letting my emotions overflow, answering your question. project literacy!
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options

I have ITW, Vitalogy, and a slew of Holiday Singles. All of them get played. That's why I buy vinyl, it sounds so good.
    Throw Your Hatred Down
  • Options
    I bought the soldier field vinyl... unopened in 2008. When I got it home I ripped it open and played it.

I bought the weezer red album deluxe version today to listen to.... I sit behind a computer all day and have 180 gigs of music. I get tired of hearing the empty sound of an mp3 and cd's sound is a little better, but still pathetic.

I would never sell any of my vinyl. I just got joe strummer's street core off google for $30 bucks... it goes for $200 on ebay. I play the fuck out of it.

I enjoy Vinyl. I am not a fan of making a profit off of the bands I enjoy.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i buy the vinyl to PLAY it. not to let it sit & collect dust. i like the sound of vinyl and love the packaging. i have never bought a record & kept it sealed and i strongly doubt that i ever will.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 111
    I wanted Benny hall bad knowing it was going to be a sort after collectable and in limited release. I got it when Ten Club put it on sale and was stoked to secure one when there was so few, haven't played it yet but it is open and I would NEVER sell it, so what does that do to your theory??
    Im not supersticious, Im just a littlesticious.
  • Options

You, fine pearl jam fan are the ultimate winner...no paragraphs, just your input...kudos
  • Options
    Glen wrote:
    I wanted Benny hall bad knowing it was going to be a sort after collectable and in limited release. I got it when Ten Club put it on sale and was stoked to secure one when there was so few, haven't played it yet but it is open and I would NEVER sell it, so what does that do to your theory??

My true theory was that I couldn't even get 25 people to admit this on this site(read the very bottom of my post), and that no one could simply express their answer with a simple +1...so all of you have reinforced my theory...except for the ONE of you who simply responded with a -1...not in agreement by putting a +1, but they actually could read and follow the instructions of the post...the funniest thing is that all the long-winded grumbles I received are probably what you would have people believe is your 'passion'

There are MANY people on this board who spend tons of money for PJ LPs, yet claim a "oh, no, not me, I'd never" attitude...hilarious. (In a sad kinda way)

Thanks for participating and proving me 100% (or at least 99.5%) correct... ;)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Somewhere I still have a sealed VS. I remember buying it YEARS ago because I couldn't find my other one (which had actually lent to a friend who gave it back to me!). Having my 'old' one back I put this one 'away' but Lord knows where... it is somewhere in this house.... **starts rummaging in the cupboard under the stairs**

Anyone want to buy a sealed VS? ;)