O.A.R. inspired by PJ

2»

Comments

• sgossard3 wrote:
    hell yah! you an alum or a student? or just someone living in central IL for the warm weather and expansive scenery? ;)

I went to ISU. Are we all from Central Illinois in this Post? I will say that Unofficial was a lot of fun.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • I will say that Unofficial was a lot of fun.
    IS alot of fun! a lil less than 2 months away! not that i cant binge drink any day i want to :D

and yah it seems like everyones from the same spot... must be something to talking about OAR that appeals to us in the chilly central time zone
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    and the ones that do suck listen to OAR, DMB, rap music, and then some 80's bands just cause nostalgia is sooo in right now

thank you. and to add to this, its not just that they listen to these two bands in particular its that most of them worship them. they also parade them around as if they are the best bands ever and proof of their music individuality (way to go out on a limb). all of the reasons and excuses made to like this band have been fairly shallow. "that song crazy game of poker reminds me of this one time me and my buddies played this crazy game of poker (or a time at party or bar)". others have said they may not be talented but theyre just a fun band to play at a party or whatever. i dont just hate frat boys, i know alot of guys in fraternities who are fine. its just that this music proliferates in them because its fun and stupid but they explain it as them being the best band ever because their jam band status and unique musicianship. they suck, i'd rather listen to hanson, at least that would be original.
    the ice on my teeth makes the crystal cold
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hell yah! you an alum or a student? or just someone living in central IL for the warm weather and expansive scenery? ;)

Nope, didn't go there but have been an Illini fan since I can remember. A lot of my best mates have gone there. Great school.
  • my stoner friends like them, so i guess they are stoner rock too.
  • they suck, i'd rather listen to hanson, at least that would be original.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!
    awesome!
  • Illini Alum in the house! I'll be back down there next year for grad school too.
  • Nope, didn't go there but have been an Illini fan since I can remember. A lot of my best mates have gone there. Great school.
    cool cool! yah its a good time!

DAMMIT... just before this post i had a whole 2 paragraph rant about shitting "jam bands" (OAR, DMB... as well as more accepted ones like umphreys, moe, yonder, string cheese, etc) and how there hasnt been a legit band deserving of the title "jam band" since phish... i wont repeat everything i said but it was pretty eloquent and mentioned some good 60s and 70s jams... and totally put to bed the whole idea of OAR being any good... damn porch always having technical difficulty and freezing just when i write my best shit :D

basically i dont care what anyone listens to as long as they dont try to justify its merit to me with bullshit reasons

• Uncle Neil wrote:
    Illini Alum in the house! I'll be back down there next year for grad school too.
    sweet! if i ever find the necessary musicians to start my grunge music cover band you should come check us out next year... its hard to find kids these days that can rock and are into good 90's tunes

sgossard3 wrote:

DAMMIT... just before this post i had a whole 2 paragraph rant about shitting "jam bands" (OAR, DMB... as well as more accepted ones like umphreys, moe, yonder, string cheese, etc) and how there hasnt been a legit band deserving of the title "jam band" since phish... i wont repeat everything i said but it was pretty eloquent and mentioned some good 60s and 70s jams... and totally put to bed the whole idea of OAR being any good... damn porch always having technical difficulty and freezing just when i write my best shit :D

basically i dont care what anyone listens to as long as they dont try to justify its merit to me with bullshit reasons

I've always wondered why it froze at the same time everday.
  • sgossard3 wrote:

Just one question: I can't speak to O.A.R but regarding DMB, have you ever seen them live? I think their last few albums have kind of sucked but I have always thought they put on a really good show and had some great jams. Does a band have to jam out on a song for a half hour like Phish or the Greatful Dead in order to be a "jam" band? Most bands just play their songs man. Other bands like PJ and DMB spice it up more. In fact, DMB jams out a lot more than Pearl Jam does and for a longer time.
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    sweet! if i ever find the necessary musicians to start my grunge music cover band you should come check us out next year... its hard to find kids these days that can rock and are into good 90's tunes

Well I'll definitely do that, and I also play guitar ;)
  • Just one question: I can't speak to O.A.R but regarding DMB, have you ever seen them live? I think their last few albums have kind of sucked but I have always thought they put on a really good show and had some great jams. Does a band have to jam out on a song for a half hour like Phish or the Greatful Dead in order to be a "jam" band? Most bands just play their songs man. Other bands like PJ and DMB spice it up more. In fact, DMB jams out a lot more than Pearl Jam does and for a longer time.
    i have seen DMB live 3 times (friend in the warehouse)... i liked it for what it was and the atmosphere, but i have fun at soccer games for the atmosphere too and absolutely hate soccer... and to be a "jam band" you must know how to jam in general regardless of length... good jam bands can keep your attention throughout a jam even if it is 45 minutes long... and "most bands" atleast the ones i mentioned dont just play their songs, they make attempts at jamming that are dull... please dont lump DMB in with PJ or compare them... PJ doesnt "jam" really all that much at all with the exception of RVM, porch, a few other live variations... but then we could get into the difference between soloing and jamming with is a whole other matter... and the abundance and lengthiness with DMB's "jams" is my problem with them in the first place...

• Uncle Neil wrote:
    youre in!

• sgossard3 wrote:
    i have seen DMB live 3 times (friend in the warehouse)... i liked it for what it was and the atmosphere, but i have fun at soccer games for the atmosphere too and absolutely hate soccer... and to be a "jam band" you must know how to jam in general regardless of length... good jam bands can keep your attention throughout a jam even if it is 45 minutes long... and "most bands" atleast the ones i mentioned dont just play their songs, they make attempts at jamming that are dull... please dont lump DMB in with PJ or compare them... PJ doesnt "jam" really all that much at all with the exception of RVM, porch, a few other live variations... but then we could get into the difference between soloing and jamming with is a whole other matter... and the abundance and lengthiness with DMB's "jams" is my problem with them in the first place...

Hey so at least we agree on where PJ stands as far as being a "jam" band. That was my point being that you are obviously a Pearl Jam fan regardless that they are not a "Jam" band. So your issue is that you don't like it that people refer to DMB as a "jam" band because you don't consider them one either. Correct? And I wasn't talking about the bands you mentioned. I was saying at concerts in general mosts bands run through their set lists and don't mix things up nearly as much as DMB or Pearl Jam does. That's all I'm saying.
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    never heard of 'em
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • OAR is a nice change of pace once in a while. I don't mind them at all. A few songs of theirs are really good. Crazy Game of Poker was a huge college drinking song for me and my friends :D

They came to college when I was there and put on a decent show, nothing incredible though.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
    Uncle Neil wrote:

You can add me into the mix too. Guitar, vocals, piano, and uke here.
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I didnt really read through more then the first page so I dont know if this has been mentioned. But they cover Release and Footsteps as well. I used to love OAR then I saw them live twice. I cant stand them anymore. Seeing them live really ruined everything for me. They were horrible each time. Probably the worse concert ive been too...and Ive been to quiet a lot of bad concerts.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • You can add me into the mix too. Guitar, vocals, piano, and uke here.
    nice! looks like we'll have a nice lil band :D

i already know of a decent drummer... all we need is a bass player...