Options

O.A.R. inspired by PJ

haashaas Posts: 46
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Just stumbled upon OAR accidentally.. heard Black rock which is phenomenal... Anyway, in checking the bands bios, they credit Pearl Jam as the most influencial band in making OAR. While I've heard praises from many bands and musicians (Ben Harper dubbing them the greastest band ever) I've never heard it put such a way... the reason OAR exists is because of PEarl Jam.. Any other OAR fans out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OAR is terrible man. Nothing more than a shitty college "jam" band.
  • Options
    haashaas Posts: 46
    Isnt that the first rule of anything... you can dislike something... but it doesnt mean its shitty...Oh well go on with your ignorant self....
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    I saw them a couple summers ago and they were fun live. They played "Black" which made it a good show for me. I'm not one of those people who get upset when someone covers PJ, I actually appreciate it!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    love this band- thanks for sharing this info
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    they're alright. at least until their last album. my old roomate loves em.
  • Options
    O.A.R. is my second favorite band to see live!
    " to myself i surrender, to the one i'll never please"

May 13,2006...Hartford,CT back on the map!!!
  • Options
    i used to listen to OAR constantly, years ago. i loved the fact that they were a good band that wasn't really mainstream. then "Love & Memories" became a huge hit and i was sort of disappointed that they became more popular. Although i am happy for all of their success! Pick up their live cds, they're great. I think they have a new one out.
    Lollapalooza 2007
    Eddie Vedder 8-22-08
    Chicago 8-23-09
    Chicago 8-24-09

"The love received is the love that is saved" - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Your question made me curious as well. So I went to google and typed in

O.A.R Pearl Jam

and what do you know...

http://www.dawgnetnews.com/archive/060409/3629.html

http://www.enotes.com/contemporary-musicians/o-r-biography
  • Options
    oar has gotta be one of the most generic and unimpressing bands ive ever heard in my life. dave matthews cross with rock and roll for frat boys.
    the ice on my teeth makes the crystal cold
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    haha, i went to college with these guys. they used to play at parties we would throw at our house, i swear! the drummer had a crush on my girlfriend and shit. they were cool guys, good college band... always a bit to long winded for me...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    oar has gotta be one of the most generic and unimpressing bands ive ever heard in my life. dave matthews cross with rock and roll for frat boys.

I haven't heard all their songs but none of the ones i heard sound anything like Dave Matthews Band. Is this just because they have a Sax player? Following your logic I guess Dave Matthews is an E Street Band cross with blue grass for frat boys..... ya know... cuz they added the violin player.
  • Options
    good argument. i meant the vibe they give off and the people who love this band usually think dave matthews is some sort of god. i also remember a friend demonstrating to me how many of their songs were the same chord progression. i find them lame and uninspiring thats all. and they give off the jam band aura more than bruce and the e street band for sure. so i don't see the comparison there. i had a roomate freshman year who worshiped these guys and after a bit i was tired of hearing about the black rock or a revolution jah so forgive my venom towards them.
  • Options
    good argument. i meant the vibe they give off and the people who love this band usually think dave matthews is some sort of god. i also remember a friend demonstrating to me how many of their songs were the same chord progression. i find them lame and uninspiring thats all. and they give off the jam band aura more than bruce and the e street band for sure. so i don't see the comparison there. i had a roomate freshman year who worshiped these guys and after a bit i was tired of hearing about the black rock or a revolution jah so forgive my venom towards them.

Well I am not a big fan of theirs or anything and like i said i have not heard all their stuff. Your statements about cord progression intrique me though. I am going to have to listen more closely the next time i hear one of their songs.
  • Options
    i consider myself an amatuer guitarist. suck at theory. but my buddy was pretty good. i remember him coming into my room and playing the same three or four chords and singing about 3 of their songs over them. i havent heard them since freshman year so maybe they've improved a bit.
  • Options
    I never really go into them. But what do you know... A lot of my fraternity brothers did. I have friends that have seen them 40 times. That's twice as many as I have seen PJ.

I give OAR props for their early writing. I am only a fan of a few of their songs. They have a Live album that is called "Any Time Now". It's something to check out.

They used to cover a PJ song almost every show. Not sure if they still do this. I know they have covered Black, Breathe, Footsteps, Porch, Release. They have used Daughter in tags of their own songs.

You can Download pj covers songs here:

http://www.oarsa.org/features/songs.php?cat=covers&sort=

Also, There is a boot somewhere of OAR where Marc, the lead singer, says something about 2 or 3 of the band members having Ten Club Memberships and that he had Seniority over the others. It's back when that meant you got better seats for the shows if you had Seniority. It's pretty funny.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    I'm not a big OAR fan but I'll listen to em. What I have never understood is what this "Frat Rock" is. I was in a frat and it seemed to me the generic music was whatever rap song topped the charts at that moment. Since I got on this board I've seen OAR consistently trashed as frat rock. Is this because people don't like them, don't know why, and also don't like frat boys so they figure they'll put them together into one nice little hate sandwich? I don't know what the members of OAR look like, are they bro dogs?

My frat was fairly weird and not what you would consider a typical chapter, so this kind of thing thoroughly confuses me. Any help?
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    I liked their first three albums and some of the fourth, but I've really lost interest since they've "made it big". And it's not because of the fact they made it big, I just think their new stuff flat out sucks. Just doesn't do it for me. I know it's not the most complicated music, nor will it blow your mind, but I like it because a lot of the lyrics are fun and stuff you can connect to and have a good time with. I still love it when Crazy Game of Poker comes on at a party or a bar or something (even though I've heard the song about 10,000 times). I was really into them in high school so listening to them now kind of brings me back to some fun times I had back then. I hate all the categorical crap that everyone forces upon bands, "dave matthews mixed with frat rock". What the hell does that even mean? Music is meant to be enjoyed, regardless of what conglomeration of bands you think it sounds like. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I hope it's not just because they slightly resemble a category of music that, when mixed with another category, might be something that a frat guy would listen to.

Sorry, not trying to bitch too much or anything, I just hate these generalizations that everyone gives. (Including my PJ hating friends that equate PJ to Creed and Nickelback).
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I went through a spell where I really liked them. I still enjoy their live recordings every now and then, but I was turned off to them when I saw them live a couple of years ago at 24 I felt like the old man in the concert. "Love and Memories" really got them a fan base that I can't take. "Old Man Time" is a fantastic song though.

As far as the chord progression. They have a couple of songs that follow the C-G-Am-F progression (Poker, City on Down, and another). That doesn't bother me very much. One of my favorite bands of all time is Better Than Ezra which follows the G-D-Em-C progression on at least 4 songs. Let's not forget that Eddie follows a G-C-D progression a lot, and the E, A, B.
  • Options
    OAR is terrible man. Nothing more than a shitty college "jam" band.
    seconded... of the same caliber as DMB... having them at all associated with PJ is insulting and im surprised how many OAR fans are on this board to be honest... no offense to anyone personally :)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    haas wrote:
    Isnt that the first rule of anything... you can dislike something... but it doesnt mean its shitty...Oh well go on with your ignorant self....

I dislike OAR...

AND IT'S SHITTY.

They probably didn't mention DMB as their biggest influence because it would be EVEN MORE obvious how much of a half-assed knockoff they are.

Good day!
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    seconded... of the same caliber as DMB... having them at all associated with PJ is insulting and im surprised how many OAR fans are on this board to be honest... no offense to anyone personally :)

You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup... oh but it looks good on you though.

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    SilverSeed wrote:
    You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup... oh but it looks good on you though.
    that would be a great deal right now considering its cold outside and i have a bit of a cold... where did you say these hat / soup combo meals are offered?

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    that would be a great deal right now considering its cold outside and i have a bit of a cold... where did you say these hat / soup combo meals are offered?

Bushwood Country Club
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

I think it's called Bushwood. Now that Dangerfield is gone I heard it's a nice place.

Edit: Beat to it, damn.

• Options
    SilverSeed wrote:

Gunga ga lunga, my friend
  • Options
    SilverSeed wrote:
    I think it's called Bushwood. Now that Dangerfield is gone I heard it's a nice place.

i dunno... as a big journey fan i actually didnt mind his radio golf bag

• Options
    SilverSeed wrote:
    My frat was fairly weird and not what you would consider a typical chapter, so this kind of thing thoroughly confuses me. Any help?

I feel your pain with the people on this board that don't like fraternities. I truly disliked the "frats" at my school. Then Half way through freshman year I realized that the friends I met in college, played music with, went to concerts with... were Tekes.

People always see the bad side of being greek bc of what happens in the news. They never realize that all fraternities are different. My house was very diverse. We had people from different back grounds, ethnicities, countries, sexual orientations. It was truly a great time in my life and I have A great group of friends that I will have for a long time to come. I also know that being in the organization I was able to help many people, both in the fraternity and through philanthropies for charity.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    i go to the university of illinois... largest greek system nationally... i think i know what im saying when i say frats fuckin suck... and the ones that dont suck quite frankly dont get any pussy, parties, or recognition as a legit frat... and the ones that do suck listen to OAR, DMB, rap music, and then some 80's bands just cause nostalgia is sooo in right now

i should probably add im not taking a shot at everyone assiociated with frats... i know a lot of "bros" that are cool outside the context of their frat... i just dont care for the system or when they roam in packs :D

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i go to the university of illinois... largest greek system nationally... i think i know what im saying when i say frats fuckin suck... and the ones that dont suck quite frankly dont get any pussy, parties, or recognition as a legit frat... and the ones that do suck listen to OAR, DMB, rap music, and then some 80's bands just cause nostalgia is sooo in right now

i should probably add im not taking a shot at everyone assiociated with frats... i know a lot of "bros" that are cool outside the context of their frat... i just dont care for the system or when they roam in packs :D

CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEF
  • Options
    CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEF
    hell yah! you an alum or a student? or just someone living in central IL for the warm weather and expansive scenery? ;)