Turntable for my PJ Vinyl

HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
edited February 2009 in The Porch
I am looking to purchase a turntable that is good quality, but no in the $1000 plus range. Are vintage players from the 70's 80's a good way to go? (like a marantz). I know people like the Technics 1200, but it can be pricey. I want something that sounds great; I am not a great audiophile and can't really tell much difference like the pros. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, can most players just hook right up to speakers without an equilizer/amp, etc.?

Thanks
SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    I am looking to purchase a turntable that is good quality, but no in the $1000 plus range. Are vintage players from the 70's 80's a good way to go? (like a marantz). I know people like the Technics 1200, but it can be pricey. I want something that sounds great; I am not a great audiophile and can't really tell much difference like the pros. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, can most players just hook right up to speakers without an equilizer/amp, etc.?

Thanks
    You're gonna need some sort of amp. The amp is the hub for every other piece of a stereo. Most necessary.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,931

Thanks
    Take a look on eBay and craigslist... I got mine for three hundred Canadian bucks, in near mint condition. Amps and pre-amps are where you should look for vintage stuff. Bought a Soundscraftsmen pre-amp/equalizer which is from the late '70s I believe, and I had my dad's old amp, which I totally forget what brand it's from, but it's classy as hell with the volume meters. The point is, you can have a full set-up not including speakers for roughly $600 or less probably, without sacrificing quality.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    My son uses an Audio Technica. It has a USB port just in case you pick up a bunch of oldies and want to run them into digital copies on the iPod.
    the sound is great (my ear doesnt qualify as audiophile either)

And hey, I saw one for sale at Randy's Records in Salt Lake. If he would sell one, its worthy!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06