Options

Rolling Stones 50 Greatest Guitar Albums....

TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
edited February 2009 in The Porch
http://www.guitarworld.com/50_greatest_ ... page=0%2C0

While their lists are generally worthless, its good to see the boys getting credit.
15) Ten, 1991 (Pearl Jam)

Although Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone (whose singer, Andrew Wood, overdosed on heroin), Ten didn’t explode out of the box. That would be the case with Nirvana’s major-label debut, Nevermind. Slowly, however, radio programmers in search of acceptable “grunge” to play alongside Led Zeppelin, U2 and Guns N’ Roses started spinning tracks like “Alive” and “Even Flow.” What they discovered were songs that sounded great anytime, anywhere. Between the urgent, highly distinctive timbre of Eddie Vedder’s voice and the emotionally charged guitar playing of Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, commitment poured from Pearl Jam. Music fans who viewed other grunge acts as too aloof (or just too damned weird) suddenly had new heroes.

WHAT THEY SAID Mike McCready: “Eddie’s lyrics are extremely honest. People can tap into that. They know something real is coming from that. He’s a man full of conviction. That comes in his singing and writing, and hopefully our music backs that up.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Not bad, not bad.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Travelar wrote:
    http://www.guitarworld.com/50_greatest_guitar_albums?page=0,0

While their lists are generally worthless, its good to see the boys getting credit.
    15) Ten, 1991 (Pearl Jam)

Although Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone (whose singer, Andrew Wood, overdosed on heroin), Ten didn’t explode out of the box. That would be the case with Nirvana’s major-label debut, Nevermind. Slowly, however, radio programmers in search of acceptable “grunge” to play alongside Led Zeppelin, U2 and Guns N’ Roses started spinning tracks like “Alive” and “Even Flow.” What they discovered were songs that sounded great anytime, anywhere. Between the urgent, highly distinctive timbre of Eddie Vedder’s voice and the emotionally charged guitar playing of Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, commitment poured from Pearl Jam. Music fans who viewed other grunge acts as too aloof (or just too damned weird) suddenly had new heroes.

WHAT THEY SAID Mike McCready: “Eddie’s lyrics are extremely honest. People can tap into that. They know something real is coming from that. He’s a man full of conviction. That comes in his singing and writing, and hopefully our music backs that up.”

I've seen worse lists. But why did you title the thread "Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitar Albums" when the list is from Guitar World?
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Led Zeppelin IV as #1? Bullshit, Led Zeppelin II is much better. I can't believe Pearl Jam was put before Stevie Ray Vaughan, that boggles my mind, but its a great salute to Mike and Stone.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    There are some pretty damn good albums on that list!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Where can i find that list?
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    cutz wrote:
    Where can i find that list?

On the link in the first post.
  • Options
    It's nice, and rather unexpected, to see them on the list. Pearl Jam always seems to sweep beneath the radar when it comes to these lists, and they don't usually get any credit that they usually deserve. It seems as though people think they died after Ten, and don't even bother to realize or find out that the music that they've been making for almost 2 decades is just as good, if not many times better, than what is on ten.
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    i like the top 6 selection - although most disappointed with the number 1 choice to be honest. I think zeppelin have done better themselves. I think nevermind is over-rated but hey never going to change

Cool to see Pearl Jam get something on there! sweet stuff.