Who needs record labels? These 10 artists don’t... (pearl jam related)

guertin32guertin32 Posts: 205
edited December 2007 in The Porch
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22443898/

Scroll down...

If this is old news... dont shoot me..
http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
New Jersey - 6-1-06
MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm sorry but this is largely bollocks. None of these bands would be anywhere without having once been on giant record labels. Pearl Jam would probably be nowhere near where they are without EPIC.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I'm sorry but this is largely bollocks. None of these bands would be anywhere without having once been on giant record labels. Pearl Jam would probably be nowhere near where they are without EPIC.

Yeh, I agree.
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    yeah, i agree with that. but they fulfilled their first contract, succeeded in the business, and NOW they don't need a label. some bands never get into that position...

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • dangerboy wrote:
    yeah, i agree with that. but they fulfilled their first contract, succeeded in the business, and NOW they don't need a label. some bands never get into that position...

Let's see how long PJ and Radiohead don't need a label for :D It hasn't been long for either of them.. and one could argue that PJ have faded into obscurity since leaving Epic.

'Touring band' status is great, but it doesn't spread the word commercially.. that's what the studio and sales are for, imo.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm sorry but this is largely bollocks. None of these bands would be anywhere without having once been on giant record labels. Pearl Jam would probably be nowhere near where they are without EPIC.
    i dont agree, they probably wouldnt be as popular or as rich....but im sure they would be still making music.
    if pj and radiohead release their next studio albums themselves through their websites, their music/singles will be sought out by radio, etc. because of their standing in music. i'm not saying they could have started out this way, but at this point, they could do it.

and many would say they faded into obscurity after yield. having epic didn't help much after that

• yield6 wrote:
    i dont agree, they may probably wouldnt be as popular or as rich....but im sure they would be still making music.

Yeah but my mum is making music in our garage right now..

Yeah but my mum is making music in our garage right now..

after she sells 20 million copies of her first album, and 5 to 10 million of her next two, and a total of 50+ million worldwide after 7 or 8, get back to us

• dangerboy wrote:
    after she sells 20 million copies of her first album, and 5 to 10 million of her next two, and a total of 50+ million worldwide after 7 or 8, get back to us

Sarcasm radar not working today?

Dude this is not an argument.. you're actually agreeing with me.. My mother will never sell that much because she's not on a label, and consequently never became popular and rich....

The only reason PJ and Radiohead and whoever else can exist as they are is because it was once part of the system to have to be on a label.. They've been there, done that, got rich and popular, and now they can go it alone for a while.. Like I said, let's see how long it lasts.

• I hate work.

I just wanted to add that in...
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
    Sarcasm radar not working today?

Dude this is not an argument.. you're actually agreeing with me.. My mother will never sell that much because she's not on a label, and consequently never became popular and rich....

The only reason PJ and Radiohead and whoever else can exist as they are is because it was once part of the system to have to be on a label.. They've been there, done that, got rich and popular, and now they can go it alone for a while.. Like I said, let's see how long it lasts.

i think i'm only partially agreeing with you. i agree that they never would have achieved the level of success they have without starting off on a label, but at this point in time, they could do without it.

• dangerboy wrote:
    i think i'm only partially agreeing with you. i agree that they never would have achieved the level of success they have without starting off on a label, but at this point in time, they could do without it.

They can do without a label until the end of their career, I would bet..... Oh God, I just realised that there's going to be an end... *runs and slits his wrists*

• dangerboy wrote:
    and many would say they faded into obscurity after yield. having epic didn't help much after that

Agreed. Many would place that as early as after Vitalogy. Every album since No Code has been hailed as a return to form by fans that left the band when they started to evolve and grow. I think they have enough rabid fans worldwide that they could likely release an album just thru their website and maybe a few select retail locations and it would sell just as well as a major label release.
    Agreed. Many would place that as early as after Vitalogy. Every album since No Code has been hailed as a return to form by fans that left the band when they started to evolve and grow. I think they have enough rabid fans worldwide that they could likely release an album just thru their website and maybe a few select retail locations and it would sell just as well as a major label release.

i actually had vitalogy in my original post, with "maybe yield" in parenthesis, but i figured if i used vitalogy i'd get hated on....

• dangerboy wrote:
    i actually had vitalogy in my original post, with "maybe yield" in parenthesis, but i figured if i used vitalogy i'd get hated on....

LOL...I almost posted exactly how I feel about the fairweather fans who label each album "a return to Ten"...but I figure with a small post count I should maybe keep that opinion to myself for the time being
  • Dispatch did just fine succeeding without a record label.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
    who?

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    and one could argue that PJ have faded into obscurity since leaving Epic.
    Oh, I disagree. I don't think there are any parallels to PJ slipping popularity with the masses and them leaving Epic. There popularity decline, or "fade into obscurity" as you put it, happened long before they left Epic.

Epic certainly helped them launch their incredibly successful career, but they now are in a position to maintain their current fan base the way they see fit. Doing one-off contracts with J Records hasn't hurt anything.

I would discourage the notion of only releasing albums digitally, though. I think that is a bad idea. I really like having a fully mastered, professionally made CD with artwork.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    most of these artists could do it i think. who listens to the shit radio shoves down the public's throat anyway?
  • dangerboy wrote:
    who?

.......please go to wikipedia immediatly.

DISPATCH

How can anyone not know them?
  • dangerboy wrote:

True. They can grow out of their label NOW.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • the times they are a changing.
    studios are more and more covering pre packaged sheep music. or jumping on bands that have made a name for themselves through online or indie releases.
    as more and more people get decent broadband services they will download whatever they want.
    studios if they are smart will embrace this

A QUESTION
    If you could buy from a record store whatever boot you wanted already packaged etc ( at record store price)would you??
    or would you still download??

I would continue to download
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    the times they are a changing.
    studios are more and more covering pre packaged sheep music. or jumping on bands that have made a name for themselves through online or indie releases.
    as more and more people get decent broadband services they will download whatever they want.
    studios if they are smart will embrace this

A QUESTION
    If you could buy from a record store whatever boot you wanted already packaged etc ( at record store price)would you??
    or would you still download??

I would continue to download
    download for free you mean, or pay less for download?
    and that's only Live...I still want a hard copy of a PJ album.

Article is a bit out though...since PJ no longer offers digital downloads :( (I just hope it's whilst they're working out an alternate distribution source...p2p-based being the smartest and cheapest move, iTunes being the lazy and crap solutions)
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    Oh, I disagree. I don't think there are any parallels to PJ slipping popularity with the masses and them leaving Epic. There popularity decline, or "fade into obscurity" as you put it, happened long before they left Epic.

Epic certainly helped them launch their incredibly successful career, but they now are in a position to maintain their current fan base the way they see fit. Doing one-off contracts with J Records hasn't hurt anything.

I would discourage the notion of only releasing albums digitally, though. I think that is a bad idea. I really like having a fully mastered, professionally made CD with artwork.

I said 'One COULD argue'... hard to disagree with that. ;)

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Pearl Jam are still a popular band. Sure, they're not selling a million albums in a week anymore but their most recent album debuted at number 2 on the charts in the USA. Shit, I think the first week sales for 'Pearl Jam' were higher than that new Britney Spears album. Bit of a stupid comparison I know but just some food for thought.
  • bonebone Posts: 493
    wilmack88 wrote:

DISPATCH

I don't know them either, but good on them for acheiving success through another non-traditional method.
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    wilmack88 wrote:

DISPATCH

I didn't :o (might have heard the name but no more)
    until a couple of months ago when I read it was the same guy as State Radio (which I discovered at Southside waiting for PJ, and am now really into)

as you said, they were never mainstream (i.e. no radio play)..and I was in a different country (they don't seem to have ever played outside north america :()
  • Pegasus wrote:
    I didn't :o (might have heard the name but no more)
    until a couple of months ago when I read it was the same guy as State Radio (which I discovered at Southside waiting for PJ, and am now really into)

as you said, they were never mainstream (i.e. no radio play)..and I was in a different country (they don't seem to have ever played outside north america :()

yeah they built their fan base by word of mouth in new england. broken up now, but their "last concert" drew over 150,000 people
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    ani difranco missed the list?

we're seeing her again in february.