~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Here is my kittie & my late sparkels just a few months ago sleeping on my bed :( miss her so much
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Something about a fuzzy black and white kit kat!!! So cute!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    My cat Annie is a complete, total asparagus ADDICT! If I'm cooking asparagus, she relentlessly cries for her share. Even if there is just cold asparagus in the refrigerator, she knows it and demands I give her some! Asparagus season in taxing my nerves!! But it's Annie... she get's her way. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    As if cat pee didn't smell bad enough =)

B, careful with how much she eats of it. From the caster.com page:

It is neither toxic nor dangerous for our cats to consume in very small portions, but neither is it truly beneficial to them.

Cats are obligate carnivores. Unlike dogs, who can and do eat everything they can wrap their jaws around, cats tend to be much more finicky eaters. They will certainly express curiosity and interest in a new smell or taste, but food for cats is most beneficial to them when it is high in proteins and fats that come from meat. The primary risk to a cat who eats asparagus regularly is its high alkaline content. Too much asparagus can adversely affect the chemical makeup of their urine, and, over time, lead to urinary tract blockages.
    hedonist said:

As if cat pee didn't smell bad enough =)

B, careful with how much she eats of it. From the caster.com page:

It is neither toxic nor dangerous for our cats to consume in very small portions, but neither is it truly beneficial to them.

Cats are obligate carnivores. Unlike dogs, who can and do eat everything they can wrap their jaws around, cats tend to be much more finicky eaters. They will certainly express curiosity and interest in a new smell or taste, but food for cats is most beneficial to them when it is high in proteins and fats that come from meat. The primary risk to a cat who eats asparagus regularly is its high alkaline content. Too much asparagus can adversely affect the chemical makeup of their urine, and, over time, lead to urinary tract blockages.

Yikes! :fearful:

Thanks for the heads up, Hedo! :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710

i guess this movie can go in this thread :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjEusWO6VPg

this movie was funny

and as much as i like Kevin Spacey, Christopher Walken and cats this looks pretty bad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHA97HzhxE
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    ^^ It looks like a really good kids' movie IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    ^^^ That cat is showing amazing restraint.
    ELITIST FUK
    Too stinking cute!

Curious how that came to be - cat first in the bin and chicks added, or cat crawled into an already chick-filled bin? She looks like she's loving it, either way.

(and possibly deciding on dinner)
    SD48277 said:

^^^ That cat is showing amazing restraint.

yeah i'm sure most cats including mine would have acted a little differently. :lol:

hedonist said:

Too stinking cute!

Curious how that came to be - cat first in the bin and chicks added, or cat crawled into an already chick-filled bin? She looks like she's loving it, either way.

(and possibly deciding on dinner)

good question.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I'm also wondering about the chicks that are under the cat. You can see that she's actually lying on top of a bunch of them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm also wondering about the chicks that are under the cat. You can see that she's actually lying on top of a bunch of them.

maybe she's keeping them warm?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited July 2016

PJ_Soul said:

maybe she's keeping them warm?
    Maybe. Just wondering if she's crushing any because cats are usually a whole lot heavier than chickens.
    Ever notice how cats make great "watch dogs"? Right at this very moment, Annie is running from one end of the house to the other, leaping up into the window sills, guarding us against some evil would-be intruder- probably a squirrel or a bird or-- horrors! -- maybe even a wild turkey! With Annie on watch duty, we always feel safe and secure here!

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I've talked about our 14 year old cat Lexi who has cancer and had her leg amputated last year. Her cancer has returned, but she's still feisty and gets around great. It's almost impossible to get a picture of her though.

But this morning I had my phone - in LA there's a water shortage so when we shower we put a big bucket in there with us and then use it to water plants and stuff.

imagephoto photo-35_zps4vujmefl.jpg" />
    Three legs, four legs...cats are pretty much the same all over.

Pretty girl Lexi - always nice (not to mention amusing) when they retain their pluckiness through age, illness, other changes.
    Enkidu said:

I've talked about our 14 year old cat Lexi who has cancer and had her leg amputated last year. Her cancer has returned, but she's still feisty and gets around great. It's almost impossible to get a picture of her though.

But this morning I had my phone - in LA there's a water shortage so when we shower we put a big bucket in there with us and then use it to water plants and stuff.

imagephoto photo-35_zps4vujmefl.jpg" />

What a sweet and feisty girl! Good thoughts going out for Lexi.

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    That card is so funny - and that's exactly what her eyes look like. Round and yellow. Her sister Nomar has green eyes, not as round.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716

Here is my kittie & my late sparkels just a few months ago sleeping on my bed :( miss her so much

i seriously thought those were MY cat and dog. They look exactly like mine!

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    If i ever have a kitty
    I would have one of these.....
    edited August 2016
    My cat has a terrible bladder problem right now, and it's like a nightmare. :frowning: She's really suffering, won't eat the prescription food at all so is starving (I assume she'll it when she gets hungry enough... that's what people keep saying), I am force feeding her water, I won't even know if the meds will work for a couple of days, I have no more money for the vet, and she is pissing blood all over the house. I took the day off work yesterday to deal with this, but couldn't today, so I am pretty much expecting to come home to bloody piss all over my furniture, floor, in every nook and cranny she can get into. I couldn't lock her in the bathroom or anything while I'm at work because there is a heatwave so she needs to be able to move around and deal with the heat. Plus I've only had 6 hours sleep in two days because she's needed day and night attention. What a shitty fucking week!!!! :anguished::bawling: Poor kitty. :frowning: It's so hard to see her suffer like this and not even be at home with her.
    Oh man, it's awful to see your animal suffer and not be able to do anything but give love and affection. I hope the meds kick in soon and help.

Maybe the vet can work out a payment plan with you? I've heard many are open to that.
    PJ_Soul said:

My cat has a terrible bladder problem right now, and it's like a nightmare. :frowning: She's really suffering, won't eat the prescription food at all so is starving (I assume she'll it when she gets hungry enough... that's what people keep saying), I am force feeding her water, I won't even know if the meds will work for a couple of days, I have no more money for the vet, and she is pissing blood all over the house. I took the day off work yesterday to deal with this, but couldn't today, so I am pretty much expecting to come home to bloody piss all over my furniture, floor, in every nook and cranny she can get into. I couldn't lock her in the bathroom or anything while I'm at work because there is a heatwave so she needs to be able to move around and deal with the heat. Plus I've only had 6 hours sleep in two days because she's needed day and night attention. What a shitty fucking week!!!! :anguished::bawling: Poor kitty. :frowning: It's so hard to see her suffer like this and not even be at home with her.

wow sorry. hope everything turns out well for you and her.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited August 2016
    Thanks guys. So she is getting much better with the antibiotics, but she still isn't eating much. She refuses the prescription food completely, for 4 days now. Even just a tablespoon of the stuff mixed with her regular food isn't working. And now she is barely eating just the regular food, I think because her stomach has shrunk? Or maybe because of the meds, or plain old no appetite from illness (though she is much more interested in the regular food. Man, that prescription food must taste like shit). Anyway, I am hoping the pills will do the job without the help of the food, but I am still worried about this problem.

Besides that, there is a heat wave right now, and it is SO damn hot and particularly hard for a sick cat, so I just tried wetting a tea towel and putting it in the freezer for half an hour and then draped it over the cat for a bit. I expected her to hate that, but she loves it! She seems immediately more comfortable. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks guys. So she is getting much better with the antibiotics, but she still isn't eating much. She refuses the prescription food completely, for 4 days now. Even just a tablespoon of the stuff mixed with her regular food isn't working. And now she is barely eating just the regular food, I think because her stomach has shrunk? Or maybe because of the meds, or plain old no appetite from illness (though she is much more interested in the regular food. Man, that prescription food must taste like shit). Anyway, I am hoping the pills will do the job without the help of the food, but I am still worried about this problem.

Besides that, there is a heat wave right now, and it is SO damn hot and particularly hard for a sick cat, so I just tried wetting a tea towel and putting it in the freezer for half an hour and then draped it over the cat for a bit. I expected her to hate that, but she loves it! She seems immediately more comfortable. :)

good to hear :smile:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    PJ_Soul said:

Good to hear she is do better, PJ_Soul! Hopefully she will continue to get better. Keep us posted!

My sister went through something similar with her car a few weeks ago. It was nerve wracking for all of us but her cat is doing well now.

I've read that cats, for what ever reason, often don't drink a lot of water. We give our Annie fresh water every day but she seems to ignore it. I'm concerned that not enough water can lead to digestive and urinary tract issues and have read that it's a good idea to mix some water in with their wet food. Beside good quality dry food, I give Annie 1/8th of a can of Natural Balance wet food AM and PM mixed with enough water to make it the consistency of a thick soup. So far, no major health issue- thank goodness!

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Good to hear she is do better, PJ_Soul! Hopefully she will continue to get better. Keep us posted!

My sister went through something similar with her car a few weeks ago. It was nerve wracking for all of us but her cat is doing well now.

I've read that cats, for what ever reason, often don't drink a lot of water. We give our Annie fresh water every day but she seems to ignore it. I'm concerned that not enough water can lead to digestive and urinary tract issues and have read that it's a good idea to mix some water in with their wet food. Beside good quality dry food, I give Annie 1/8th of a can of Natural Balance wet food AM and PM mixed with enough water to make it the consistency of a thick soup. So far, no major health issue- thank goodness!
    Yes, feeding dry food to cats is not recommendable because of this. I have always been very conscious of my cats' water intake. I feed wet food only, basically. Plus a few treats and only 1 cup of kibble a week, for minor grazing in case the wet food runs out between feedings. She doesn't care about it so doesn't want any more than that. I also keep two water sources put for her, and both are far away from her food. Cats should drink water much more often than they eat, so keeping water by the food connects the two activities, leading to too little water intake. Water sources should always be separated from where they eat.
    In the wild, cats' diet is about 70% water (namely dead animals). Dry cat food is only 5 - 10% water. O_o Wet food is about 70 - 80% water. Cats shouldn't be eating dry at all, ideally. Wet food is, admittedly, a pain in the ass compared to dry, and a much more expensive way to feed a pet.