Options

Do you use BitTorrent at work?

2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
edited April 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
So, here's the problem. How can I download while at work and get around the firewalls? Anyone ever heard of somebody getting sacked for using BitTorrent on company property? I've been reading that I need to change my port settings. There's got to be a script out there somewhere which automates this ....
12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    No, bit torrent at work is something I have never tried. What I do is just remote desktop into my home computer from work and download them at home. Then I bring them to work on my portable hdd.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    So, here's the problem. How can I download while at work and get around the firewalls? Anyone ever heard of somebody getting sacked for using BitTorrent on company property? I've been reading that I need to change my port settings. There's got to be a script out there somewhere which automates this ....

It all really depends on the level of security your company has. If your company is a fledgling startup they might not be monitoring network usage actively...if your company is an established business with a robust IT department you have no hope. Having said this, you're likely flirting with danger if you think that your company doesn't monitor it's network usage.

Bittorrent activity would surely be noticed if your company's IT department has any clue as to what they are doing.

It's not a smart thing to get into. Think of it this way...would you think about driving a company car while "no one is looking"? Probably not. Not only would you be guilty of misusing company assets, you'd also be guilty of circumventing the company's security system when you by-passed their firewalls. What download could possibly be worth the risk of losing your job?

Anyway, many companies have network usage policies...you should investigate if your company does...then read it. Then decide if you want to lose your job. If you do, then go right ahead and circumvent the security and download until your heart is content...or you're fired, which ever happens first (no doubt the latter).

read up on some of the things that get monitored at work here:
    http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs7-work.htm

one last thing...and don't take this the wrong way, but that you are even asking such general questions on how to do this lends one to believe that you'll get yourself in over your head if you tried...if you really wanted to do it you would research the subject and ask more developed questions to a more appropriate audience than "how do i get around my company's firewall?" on a pearl jam message board. if you do decide to do it...please follow-up and let us know how it went.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Computer Monitoring

If you have a computer terminal at your job, it may be your employer's window into your workspace. There are several types of computer monitoring.

1. Employers can use computer software that enables them to see what is on the screen or stored in the employees' computer terminals and hard disks. Employers can monitor Internet usage such as web-surfing and electronic mail.

People involved in intensive word-processing and data entry jobs may be subject to keystroke monitoring. Such systems tells the manager how many keystrokes per hour each employee is performing. It also may inform employees if they are above or below the standard number of keystrokes expected. Keystroke monitoring has been linked with health problems including stress disabilities and physical problems like carpal tunnel syndrome.

2. Another computer monitoring technique allows employers to keep track of the amount of time an employee spends away from the computer or idle time at the terminal.

Is my employer allowed to see what is on my terminal while I am working?

Generally, yes. Since the employer owns the computer network and the terminals, he or she is free to use them to monitor employees.Employees are given some protection from computer and other forms of electronic monitoring under certain circumstances. Union contracts, for example, may limit the employer's right to monitor. Also, public sector employees may have some minimal rights under the United States Constitution, in particular the Fourth Amendment which safeguards against unreasonable search and seizure.

There may be some additional rights for employees in California given specific statutes of that state. See the paper by Los Angeles attorneys John Caragozian and Donald Warner, Jr., titled "Privacy Rights of Employees Using Workplace Computers in California," published in 2000.

How can I tell if I am being monitored at my terminal?

Most computer monitoring equipment allows employers to monitor without the employees' knowledge. However, some employers do notify employees that monitoring takes place. This information may be communicated in memos, employee handbooks, union contracts, at meetings or on a sticker attached to the computer.

In most cases, employees find out about computer monitoring during a performance evaluation when the information collected is used to evaluate the employee's work.

LOL... looks like I won't be around as much in the future :p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    meme wrote:
    Computer Monitoring
    In most cases, employees find out about computer monitoring during a performance evaluation when the information collected is used to evaluate the employee's work.

LOL... looks like I won't be around as much in the future :p

when's your next performance review? lol. :D

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    yeah cripes i would never download anything from work PC

the last few posts were really interesting as well !!

it's so obvious when they are watching me @ work, when i scroll a page up or down it's get's extra choppy, slow reaction time to clicking etc...
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
    thanks for all the input. you're right, i am getting in over my head. i put this post up as i was initially looking into it all. i work at the largest company there is for the work i do .... that being said, i guess i've started to not care about it because i figure i'd get a slap on the wrist before i'd be walked out. pretty dumb, eh?

i have it stuck in my head that pj is cool with tapers, then my company should be cool with me downloading my first show from 1993, or the latest one from the nwschool benefit, or that first time i saw elvis costello, or how about zappa in 1988, or what about that srv compilation ....... it doesn't end. i had to keep my windows open to get my share ratio up ..... is there a 12 step for tapers? :^) i was up for 4 days over the weekend. i took thursday and friday off just so i could find more shows .....

bottom line:
    1. i need a non-work asset computer
    2. i need to burn off the 10GB i've already downloaded (while off the company network) and remove it all from the harddrive.

thanks again for some common sense.
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway