Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Good luck to everyone trying to quit. I got up to about a pack and a half per day before quitting cold turkey.

A word of advice though, if you're quitting because you think it's what you need to do, don't try because you'll just be smoking again before you even know it. You have to truly want to quit to be successful. Also, chew lots of gum...that helped me when I finally quit smoking. I swear I kept Wrigley's in business by myself for the first 4 months after going cold turkey.

Good luck to everyone and kudos on the decision to quit!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    My problem is drinking on the weekends means smoking like a chimney

I cant stand em anymore...I'm addicted. Its a knee jerk reaction
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Awesome! I must say it will be more difficult for you Brits becuase smoking is way more prevelent these days over there than in NYC. I lived there for a year and I took it up from a pack to two while there.
    Not anymore. We can't can't smoke in any public places. We even have "No Smoking" signs at the entrance to subways. Apparently the number of smokers is dropping rapidly.

Must stop before it kills me.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    nuffingman wrote:
    Doh! Just realised it says Cigarettes in the title. I smoke cigars, does that count? I hate cigarettes.
    Absolutely! Wish I could change title.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Hi, a few of us AET posters are going to try and quit this Tuesday September 2nd. We are long time smokers and we have all tried multiple times. We think by supporting each other and posting daily it would make our experience easier and hopefully successful.

If any one would like to join us we would love the company! The last cigarette we will smoke will be 11:59 on Sept 1.

We are going to use some form of the patch, gum, etc. so that we hope will make it easier.

If you are not a smoker or aren't ready, any positive support you give will be highly appreciated.

The Tryers are

Black Diamond
    Hartamh
    Kcherub
    urbanhippie
    Stone is God
    nuffingman (Cigars)

You alreddie know Black D that this thread has my FULL support. I KNOW you guys CAN DO IT!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    If anyone has a really hard time quitting (me), you should consider getting a script for Chantix.* It really helped me break the nicotine portion of the addiction. I'm still struggling with the habit portion.

Good luck!

*There are some significant side effects with this med so make sure you do some research to see if it's right for you.
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    You alreddie know Black D that this thread has my FULL support. I KNOW you guys CAN DO IT!!!

I know. Your PM's have been very inspirational!

Thank you for being so supportive. I am going to need it!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    If anyone has a really hard time quitting (me), you should consider getting a script for Chantix.* It really helped me break the nicotine portion of the addiction. I'm still struggling with the habit portion.

Good luck!

*There are some significant side effects with this med so make sure you do some research to see if it's right for you.

Never heard of this. Will check it out. Thanks for the tip and the well wishes!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    I had my last cig Dec. 31st 2007. So I have been smoke free for almost 8 months. I'm never going back!

You can do it! It isn't as hard as you think. Just keep thinking of how much better you will feel and how much better not smoking is for you.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Never heard of this. Will check it out. Thanks for the tip and the well wishes!

Chantix does have some very nasty side effects. I looked into it at some point, but figured I am already too mental to chance it. A neighbor quit "dipping" using Chantix with success.

I am kind of looking forward to this...although I am scared out of my mind that everyone around me is going to hate me for the first month or so. ;)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    kcherub wrote:
    Chantix does have some very nasty side effects. I looked into it at some point, but figured I am already too mental to chance it. A neighbor quit "dipping" using Chantix with success.

I am kind of looking forward to this...although I am scared out of my mind that everyone around me is going to hate me for the first month or so. ;)

We won't but I know my wife will.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Good luck to everyone. I quit February 6, 2008, just four days after I got married. My last cigarette was smoked on the North Shore of Oahu. Whenever I feel the draw to smoke, I just remember my last cigarette came in a veritable paradise.

P.S.- I used Chantix with absolutely no side effects. I only used it for two months and never felt the urge to go back after I finished my prescription. If you plan on using Chantix, be warned that it's very expensive. It costs about $130/month.

Good luck.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Who could hate you ;)
    We'll see :)
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone. I quit February 6, 2008, just four days after I got married. My last cigarette was smoked on the North Shore of Oahu. Whenever I feel the draw to smoke, I just remember my last cigarette came in a veritable paradise.
    That is VERY cool and a good way to end it. The North Shore is gods gift to earth for SURE!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    We'll see :)
    hahaha i agree its gonna get ugly up in here! But i DID give you my word that I will support you no matter what. :D I will go easy on the encouragement posts come nexxxt week. Going thru this, the LAST THING you want is someone telling you daily to stick with it and COME ON YOU CAN DO IT!!!! All you wanna do is murder the person talking!!! :D So, for right now.....
    COME ON GUYS WOOHOO YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! hahahaha

• Options
    pearljamjen has a dirty foot?
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    Hope you guys do well!!! I personally would love to join but decided that I will stop on my 25th birthday, since I am getting married next year.
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    quit...or admit to yourself that you have no self control over what you do in your life..
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    pearljamjen has a dirty foot?
    Yes! See the how often you bathe thread!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    hahaha i agree its gonna get ugly up in here! But i DID give you my word that I will support you no matter what. :D I will go easy on the encouragement posts come nexxxt week. Going thru this, the LAST THING you want is someone telling you daily to stick with it and COME ON YOU CAN DO IT!!!! All you wanna do is murder the person talking!!! :D So, for right now.....
    COME ON GUYS WOOHOO YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! hahahaha

You I could never get angry at! Thanks for everything!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    quit...or admit to yourself that you have no self control over what you do in your life..

Brutal, but honest!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Hope you guys do well!!! I personally would love to join but decided to stop on my 25th birthday, since I am getting married next year.

Is that in the past or coming up? Thanks for the wishes! and congrats!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    I wanna join! I wanna Join! {Jumps from Chair and waves hands like brown-nosing pocket protecting calculus student}
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Best of luck to all of you:)
  • Options
    i stopped smoking over a year ago...quit cold turkey....glad i did cause prices for cigs in nyc are almost reaching 10 bucks a pack...
    6.19.08 Camden 1
    6.24.08 MSG 1
    8.05.08 EV NYC 2 (3rd Row)
    5.18.10 Newark
    5.20.10 MSG 1
    5.21.10 MSG 2
    6.21.11 Beacon Theatre,NYC
    6.22.11 Beacon Theatre,NYC
    9.02.12 Made In America Festival, Philly
    10.18.13 Barclays Brooklyn,NY
    10.19.13 Barclays Brooklyn,NY
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    hartamh wrote:
    (((I hope my story will encourage others to quit with me)))

Started smoking when I was 13, went cold turkey @ 23, started again @ 37 and now have been smoking for 11 years. Started with a cough (I won't go into details about that) around 5 - 6 years ago. Started getting worse about 1 yr ago. Got chest x-ray a couple of months ago (negative), then my doctor ordered a Cat Scan and it showed something in my left lower lobe of my lung. A very white bright spot and that part of my lung is collapsed. Then doctor had me go in for a PET Scan. It still showed something, it wasn't cancer (thank God). Had another test done last week a pulmonary function test and now waiting for results. My doctor thinks a may have COPD, which is chronic bronchitis with emphysema. I've been having pain in my mid to upper left side for a while.

I know you maybe wondering "why am I still smoking"? Especially after 14 yrs of not smoking. I really don't know why I started again, plus I live with a chronic smoker. I've seen people die of this disease :( . It's a horrible death.

I've been talking with BD , he knows my story and we just decided to quit and set a date and others here are doing this to, which I am so happy about :) .

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I hope this story will make people really "think" and join me and BD and all the people who will be trying to stop, and thank you all for your stories an encouragement :) .

((Love & hugs to all of you))

Ann Marie
    Thank you for sharing that :)
    I started at 14. I quit at 18, cold turkey, when I found out I was pregnant. I started up at the beginning of this year, after my marriage broke up, and after not smoking for over 15 years.
    Thankfully I've had no health problems due to smoking and, as long as I quit now, hopefully this will continue to be the case.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Thank you for sharing that :)
    I started at 14. I quit at 18, cold turkey, when I found out I was pregnant. I started up at the beginning of this year, after my marriage broke up, and after not smoking for over 15 years..

why start again after 15 years???
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    (((I hope my story will encourage others to quit with me)))

Started smoking when I was 13, went cold turkey @ 23, started again @ 37 and now have been smoking for 11 years. Started with a cough (I won't go into details about that) around 5 - 6 years ago. Started getting worse about 1 yr ago. Got chest x-ray a couple of months ago (negative), then my doctor ordered a Cat Scan and it showed something in my left lower lobe of my lung. A very white bright spot and that part of my lung is collapsed. Then doctor had me go in for a PET Scan. It still showed something, it wasn't cancer (thank God). Had another test done last week a pulmonary function test and now waiting for results. My doctor thinks a may have COPD, which is chronic bronchitis with emphysema. I've been having pain in my mid to upper left side for a while.

I know you maybe wondering "why am I still smoking"? Especially after 14 yrs of not smoking. I really don't know why I started again, plus I live with a chronic smoker. I've seen people die of this disease :( . It's a horrible death.

I've been talking with BD , he knows my story and we just decided to quit and set a date and others here are doing this to, which I am so happy about :) .

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I hope this story will make people really "think" and join me and BD and all the people who will be trying to stop, and thank you all for your stories an encouragement :) .

((Love & hugs to all of you))

Ann Marie

Thanks for the inspiration. A few details about me.

Started smoking when I was 15. My father died of lung cancer (2 pack a day smoker) that year. I have quit for 2 years 2x. I am about to be 42, have two kids and am about to do to them what my dad did to me.

I have to stop and I feel pretty confident this time due to some great PM's (You know who you are!).
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I wanna join! I wanna Join! {Jumps from Chair and waves hands like brown-nosing pocket protecting calculus student}

She BAAACCK!!

On the big tryer list.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    The one for me is the first of the day? As soon as I leave the house! How about you guys?

What is a good strategy to get over that one!
    GoiMTvP.gif