"bus 142" should it stay or go, what do you think?

fyreguy73fyreguy73 Posts: 168
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I was just reading that residents of Fairbanks, Alaska want the bus that Christopher McCandless died in removed. They are concernded that the Sean Penn movie, "Into the Wild" will bring unwanted tourists to this last resting place of McCandless. The residents of Fairbanks are saying that the bus should be moved to a more easily accessable location for people to visit, what do you think?

In my opinion I think they should leave the bus where it is. This bus is the last resting place of someones loved one, I know the residents of Fairbanks are concerned with people travelling to the bus unprepared but think of the family.
He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I wish I was the verb "to trust"
and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think they should take it out. there is no need for an old bus in the middle of the wilderness.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I agree that it should stay. It has been out there how many decades already anyway? It isn't the easiest place to get to, and there have been many, many visitors since the book came out. In addition to being a monument for
    McCandless, it is kept stocked with non-perishable foods, drink, candles and clothes for anyone who might find themselves lost, hurt, cold, and in need of those comforts.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • toronado10 wrote:
    I think they should take it out. there is no need for an old bus in the middle of the wilderness.

True, a metal wreck has no place in such a beautiful location. But, a human died there, it is the place were his last breath was taken. McCandless mite have been unprepared for his trip and this may have had a hand in his death but it is where he died, who is it hurting to leave it there.

and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Hard to say. Part of me thinks it will just cause problems with tourists, visitors, etc. People will go out there and get into trouble. Like anything else, if it's not supervised it will probably get fucked with too.
    On the other hand, it is part of a great story, few people will have the chance to get out there...and it's not hurting anything sitting there.

I dunno...tough one!
  • Is it still used by hunters as a place to stay? If it serves a purpose it should stay.

If there is no use for it other than a shrine, then it should go.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • To add to the story some total fuck-wit has gone out there and taken some parts off the bus and sold them on e-bay, it amazes me what some people will do for money. JACKASS...............

and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    fyreguy73 wrote:
    To add to the story some total fuck-wit has gone out there and taken some parts off the bus and sold them on e-bay, it amazes me what some people will do for money. JACKASS...............

Yeah, that does not surprise me one bit!

People suck!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it was there before mccandless and it's there after him. just cause he died there(and the possible subsequent pilgrimages) isnt reason enough to move it. one day it may well save someone's life. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • fyreguy73 wrote:
    I was just reading that residents of Fairbanks, Alaska want the bus that Christopher McCandless died in removed. They are concernded that the Sean Penn movie, "Into the Wild" will bring unwanted tourists to this last resting place of McCandless. The residents of Fairbanks are saying that the bus should be moved to a more easily accessable location for people to visit, what do you think?

In my opinion I think they should leave the bus where it is. This bus is the last resting place of someones loved one, I know the residents of Fairbanks are concerned with people travelling to the bus unprepared but think of the family.

I don't have a problem moving it to a more accessable location

Someone might die just trying to visit the bus

I'm not into all the sappy stuff about that's where he died so it shouldn't be removed, people die in cars all the time should we leave them on the side of the road ? or in the river that the car plunged into ?

Maybe the family should have the bus and sit it in their backyard ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Maybe they should make the bus off limits and only allow guided tour groups to that area, this would maybe solve the problem of people going there unprepared, they would be with someone who knows the area and have food, communications if they were to get in trouble.

and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
  • fyreguy73 wrote:
    Maybe they should make the bus off limits and only allow guided tour groups to that area, this would maybe solve the problem of people going there unprepared, they would be with someone who knows the area and have food, communications if they were to get in trouble.

Good Idea !!

And we'll charge $5 a ticket for the tour !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The bus needs to stay where it is. People need to respect that he died there and that it is a burial ground now and to just leave it be... no charging money for tours. What's wrong with people being curious and wanting to hike into it? Some may want to pay thier respects to him and leave behind a message or a token of love.
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I can't see THAT many people traveling to Alaska to see a fucking bus!!! Leave it there.

What they should do is hook a fucking system up in that bus and play the Into Wild soundtrack on repeat...

...forever....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................