Options

Roasting a Pig

Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
edited September 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Alright, so since I'm about to roast my very first this weekend. Has anyone ever done this? Have any tips? It's a 30 pound pig, and my cooker/spit it gonna be a simple rig-up that I'm doing. I'm sawing a burn barrel in half and putting some legs under it and then just putting a pole across for said porky. I plan on just using bags of charcoal for the burn. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    30 pounds? Are you sure that isn't a possum? I've only ever been to the giant pig roasts where the sucker is buried in the ground all damn day.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Alright, so since I'm about to roast my very first this weekend. Has anyone ever done this? Have any tips? It's a 30 pound pig, and my cooker/spit it gonna be a simple rig-up that I'm doing. I'm sawing a burn barrel in half and putting some legs under it and then just putting a pole across for said porky. I plan on just using bags of charcoal for the burn. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Go to your local supermarket and get yourself some Mojo, it's usually in the same aisle as the Goya foods. Lay the pig on it's back and marinate the inside with the mojo and let it sit over night. It will be the best tasting lechon you ever had.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    30 pounds? Are you sure that isn't a possum? I've only ever been to the giant pig roasts where the sucker is buried in the ground all damn day.

Nah, I'm only feeding 15-20 people, not a village. Those giant pigs 1)are mad expensive 2)feed A LOT of people & 3)take forever to cook.

Mojo huh? Never heard of it. What's the flavor? I was actually gonna do a bunch of fruits with like a pork stuffing in the stomach. Yep, that's right. Pork stuffed with pork.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Nah, I'm only feeding 15-20 people, not a village. Those giant pigs 1)are mad expensive 2)feed A LOT of people & 3)take forever to cook.

Mojo huh? Never heard of it. What's the flavor? I was actually gonna do a bunch of fruits with like a pork stuffing in the stomach. Yep, that's right. Pork stuffed with pork.

Ah, the ol' pork n' pork. Can't go wrong there...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    I've done a few but I've always done it on ground.
    The key part to roasting it is of course the heat. Personally, I don't like the coals right underneath it and the fat dripping on the coals. I keel the coals on either side so it doesn't get too smoky. smoke tarnishes the taste of the meat. Once you have a nice amount of embers going, put the pig on make sure you have enough coals to last the whole cooking time. I usually use open fire so I always have a fire going on one side of the pit so I can have embers ready for cooking.
    Once the pig is on, you'd have to turn it fairly often in the beginning until the skins starts to go brown and let the fat drip. I would say 10-15 revolutiions a minute would do. Once the skin is nice an brown then you can turn it once a minute or so. Of course the revolutions would start slowing down once the skin starts cooking.
    this is how I personally do it, a full pig (about 80-100 lbs) usually takes me 6-8 hours to cook this way.
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    Blue11 wrote:
    I've done a few but I've always done it on ground.
    The key part to roasting it is of course the heat. Personally, I don't like the coals right underneath it and the fat dripping on the coals. I keel the coals on either side so it doesn't get too smoky. smoke tarnishes the taste of the meat. Once you have a nice amount of embers going, put the pig on make sure you have enough coals to last the whole cooking time. I usually use open fire so I always have a fire going on one side of the pit so I can have embers ready for cooking.
    Once the pig is on, you'd have to turn it fairly often in the beginning until the skins starts to go brown and let the fat drip. I would say 10-15 revolutiions a minute would do. Once the skin is nice an brown then you can turn it once a minute or so. Of course the revolutions would start slowing down once the skin starts cooking.
    this is how I personally do it, a full pig (about 80-100 lbs) usually takes me 6-8 hours to cook this way.

Yeah, I was gonna put coals toward the shoulders and the butt of the pig.(The longer cooking areas.) Also, because I was gonna put a drip pan under it to baste it in it's own juices. So, wait a minute, your turning the pig every minute for 8 hours??? That's a lot of turning. I figured I'd do a lower heat and turn it every 10-15 minutes.

Does this sound right for spitting the pig - I was gonna put the pole through it's backside though it's mouth, then fasten it to the pole by securing wires around the pole and it's spine. Do you use coals or wood or what? And if coal, how many bags should I get for about 7-8 hours of cooking?

I was gonna do it on the ground, but I figured this would be less labor and more controlled.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    eyedclaar wrote:
    If the internal organs have been removed, 30 pounds is respectable.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    If the internal organs have been removed, 30 pounds is respectable.

Yeah, I'm buying it cleaned from my butcher buddy down at the Italian market. 30 pounds is more than enough for about 15 people.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was gonna put coals toward the shoulders and the butt of the pig.(The longer cooking areas.) Also, because I was gonna put a drip pan under it to baste it in it's own juices. So, wait a minute, your turning the pig every minute for 8 hours??? That's a lot of turning. I figured I'd do a lower heat and turn it every 10-15 minutes.

Does this sound right for spitting the pig - I was gonna put the pole through it's backside though it's mouth, then fasten it to the pole by securing wires around the pole and it's spine. Do you use coals or wood or what? And if coal, how many bags should I get for about 7-8 hours of cooking?

I was gonna do it on the ground, but I figured this would be less labor and more controlled.

Yeah, that sounds about right for spitting the pig.
    Turning it more ofter, in my case 10-15 times a minute or so, makes for even cooking. I usually slow down after the first hour and then leaving it on for a minute or so afterwards. I do have high heat when I do this that's why I turn it often.
    Leaving it in one spot for 10-15 minutes then turning it could burn parts of it and not cook evenly. Are you doing the turns manually or with an electric motor?
    I usually employ 3-4 of my cousins when I do this and take turns turning and tending to the fire.

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    Blue11 wrote:
    Yeah, that sounds about right for spitting the pig.
    Turning it more ofter, in my case 10-15 times a minute or so, makes for even cooking. I usually slow down after the first hour and then leaving it on for a minute or so afterwards. I do have high heat when I do this that's why I turn it often.
    Leaving it in one spot for 10-15 minutes then turning it could burn parts of it and not cook evenly. Are you doing the turns manually or with an electric motor?
    I usually employ 3-4 of my cousins when I do this and take turns turning and tending to the fire.

It looks like I'm gonna be starting it at about 7/8 am so it's done by like 4-ish. It's definitely not electric. I'm making this spit myself. It'll probably be me mostly manning the thing with some sparse help from my dad and uncle. I was told if you rub some olive oil on the skin and cover some of the tender-er parts of the pig with aluminum foil it should be alright to not turn it as often. And yeah I think the first hour I'll really turn it and keep the heat high and then bring the temp down and just have it slow cook for a while and turn it every 10 minutes or so. I gotta do this all while drafting my fantasy team so this will be quite the challenge.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    try to find an electric or battery powered spit you can rent
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    try to find an electric or battery powered spit you can rent

I'd like to, but I don't think it's happening. I'll try, but I doubt it. I'll just keep the fire low and the pig high. I'll think it'll be fine.
  • Options
    Mojo criollo is a marinade made from orange and lemon juice with garlic and other spices. Trust me on this roast pork, or lechon as us Cubans call it, is a Cuban specialty. My family and I make it a few times a year.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Mojo criollo is a marinade made from orange and lemon juice with garlic and other spices. Trust me on this roast pork, or lechon as us Cubans call it, is a Cuban specialty. My family and I make it a few times a year.

mojo is awesome with pork
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:

Yeah this sounds about right for what I was gonna do. I was gonna cook a pork loin, ground it up and season it with oranges, lemons, salt & pepper, olive oil, garlic cloves, orange juice, some odds and ends as seasonings go and maybe a little white wine..Who knows...but this may be a little easier.
  • Options
    Yeah this sounds about right for what I was gonna do. I was gonna cook a pork loin, ground it up and season it with oranges, lemons, salt & pepper, olive oil, garlic cloves, orange juice, some odds and ends as seasonings go and maybe a little white wine..Who knows...but this may be a little easier.

It is basically the same thing just all bottled up and ready for you. I make sure I always have a bottle of mojo in the house. It goes good on chicken, pork and if I decide to make some thin steaks in a sofrito sauce I had a splash of mojo.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    It is basically the same thing just all bottled up and ready for you. I make sure I always have a bottle of mojo in the house. It goes good on chicken, pork and if I decide to make some thin steaks in a sofrito sauce I had a splash of mojo.

stop it you are making me very hungry for spanish/cuban/latin food!!!!!
    :)
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    stop it you are making me very hungry for spanish/cuban/latin food!!!!!
    :)

I may have to grab a Media Noche for lunch with some yucca fries.
  • Options
    mmmm...lechon....man, makes me want to cook one up now.

hope it works out wll for you. Let us know how it went.

• Options
    Blue11 wrote:
    mmmm...lechon....man, makes me want to cook one up now.

hope it works out wll for you. Let us know how it went.

Yeah, definitely. Hopefully everything works out well. I know this is my first roast, but I think as long as I take it slow it should turn out good.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    This thread is useless without pictures.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Yeah, welp...that went a whole lot better than I thought. For my first pig roast I think I did pretty damn good. The pork was just awesome - very juicy. And the skin tasted great as well. That mojo marinade came in great. Thanks for the tip. I used a quick mix of olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, little butter and salt & pepper to baste with while cooking as well. Also used the juices from the drip pan to baste. And I used a water spray bottle to keep the outside moist just in case. This was awesome and am going to do this a lot more often. You should see the spit we made. We took one of my dad's old burn barrels and cut it in half, and made the legs and the rest of the frame out of an old king size bed frame. We used a piece of rebar for the spit. I'll put up pictures as soon as I can. Next year a bull!
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Yeah, welp...that went a whole lot better than I thought. For my first pig roast I think I did pretty damn good. The pork was just awesome - very juicy. And the skin tasted great as well. That mojo marinade came in great. Thanks for the tip. I used a quick mix of olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, little butter and salt & pepper to baste with while cooking as well. Also used the juices from the drip pan to baste. And I used a water spray bottle to keep the outside moist just in case. This was awesome and am going to do this a lot more often. You should see the spit we made. We took one of my dad's old burn barrels and cut it in half, and made the legs and the rest of the frame out of an old king size bed frame. We used a piece of rebar for the spit. I'll put up pictures as soon as I can. Next year a bull!

that sounds like it was awesome. now i'm hungry!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    ReleaseMeReleaseMe Mississauga, Ontario Posts: 745
    I need one right now dammit!
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    eyedclaar was one funny motherfucker.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    How did it go OP?

The key w/ a pig roast is to just add charcoal and keep the temp. Don't keep peeking at the progress.  Once the neighbourhood smells like what you're cooking remove from spit, let rest for 2hrs and serve.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I feel like chadwick should weigh in on this, though I'm not sure of his experience with pig-roasting.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

when i was a kid i worked on farm & was ran into by a 120-150 lbs pig. sucker hit my knee, nearly killed me. i say to that hog, "come get some now you bastard" you know fancy metal knees & all

dankind

you are one bad bad man

hedonist,

yep i've zero time manning a hog fire. been to a few gatherings where they were roasting whole hog. tasty. my young dumb ass was squirreling around drink in hand (in some cases two drinks) @ volleyball.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce