registering for your birthday??

normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
i just found out that for her 50th birthday my sister has registered......at williams-sonoma....i the one hand i like it because at least i know what she wants....but it seems presumptuous of her to basically require gifts and from williams-sonoma no less.....has anyone heard of this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cutback wrote:
    i just found out that for her 50th birthday my sister has registered......at williams-sonoma....i the one hand i like it because at least i know what she wants....but it seems presumptuous of her to basically require gifts and from williams-sonoma no less.....has anyone heard of this?

What is Williams-Sonoma ?

Never heard of it
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    What is Williams-Sonoma ?

Never heard of it
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    ive never heard of registering for a bday.. i guess if you can register for everything else, why not..... its not like ppl have to buy you a gift either way.
  • cutback wrote:
    never heard of it....

the store .............or people registering for their birthday.......

kinda weird to me....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    cutback wrote:

$22 for a caramel apple? Damn!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    $22 for a caramel apple? Damn!!!
    marshmellows are $18.50?????

marshmellows??????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........................
  • well, I've actually "registered" for my birthday, but it's not presumptuous- I wasn't expecting anyone to give me anything. it was more like wishlists...if my family asked me what I wanted to told them I had wishlists up.

You can "register" for anything though...birthdays, christmas, graduations...I like that, actually. the gifts aren't just for the married people anymore. I think if someone registers for household gifts for a wedding it is just as legit to register for household giifts for graduations and housewarmings and whatnot.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    thats so f'in absurd
    well, I've actually "registered" for my birthday, but it's not presumptuous- I wasn't expecting anyone to give me anything. it was more like wishlists...if my family asked me what I wanted to told them I had wishlists up.

You can "register" for anything though...birthdays, christmas, graduations...I like that, actually. the gifts aren't just for the married people anymore. I think if someone registers for household gifts for a wedding it is just as legit to register for household giifts for graduations and housewarmings and whatnot.

i can see that....i guess it just kinda shocked me....i'd never heard of it.....and i don't have to get anything on her list....it justs seems weird that's all.....:)
  • get her the french caviar......

for $449.00

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......................

if my sister registered at this place.....i would turn around and get her a mcdonalds gift certificate.....hehehehehe

and cutback....

dont take that personal...you know damned well you are my friend here.....
    get her the french caviar......

for $449.00

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......................

if my sister registered at this place.....i would turn around and get her a mcdonalds gift certificate.....hehehehehe

and cutback....

dont take that personal...you know damned well you are my friend here.....

no offense speed....this is the black sheep, if you will, of the family....she's always done things in her own way.....hehehehe.....mickey-d's gift certificate....:D:D
  • i'd register at target for laundry detergent or something, but that's just me. i'm the technicolor sheep in my family :p

but yeah, it's a wee odd. when my bday comes around i just tell people what i want, cut out the registry middle man!
  • holy crap Williams Sonoma !!!!!

woah...that is money.

I dont like registering for anything...it makes me feel like I am trolling for gifts...i would rather people bought/gave me stuff they think i would like...it's more personal. of course, I also don't really require "normal" gifts either...

but JEEEEEESH, Williams Sonoma! dayum!

(in their defense, the marshmallows are really good. :D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    i would rather people bought/gave me stuff they think i would like...it's more personal. of course, I also don't really require "normal" gifts either...

I think you would like this. And it certainly is not "normal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgP3Go3MPs
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    nope, never heard of that.

a bit presumptuous, huh? I mean, how did you know she did that? An e-mail alert?? :)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • That's crazy. The wife and I registered for our wedding but I was just scanning anything in sight as a joke.

Who really wants a can of Armor All for their wedding gift?

cb, get her whatever you want.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• cutback wrote:

i think what needs to be known...is your sister throwing a big party in celebration? if so, entirely appropriate. i used to work at crate&barrel, and of course we had a gift registry, and yes, we encouraged people to register for all *big* occasions. turning 50 is certainly a big occasion with good casuse to celebrate.

while i have never registered at any time, not even my wedding - we wanted cash :D - i believe registries are very handy for all involved. usually when people register they are encouraged ti hit all different pricepoints so all guests have things to choose from within their budget. i shop at williams-sonoma every holiday season b/c my bro-in-law is a big fan. most 'gourmet' types love williams-sonoma. so if your sister loves such things, why not ask for what you would like? one isn't forced to spend more than they desire...don't even 'have' to shop there....but it's nice all the way round imo...not presumptious at all. unless of course she's not even having a party. hahaha.

for my mom's birthdays a couple times, we've thrown her a big party. one time we asked each guest to write a memory of her and bring it to the party to assemble in an album. another time, we requested donations be made in her honor, and probably will do so again for her 80th birthday party in march. still sorta 'asking' guests how/what to spend their $$$ on if they choose to give a gift.

and usually, such 'registries' are announced in the party invites.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I have 440 items on my Amazon wish list! :eek:

Here's how it happened: A few years ago Amazon had a contest in which somebody would win everything on their Wish List, so I started added things. Then I saw the whole "Recommendations" bit and decided to make a game of it. I wanted to see how well their program could predict what I would want and by doing so I kept finding shit to add to the list.

I used to use the list when family would ask me what I wanted, but they found the list to be overwhelming. Ya think?!

Now, I have the list set to private and I use it whenever I'm looking for my next book purchase/read or songs to add to my itunes.

I honestly appreciate when somebody creates a list to help me shop for them - as long as it includes something within my price range.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I guess old people can do that! LOL :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
    Lizard wrote:
    nope, never heard of that.

a bit presumptuous, huh? I mean, how did you know she did that? An e-mail alert?? : )

apparently she "announced" this at thanksgiving but i must of missed it...:)....my other sister emailed myself, my brother and other sister to go in one gift....:)
    i think what needs to be known...is your sister throwing a big party in celebration? if so, entirely appropriate. i used to work at crate&barrel, and of course we had a gift registry, and yes, we encouraged people to register for all *big* occasions. turning 50 is certainly a big occasion with good cause to celebrate.

i don't think there is a "big" party but a party for the family which is pretty big to begin with.....;)

while i have never registered at any time, not even my wedding - we wanted cash :D - i believe registries are very handy for all involved. usually when people register they are encouraged ti hit all different pricepoints so all guests have things to choose from within their budget. i shop at williams-sonoma every holiday season b/c my bro-in-law is a big fan. most 'gourmet' types love williams-sonoma. so if your sister loves such things, why not ask for what you would like? one isn't forced to spend more than they desire...don't even 'have' to shop there....but it's nice all the way round imo...not presumptious at all. unless of course she's not even having a party. hahaha.

for my mom's birthdays a couple times, we've thrown her a big party. one time we asked each guest to write a memory of her and bring it to the party to assemble in an album. another time, we requested donations be made in her honor, and probably will do so again for her 80th birthday party in march. still sorta 'asking' guests how/what to spend their $$$ on if they choose to give a gift.

and usually, such 'registries' are announced in the party invites.

yea no invites yet.....really it's not a big deal....i just never heard of registering for a birthday.....:)
  • I have to go to a doctor's appointment, should I register for that???

registering for a birthday is really ridiculous - even if it is a "big" birthday! I get events where gifts are expected like weddings, anniversaries, and bridal/baby showers but a birthday???

meh, registering is a bit too "buy me this! I dont trust your taste or judgment" for me...

cutback you should get her something really random - not on the list...and claim that the item was on her list! ("I thought it was odd that you wanted the silver olive pitter, but what the heck, you only turn 50 once!")
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756

(in their defense, the marshmallows are really good. :D

So is their 8 dollar box of stuffing. :o

Oh just buy her a gift off the registry cuttie. At least she won't be moaning the next day that she didn't get anything she liked.
    Damned if you set up a registry, damned if you don't.
    Can't please everyone, right? :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    thats so f'in absurd

I'm with you... I think that's fucking tacky beyond belief.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I think it is helpful. I for one, hate trying to figure out what people want. And nothing is worse than buying a gift for someone, being excited about it, and seeing the look of disappointment on their face when they open it.

I once made a handmade vase for my sister in law to match her dining room. A few months later went there to find it in the basement. That sucked.

I like the "wishlists" - it gives people the opportunity to purchase a gift w/ease and confidence.

I put one together one Christmas for my son - his bday is 5 days later and EVERYONE always asks "WHAT CAN I GET HIM???" - so much easier to give them a link ;)
  • cutback wrote:

Recently, I heard of little kids near here making registries for their birthday parties... :rolleyes:

I'm not really into the idea of registering, because I feel it is presumptuous. I only did so before my wedding and before our baby was born because SO many people pressured me to...and then, everyone just gave us cash anyway...lol.
    Recently, I heard of little kids near here making registries for their birthday parties... :rolleyes:

I'm not really into the idea of registering, because I feel it is presumptuous. I only did so before my wedding and before our baby was born because SO many people pressured me to...and then, everyone just gave us cash anyway...lol.
    I haven't done it, but damn that is a good idea. Wait until your house starts piling up with crap from china. lol :p
    I am fortunate to have friends that understand my feeling towards pointless toys like tickle me elmo. lol Holden got alot of books, puzzles, cars and pirates.
    :)
    We were all happy.

Oh, I didn't register. :o Am I nuts??? :p
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    I haven't done it, but damn that is a good idea. Wait until your house starts piling up with crap from china. lol :p
    I am fortunate to have friends that understand my feeling towards pointless toys like tickle me elmo. lol Holden got alot of books, puzzles, cars and pirates.

Haha, I know. I'm lucky in that most people in our families just ask me what she needs. That way we can cut down on the amount of noisy ugly plastic garbage piling up in our house. ;):D

see the wedding thing i guess i'm used to.....there's kinda a point there.....a couple is starting their life together and need certain things.....my sister is want for nothing so i'm not sure why she's doing this.....i really could care less....i just found it odd.....although it is perfect for me since i'm shitty at gift giving and i don't have a gf/wife to help me out with these things....:o :D
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    yeah cb never heard of that ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    cutback wrote:
    see the wedding thing i guess i'm used to.....there's kinda a point there.....a couple is starting their life together and need certain things.....my sister is want for nothing so i'm not sure why she's doing this.....i really could care less....i just found it odd.....although it is perfect for me since i'm shitty at gift giving and i don't have a gf/wife to help me out with these things....:o :D
    See???? lol
    Maybe she is going through the change....:o
    What did she register for?
    I Love williams-sonoma.
    I put a small registry on there for the girls I worked with as the store was down the block.