Options

is GTF about jesus christ?

Comments

• Options
    "they keep telling me that jesus walked on water... well he shouldve surfed"
    -ben harper

ive considered it may be about jesus before eventho i, like ed, am not a real religious person... anyone who has taken a HS english class knows many great storytellers like to work the christ-like figure in there... the bibles a powerful story... and eds a powerful story teller... i wouldnt completely negate the theory
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I don't care what Ed wrote it about,to me it's about Jesus and that's why it'll always be so powerful. Pearl Jam's best songs are the vague ones. I find it funny how easily offended some people are at the thought of Ed writing a song about Jesus.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    back in the day everyone smoked. Jesus was a smoker. He was with a Pilot so he could be seen flying a whole bunch.
    the Minions
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    given to fly is about a super surfer! "arms wide open, with the sea as his floor"....

he did walk on water and on some crucifix his arms are wide open

"Jesus flew? He's a strange spot in the sky?"

When he died and ascended into heaven.
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    Only Eddie Vedder knows what this song is about, and only Eddie Vedder can tell us what Eddie Vedder believes in an does not believe in.

i know, and he has said it many times, and that's why i don't think the song is about Jesus.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    i know, and he has said it many times, and that's why i don't think the song is about Jesus.

Well if he has, I can't say that I have heard it.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    brainofPJ wrote:
    what's it about?

In the 2000 san francisco boot, ed says something about a man on a beach who smoked something about " yay " long and fell asleep on the beach and woke up with wings, its called GTF
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    I do not think Given To Fly is about a surfer. I believe Ed uses surfing images as metaphors to evoke concepts related to those images/messages. It's easy to say a song is simple and linear but I don't see this song that way.

Given To Fly is about finding your place. It is about perseverance, about your spirit soaring and you, a human being, using that energy to benefit others, no matter how much you get shit on or slapped up.

Jesus may be in here, but as a metaphor. This is what people are picking up on. Much like people pick up on the surfer, one can pick up on the self sacrifice of the protagonist as being much like Jesus.

One question it could raise is: What would Jesus do after taking a toke, surfing and facing challenges in this age? What should Eddie do? What should YOU do?

This is one of my favorite songs in their catalog. The message is powerful and matches the music. I love this song.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Hope not.
    Ben, the two of us need look no more

Nothing changes...torture then reward
    torture then reward...torture then reward,
    follows torture...follows reward....

• Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    I don't care what Ed wrote it about,to me it's about Jesus and that's why it'll always be so powerful. Pearl Jam's best songs are the vague ones. I find it funny how easily offended some people are at the thought of Ed writing a song about Jesus.

Dude, you can think the song is about Jesus all you want, but it's not.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    There are two things to relate:

1. I think this song could be about almost anything you want it to be about. Clearly there is imagery in the song that could be taken literally to denote a simple surfing song. Alternatively, there is room for interpretation to make it into something more spiritual - Jesus centered or not. I think it is important for all of us (and the reason we particularly like this band) to be able to find something in each song that we can relate to personally. If it is Jesus, Nature, general Spirituality, or anything else...

2. To me this song is about overcoming hurdles and coming out on top no matter how many times you fall or someone else says you won't do it. The relief at the end of the song is defiance but also abundant generosity. GTF will always be one of my favorites - a simply sensational song.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Ed will probably read this thread and smile. He'd probably be happiest if you all just took your own interpretation of the song and went on your way. He's said stuff like that before.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Ed will probably read this thread and smile. He'd probably be happiest if you all just took your own interpretation of the song and went on your way. He's said stuff like that before.

I totally agree... maybe he wouldn't even smile.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Well, I'll still maintain that to me it's about surfing...

1. Mike says that he loves the way song builds and explodes like a big wave
    2. On the soundbooth at the Gorge, Ed pretended he was surfing
    3. Could also refer to the time he crowd surfed in Europe and got punched about by the security twits who didn't know who he was
    4. Having sat on a surfboard myself, recently, waiting for a nice wave to catch and then realizing too late that I couldn't handle it...and then finally getting a wave I could handle...yeah, I was given to fly..
    5. In Iconoclasts, when they first go surfing, GTF is playing....
    6. It's Oceans part deux

End opinion...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Only Eddie Vedder knows what this song is about, and only Eddie Vedder can tell us what Eddie Vedder believes in an does not believe in.

Eddie Vedder has stated he does not believe in religion or jesus. So he has spoken about this. Make the song whatever you want or feel. But from Ed's point of view this would not be about jesus.
  • Options
    I totally agree... maybe he wouldn't even smile.
    maybe* he wouldnt even waste his time reading the message board :p

this is the same kind of shit that pissed ed off in the past... remember the story of him posting something about the meaning of black in a thread like this and some a-hole told him he was all wrong, not knowing he was talking to the writer of the song... ha...

*by maybe i mean definitely

• Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    Surf Life wrote:
    Eddie Vedder has stated he does not believe in religion or jesus. So he has spoken about this. Make the song whatever you want or feel. But from Ed's point of view this would not be about jesus.

but he has sang about hell and the devil, sin and also heaven. i haven't read anything on his thoughts of heaven or hell but somewhere in there music it is touched on. i always thought it odd that he touches on these topics? just a thought
    one love

respect
  • Options
    I have always thought that it was- but I have also always believed that Jesus was a teacher and not a "God".

I know that Eddie was born Jewish , but so many songs IMO, what is important is the meaning you get from them.

We don't have to interpret it in the same way as the artist , as long as we don't completely distort it for our own uses.
    ( like when the GOP wanted to use Born in the USA :rolleyes: )
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    willtupper wrote:
    Dear The Porch,

If any of you would like to make a million dollars, here is a free idea:

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You could put it on t-shirts, surfboards, coffee mugs, pretty much anything. Maybe with a nice drawing of his bearded funkiness riding some big waves or something (or if you want to be really gross, put a crucified Jesus on a surfboard... maybe not in agony, but just all blissed out and happy, riding the big waves).

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You're welcome.

Love,

The little voice in my head that makes me post stuff like this.

JESUS BUILT MY HOT ROD
    Its a love affair...Mainly jesus and my hot rod
    So there was only one thing that I could do...ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBKTo5K14M
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    but he has sang about hell and the devil, sin and also heaven. i haven't read anything on his thoughts of heaven or hell but somewhere in there music it is touched on. i always thought it odd that he touches on these topics? just a thought
    as a painter and not a very religious person, i still work alot with religious imagery because that is what my idols (caravaggio, raphael, etc) worked with and because that kind of imagery is heavily loaded with symbolism and easily comprehended motifs of mortality, love, sin, etc... all this would appeal equally to a musician... like i said before, dont dismiss the possibility just because what you think you know about ed

• Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    sgossard3 wrote:
    as a painter and not a very religious person, i still work alot with religious imagery because that is what my idols (caravaggio, raphael, etc) worked with and because that kind of imagery is heavily loaded with symbolism and easily comprehended motifs of mortality, love, sin, etc... all this would appeal equally to a musician... like i said before, dont dismiss the possibility just because what you think you know about ed

as an artist myself i understand this, and i don't dismiss anything, just my thoughts. if i could ever ask ed a question it would most likely be about religion and his music. caravaggio was one of my favs when i was in college. they have some nice ones at the milwaukee art museum.
    one love

respect
  • Options
    MikklMikkl Posts: 20
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Hmm.......not sure. Can't remember reading about Jesus having a "smoke in a tree" :)

Would've been great tho :)
  • Options
    hiding wrote:

I must add. Heaven and Hell represent a vision in peoples minds, if I say 'I live in Hell" you would understand exactly what I mean. It doesn't mean it's actual purgatory, but a representation of what it means to be in purgatory. It doesn't mean that I actually believe in the afterlife and if I sin I'm headed there, it just means I understand a concept of "hell" and it doesn't have to aply to your concept of "hell".
  • Options
    Surf Life wrote:
    I must add. Heaven and Hell represent a vision in peoples minds, if I say 'I live in Hell" you would understand exactly what I mean. It doesn't mean it's actual purgatory, but a representation of what it means to be in purgatory. It doesn't mean that I actually believe in the afterlife and if I sin I'm headed there, it just means I understand a concept of "hell" and it doesn't have to aply to your concept of "hell".

Purgatory not actually being hell, of course.
  • Options

It's all the way you look at it.

Gehenna (or gehenom or gehinom (גהינום)) is the Jewish hell or purgatory. In Judaism hell is a place of purification[1] and fire for the wicked, most being punished there up to a year but some for eternity.[2]

In English, Jews commonly use the term "hell" in place of "gehenna." The name derived from the burning garbage dump near Jerusalem (the Hinnom gulch), metaphorically identified with the entrance to the underworld of punishment in the afterlife.

Gehenna also appears in the New Testament and in early Christian writing to represent the place where evil will be destroyed. It lends its name to Islam's hell, Jahannam.

In both Rabbinical Jewish and Christian writing, Gehenna as a destination of the wicked is different from Sheol, the abode of all the dead
  • Options
    whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    GTF, like a large percentage of eddie's lyrics is about love, finding ones ways and sticking to ones beliefs.
    all qualities that make Jesus who he is supposed to be, but i dont think Eddie sat down and was like "i'm gonna write a song about Jesus..."
    peace
  • Options
    Surf Life wrote:
    It's all the way you look at it.

Gehenna (or gehenom or gehinom (גהינום)) is the Jewish hell or purgatory. In Judaism hell is a place of purification[1] and fire for the wicked, most being punished there up to a year but some for eternity.[2]

In English, Jews commonly use the term "hell" in place of "gehenna." The name derived from the burning garbage dump near Jerusalem (the Hinnom gulch), metaphorically identified with the entrance to the underworld of punishment in the afterlife.

Gehenna also appears in the New Testament and in early Christian writing to represent the place where evil will be destroyed. It lends its name to Islam's hell, Jahannam.

In both Rabbinical Jewish and Christian writing, Gehenna as a destination of the wicked is different from Sheol, the abode of all the dead

Thanks for the lesson! I certainly don't aspire to spend any time in purgatory so in I get your point about perspective. I guess I was using a more Catholic idea of a place to go between Heaven/Hell where your soul rides it out for awhile hoping that the living send enough prayers to tip the scales in its favor... maybe to simplistic but that's my frame of reference - I appreciate your depth of conversation though.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Surf Life wrote:

Right. It applies to a concept which is commonly understood. It is a cultural metaphor and is not intended (in your example) to be understood as an actual place.

The same thing with Given To Fly and thankfully, the poet's use of metaphor is flexible and interesting enough to pull most people in. I think we can all relate to it on different levels. I've never set foot on a surf board in my life, but I understand the message conveyed because he uses surfing as a metaphor for something else.

At least that's my working assumption!

For all I know he was ironing a shirt and arms stretched out was all about the way the shirt draped...

Joking of course. LOL.

Eh, forgive the humor. I just got very good news off board on something so it's all good. Funny how fast a person can go from feeling good, to horrified, to joy in a few minutes. Is that what we live for?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    last i heard the vatican decided to do away with the purgatory idea... so we can just forget all that

• Options
    Thanks for the lesson! I certainly don't aspire to spend any time in purgatory so in I get your point about perspective. I guess I was using a more Catholic idea of a place to go between Heaven/Hell where your soul rides it out for awhile hoping that the living send enough prayers to tip the scales in its favor... maybe to simplistic but that's my frame of reference - I appreciate your depth of conversation though.

Please take no offense in my response. I don't believe in any of it anyway. I am athiest.
    It's just that people often take one meaning and run with it, not understanding there are many meanings, if you look at it from another angle.

peace.