Waiters: How much do you tip out?

_Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I tip out 30%, the last place I worked was 40%. I'm curious what other waitpersons tip out elsewhere. Thanks :)
I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I tip out 30%, the last place I worked was 40%. I'm curious what other waitpersons tip out elsewhere. Thanks :)

The last time I worked as a waiter it was a pulled house. Before that it was 10% to the bar and 20% to the busboy/girl.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • I usually tip atleast 20%, 30% sounds a tad much.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    20 percent usually....It all depends on the service, if it's great service i give more or the holidays
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Tipping isn't such a big deal over here in the UK. People usually leave 10%, but it's very rare that I eat out. It makes me uncomfortable to be waited on after so many years of waiting on people.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    The last time I worked as a waiter it was a pulled house. Before that it was 10% to the bar and 20% to the busboy/girl.

Yep, we don't have a bartender at this new place, so I'm only tipping 30%. 15% goes to the busser, and the other 15% is divided among the 4 cooks and 2 dishwashers. It is still a big chunk of change. On Tuesday night I tipped out $64 :eek:
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    I've also heard that wait-service is noticably worse in Europe, particulary Paris, where the wait staff apparently feel like it is your privilege to even talk to them.

Of course, that's a second hand story, so take it with a grain of salt. In Canada, I rarely run into poor waitstaff...maybe once every 20 or 30 times.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Yep, we don't have a bartender at this new place, so I'm only tipping 30%. 15% goes to the busser, and the other 15% is divided among the 4 cooks and 2 dishwashers. It is still a big chunk of change. On Tuesday night I tipped out $64 :eek:

Aren't the cooks and dishwashers paid a salary?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • audiodave wrote:
    Tipping isn't such a big deal over here in the UK. People usually leave 10%, but it's very rare that I eat out. It makes me uncomfortable to be waited on after so many years of waiting on people.

Do you know how much UK waiters make per hour (pre-tip)?
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    NM...I misunderstood the post.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I waited tables back in school at Denny's and it was hard but fun work working the graveyard shift. Mostly a lot of drunks after parties/clubs, military peeps, concert goers etc.

With that in mind now, I usually tip 20-25% depending on how attentive and high standard the waitstaff can be. Many times my girlfriend will step in say that's too much or she'll handle the tips and I take the bill.

One can understand the waitstaff's plight when one has worked in those conditions....it takes tremendous patience waiting on some who have way too much to drink.

I could never do that kind of work now. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Why should you have to tip anyone when you are doing the serving? This whole idea of tipping is stupid. Tipping should be banned. Pay people a decent wage and expect great service from them. Then tipping will be uncessary. It is a farce manufactured by the business owners to get people to pay more for their product so that they have less overhead. It's rediculous...even the drive through window at starbucks has a tip jar!
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Why should you have to tip anyone when you are doing the serving? This whole idea of tipping is stupid. Tipping should be banned. Pay people a decent wage and expect great service from them. Then tipping will be uncessary. It is a farce manufactured by the business owners to get people to pay more for their product so that they have less overhead. It's rediculous...even the drive through window at starbucks has a tip jar!

you should be banned from going to resturants cause if you're not going to include a tip then stay at home. yet i bet you still demand excellent service when you're being served in a resturant, despite the fact that you think tipping is stupid and YOU (being the perfect being that you think you are) would NEVER do anything stupid. are you going to pay 20% more for your meals when dining out so that servers will be paid a decent wage?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • prism wrote:
    you should be banned from going to resturants cause if you're not going to include a tip then stay at home. yet i bet you still demand excellent service when you're being served in a resturant, despite the fact that you think tipping is stupid and YOU (being the perfect being that you think you are) would NEVER do anything stupid. are you going to pay 20% more for your meals when dining out so that servers will be paid a decent wage?
    Isn't that what you are doing when you give a 20% tip anyways? Tipping is a horrible practice. A tip should be a gift not expected. America has it so messed up.
    Isn't that what you are doing when you give a 20% tip anyways? Tipping is a horrible practice. A tip should be a gift not expected. America has it so messed up.

so what difference does it make if you give a 20% tip or if there's a 20% gratuity added to the bill or if you pay 20% for all of your meals and it gets passed down to the server as part of their wage?

no matter how you do it, the thing is you demand excellent service but are too cheap to pay for it.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • prism wrote:
    so what difference does it make if you give a 20% tip or if there's a 20% gratuity added to the bill or if you pay 20% for all of your meals and it gets passed down to the server as part of their wage?

no matter how you do it, the thing is you demand excellent service but are too cheap to pay for it.
    You are missing the point. The businessmen (restaurant owners) have you by the balls. They are telling you to pay their employees AND pay for your dinner too. Doesn't that piss you off even the slightest bit?
    You are missing the point. The businessmen (restaurant owners) have you by the balls. They are telling you to pay their employees AND pay for your dinner too. Doesn't that piss you off even the slightest bit?

having waited on tables, working as a cashier, a hostess and a bartender in resturants, nope it doesn't piss me off at all
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

Isn't this what makes a business successful?

Why would anyone open a restaurant to break even? It's not like it's a non-profit organization? :confused:

Simple solution, Don't eat out.
    NERDS!
  • Isn't this what makes a business successful?

Why would anyone open a restaurant to break even? It's not like it's a non-profit organization? :confused:

Simple solution, Don't eat out.
    No simple solution is to pay your own employees a fair wage and charge your customers a fair fee. Just as you expect from any other business.
    No simple solution is to pay your own employees a fair wage and charge your customers a fair fee. Just as you expect from any other business.

That sounds simple in theory. But when you take into account the other things that the restaurant owner has to pay for it's really is ridiculous. I watched a good friend of mine open a restaurant and it is challenging. If servers we're paid a higher hourly wage or a salary then the only restaurants we'd be eating at are Subway and Burger King.

Not all businesses are fair. They may seem fair to someone on the outside looking in. Nearly every different business and workplace is it's own unique entity. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges.
    NERDS!

just a thought; if a server is going to make the same wage wether they give you fast, friendly, excellent service or slow, unfriendly, crappy service where does the server get the incentive to give anyone the former instead of the latter?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • prism wrote:
    just a thought; if a server is going to make the same wage wether they give you fast, friendly, excellent service or slow, unfriendly, crappy service where does the server get the incentive to give anyone the former instead of the latter?
    See thats the problem. In dining, you are expected to give a 15-20% tip. In many restaurants now they even put the gratuity on the bill before you pay. So you have little choice in the matter anyways. You could get utterly shit service and still be charged a gratuity of 20%. Doesn't seem fair to me.
  • I got tipped out 25 dollars tonight. I'm a bar back.

Just thought id share.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • BinGnarly wrote:
    I got tipped out 25 dollars tonight. I'm a bar back.

Just thought id share.
    what is a bar back?
    how many hours did you work?
    You could get utterly shit service and still be charged a gratuity of 20%. Doesn't seem fair to me.

This is true and I agree with that. I believe this was mostly done because customers were not tipping properly in the 1st place.
    NERDS!
    See thats the problem. In dining, you are expected to give a 15-20% tip. In many restaurants now they even put the gratuity on the bill before you pay. So you have little choice in the matter anyways. You could get utterly shit service and still be charged a gratuity of 20%. Doesn't seem fair to me.

sure you have a choice. if the service is bad then don't tip as much. if the resturant puts the gratuity on the bill, don't eat there.

seriously, if tipping is such a hardship for you then stay at home for all of your meals.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • prism wrote:
    sure you have a choice. if the service is bad then don't tip as much. if the resturant puts the gratuity on the bill, don't eat there.

seriously, if tipping is such a hardship for you then stay at home for all of your meals.
    Prism you make the worst attempts at insults.

Nowhere did I say tipping was a hardship. Rather, I said tipping was a rediculous practice.
  • This is true and I agree with that. I believe this was mostly done because customers were not tipping properly in the 1st place.
    Or from the other perspective, the restaurant was not paying its employees properly in the first place.

Do you know in Europe tipping is not expected and rarely done. Yet service there is usually exceptional. They stive to please the customer. How can this be? Because the employees are well paid by the business owners and propriety is held in high esteem.
    Or from the other perspective, the restaurant was not paying its employees properly in the first place.

Do you know in Europe tipping is not expected and rarely done. Yet service there is usually exceptional. They stive to please the customer. How can this be? Because the employees are well paid by the business owners and propriety is held in high esteem.

Tipping is also becoming acceptable in Europe these days. So do you think that these business owners aren't going to notice that and take certain monies and benefits from the employee?
    NERDS!
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Do you know how much UK waiters make per hour (pre-tip)?
    Usually between £4 and £7, or there abouts. (About $8 - $14)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    audiodave wrote:

There seems to be a self-aggrandising tendency among US restaurant goers, I notice: to be openly boastful about how altruistic one is in tipping is often really a sly way of intimidating other people, by bragging about the size of one's expendible income. It's a barse ackwards version of the "My wife and I couldn't noticing that we are considerably richer than you" restaurant sketch from a few years back.