Options

Oh god Pearl Jam is a great album!

2»

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I love Avocado album, definitely one of my favorite beside Ten off course.

I can't believe that people like more Riot Act and Binaural, they are so lame.
    i like more binaural for sure, and i am the farthest thing from lame on earth, bub!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i loved this album when it came out... but the honeymoon was over short after. don't get me wrong, there are some great tracks on there, but it's a far far far cry from their best.
  • Options
    It is their best. The last 3 albums have been my favorites. Avocado is indeed my favorite. Incredible album.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    i loved this album when it came out... but the honeymoon was over short after. don't get me wrong, there are some great tracks on there, but it's a far far far cry from their best.

I would have to agree, the novelty of it being 'heavier' than RA and Binaural soon wore off... :(

IMO it's no way near as good as Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural or RA, it's just not interesting enough...there's just something missing and I cant put my finger on it...I hardly listen to it, like Ten (hate the production, love the songs)....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    I would have to agree, the novelty of it being 'heavier' than RA and Binaural soon wore off... :(

IMO it's no way near as good as Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural or RA, it's just not interesting enough...there's just something missing and I cant put my finger on it...I hardly listen to it, like Ten (hate the production, love the songs)....

i would def. place it above riot act... but you are dead on. couldn't agree with you any more about ten.
  • Options
    hmm I love "Pearl Jam." cant really understand how someone would like RA more than PJ. RA never really defines itself for me. The message gets lost somewhere along the line...my ranking would have to be something like:

Yield
    PJ
    Binaural
    No Code
    VS
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    RA

Oh, and Army & Navy- Life Wasted has to be one of my favorite PJ songs ever. It's amazing how music does different things for different people.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Anybody who doesn't like this record must be lacking a pulse. In my opinion it's their best album since Yield and one of the best collections of songs they've ever put to tape. It's much more focused and cohesive than Riot Act or Binaural and it's full of tasty melodies and catchy hooks that jam their little barbs into your brain and refuse to let go. I loved it when it came out, and I still love it today. My ranking of their studio albums looks like this:

Yield
    Pearl Jam
    Vs.
    Vitalogy
    Ten (this album would be higher if it weren't for the lousy production)
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Anybody who doesn't like this record must be lacking a pulse. In my opinion it's their best album since Yield and one of the best collections of songs they've ever put to tape. It's much more focused and cohesive than Riot Act or Binaural and it's full of tasty melodies and catchy hooks that jam their little barbs into your brain and refuse to let go. I loved it when it came out, and I still love it today. My ranking of their studio albums looks like this:

Yield
    Pearl Jam
    Vs.
    Vitalogy
    Ten (this album would be higher if it weren't for the lousy production)
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Binaural

and anyone listing no code in their bottom three doesn't lack a pulse...? i've hated binaural for so long, but in the past year, it finally hit me. definitely not their worst work by any means. that title belongs to riot act.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i say, here here *smatter of applause*

i think it's an amazing album, raw, emotive, well produced. their best since yield. not to say i don't like binaural & riot act, both great pieces of work in their own right, just think avocado holds more of punch when it intends it.

i think the world is their oyster for the next one too, ed's solo work is really gonna bring something new & fresh to the table. really excited to hear where it's going to take them.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    "Pearl Jam" is a tricky album. It ranks as my #1 favorite PJ album, but I can see why others wouldn't see it the same way. It's a very cerebral album; it's not as catchy or blatantly addictive as some of PJ's other work, but it has so much fucking depth to it that it ages incredibly well. It's also the band's most socially/politically conscious album, thus it carries with it a certain urgency that many people overlook.

Anyway, since everyone else is doing it, here's my current rankings:

Pearl Jam
    Yield
    Vs.
    No Code
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    ....live on the edge, that's me....anywho....

1. vs
    2. no code

top 2 alternate, but always remain top 2.

3. vitalogy
    4. yield
    5. pearl jam
    6. binaural
    7. ten
    8. riot act

it feels harsh having ten & riot act on the bottom, especially for all the shit riot act gets that it doesn't deserve, but i guess something has to be there :(

would also probably slot lost dogs in there between binaural & ten
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    I'm not sure Pearl Jam has aged that well...Its way better than Riot Act, and probably better than Binarual, but still not up there with the first 5.

I love certain songs though - WWS, Severed Hand, Unemployable

Others are pretty good - Army Reserve, Marker, Come Back, Inside Job

but there's some not so good stuff - Comastose, Life Wasted, Gone & Big Wave

I completely disagree. the album rocks and is flawless IMO. inside job and come back are "pretty good"?????

you crazy!
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    I think it has some of the most generic and lame music they've ever made.
  • Options
    Hmmm....

Riot Act aint that popular, not sure why I prefer it to their latest one, maybe it's the lyrics, or its darkness or something...

I like these four - No Code, Yield, Binaural and RA

better than these four - Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and Pearl Jam.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    PJMosquito wrote:
    also...i like thinking of "pearl jam" as sort of tracing PJ's career...let me explain:

Ten-VS-Vitalogy = Hard Rocking (LW, WWS, Comatose, SH)

No Code-Yield = More mixed between mellow and rocking (MITS, Parachutes, Big Wave, Gone)

Binaural-Riot Act = More experimental (LW Reprise, AR)

Last Kiss = Retro sounding (Come Back has that vibe)

Inside Job= New Sound for the band...the future?

Im a loser for typing this all out. But does Pearl Jam = "Pearl Jam?"

Just a thought.
    That's interesting and it fits pretty well, good thinking!

I think Avocado is everything an album should be. A nice, cohesive, flowing collection of songs, some fast, some slow, some in between. The material is solid throughout and it is a fantastic addition to the PJ catalogue as a whole. All of them are great songs in a live setting too which is important. Avocado rocks!
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
  • Options
    SHIT! triple post. :eek:

(goddamn server....)
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    none of my friends really liked pearl jam until this album. everytime we have a party inside job and comeback played at least five times each and a lot of other mates are catching on now because of this amazing album.
  • Options
    potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    jesse wrote:
    none of my friends really liked pearl jam until this album. everytime we have a party inside job and comeback played at least five times each and a lot of other mates are catching on now because of this amazing album.
    thats the thing about this band...theres an album for everyone and every mood.
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    love this album, but i don't think it's there best. I think the last half of the album isn't quite as good as the first, some of the songs feel out of place. The first half is so rocking i feel unsatisfied with the last half of the album b/c i'm expecting it to pick back up again. Unemployable kills the vibe of this record for me.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV