Oh god Pearl Jam is a great album!

webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Seriously, its their best. Just listening to it for the first time in a couple of months and its amazing how much it fills you with ENTHUSIASM.

so great
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No, it's actually kind of weak. But I really love "Comatose" and a few others.
  • I do LIKE it, but I don't see the obsession some people have with it. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good album.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    No, it's actually kind of weak. But I really love "Comatose" and a few others.
    No, it's actually kind of strong. :p
  • Undoubtedly my favorite PJ album, which pretty much makes it may fave album, period.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    Undoubtedly my favorite PJ album, which pretty much makes it may fave album, period.
    Word. It really is a true showcase and undeniable proof that Pearl Jam is stronger than ever.
  • "Pearl Jam" is so great. Not my favorite PJ album, but a close contender. I love the energy and determination that the band has on this album. Every song is a must listen...its definitely worthy of the name Pearl Jam. And that post talking about "Gone" being the worst PJ song is obviously delusional.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Great album.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    It's better than Riot act and maybe Binaural, but i wouldn't say it's the best. Honestly i can't tell which one is the greatest for me... but surely not "Ten"
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • also...i like thinking of "pearl jam" as sort of tracing PJ's career...let me explain:

Ten-VS-Vitalogy = Hard Rocking (LW, WWS, Comatose, SH)

No Code-Yield = More mixed between mellow and rocking (MITS, Parachutes, Big Wave, Gone)

Binaural-Riot Act = More experimental (LW Reprise, AR)

Last Kiss = Retro sounding (Come Back has that vibe)

Inside Job= New Sound for the band...the future?

Im a loser for typing this all out. But does Pearl Jam = "Pearl Jam?"

Just a thought.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • halszka123 wrote:
    It's better than Riot act and maybe Binaural, but i wouldn't say it's the best. Honestly i can't tell which one is the greatest for me... but surely not "Ten"
    It's a great album for sure, one my favorite albums of this decade, but it isn't as good as Ten for sure. Ten is in my top 10 favorite of all time
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Ten
    Yield
    Riot Act
    No Code
    Vs.
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    "Pearl Jam"
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,488
    Its a good album - Its no Ten or Yield!!!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • PJMosquito wrote:
    god i hope not.... its a very overrated song... and i agree that "gone" is probably in my bottom 10 out of the PJ catelogue
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    it's a great half an album.
    after parachutes it falls apart.
    there's no theme to this album.
    no togetherness.
    it's like they busted their humps and came up with 6 great tracks then were too tired to finish the album. 7,8,9,10,12,13=b-sides
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
    PJMosquito wrote:
    also...i like thinking of "pearl jam" as sort of tracing PJ's career...let me explain:

Ten-VS-Vitalogy = Hard Rocking (LW, WWS, Comatose, SH)

No Code-Yield = More mixed between mellow and rocking (MITS, Parachutes, Big Wave, Gone)

Binaural-Riot Act = More experimental (LW Reprise, AR)

Last Kiss = Retro sounding (Come Back has that vibe)

Im a loser for typing this all out. But does Pearl Jam = "Pearl Jam?"

Just a thought.
    I think you're right, Pearl Jam the album really speaks for itself
    sgossard3 wrote:
    god i hope not.... its a very overrated song... and i agree that "gone" is probably in my bottom 10 out of the PJ catelogue
    Couldnt disagree with you more on Inside Job. It is an unbelievably epic song and the perfect closer to the album. It truly is my #1 PJ song.
  • I think its their worst, I like all the songs.. But i think i have too many 06 boots and overplayed many of them.

But my order o' albums for first to last is very different from most

Riot Act
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Vs
    Yield
    Ten
    Pearl Jam

I hate putting yield so low..
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Gmoney wrote:
    it's a great half an album.
    after parachutes it falls apart.
    there's no theme to this album.
    no togetherness.
    it's like they busted their humps and came up with 6 great tracks then were too tired to finish the album. 7,8,9,10,12,13=b-sides

Wow, to me it seems like the album doesn't even start to come together til parachutes... after that it really gets going. Vs, No Code, and Yield are still better IMO.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Good album. The first half of the album and Army Reserve are the only songs I really dig.
  • potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    Self titled is a damn good album. Its probably my 3rd fav behind yield and nocode. I like the mikes heavy guitar on the album.. That was what had been lacking on Riot Act and Binaural.
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • FitzFitz Posts: 169
    I love it, playing it now and some songs are still growing on me.
    "First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
  • I love Avocado album, definitely one of my favorite beside Ten off course.

I can't believe that people like more Riot Act and Binaural, they are so lame.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    it's definitely a strong album, but i prefer the route the took in Binaural.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Alto CD Es!
    " El concierto de anoche fue uno de los más memorables de nuestra vida, la gente de Argentina ha sido fantásica con nosotros, no nos queremos Ir "
    Eddie 11/26/05 Bs. As Argentina
  • ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    No, it's actually kind of weak. But I really love "Comatose" and a few others.

It´s a great, great album...´has the soul of PJ and Ed is in great form..I love all the songs,the energy, the sound.. Severed Hands is one of the best. WWS idem...Come back is one political moment, great song, no doubts. wathever, the time just helps them...as a whisky, no?
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Its a good album - Its no Ten or Yield!!!

Throw in Vs and i wholeheartedly agree.
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    webberf1 wrote:
    Seriously, its their best. Just listening to it for the first time in a couple of months and its amazing how much it fills you with ENTHUSIASM.

so great

It's a great album. I love it.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Agreed; it's the best
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • I got so bored of the album so quick. Thank god for bootlegs. I never listen to PJ's studio shit anyways.
  • I'm not sure Pearl Jam has aged that well...Its way better than Riot Act, and probably better than Binarual, but still not up there with the first 5.

I love certain songs though - WWS, Severed Hand, Unemployable

Others are pretty good - Army Reserve, Marker, Come Back, Inside Job

but there's some not so good stuff - Comastose, Life Wasted, Gone & Big Wave