The Official VILLANOVA BASKETBALL Thread

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Lets Go Nova!!!!!

This team is damn good. #16 and rising. Easy win tonight vs Penn. I am looking forward to a week from tonight against Texas. That should be a nice test before the Big East schedule begins in January.
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    I heard something that Obama may be at this game tonight - anyone know?
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    I like this thread....I'm a Nova grad, class of '99.

We haven't played anyone significant yet but the defense and passing has been great.

Cunningham has REALLY stepped up, excited about that.

I'll be at MSG next week for the game vs Texas.

LET'S GO NOVA!!!!!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    see you 1/21.
    I love to turn you on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    chimpat wrote:
    I like this thread....I'm a Nova grad, class of '99.

We haven't played anyone significant yet but the defense and passing has been great.

Cunningham has REALLY stepped up, excited about that.

I'll be at MSG next week for the game vs Texas.

LET'S GO NOVA!!!!!!!

nice! actually rhode island is a decent win. they only lost to duke by 3 at cameron a few weeks ago.

just wait till scottie reynolds start to play to his potential...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    F Villanofun.

Go SJU!
    saveuplife wrote:
    F Villanofun.

Go SJU!

how bout that felipe lopez...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    how bout that felipe lopez...

Not Saint Johns.
    saveuplife wrote:
    Not Saint Johns.

you said SJU....since we're in the big east here, i was assuming that meant st johns univ......is st joes fielding a team this year? lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    you said SJU....since we're in the big east here, i was assuming that meant st johns univ......is st joes fielding a team this year? lol

We'll see. We'll see. SJU will take em in the City 6.
    saveuplife wrote:
    We'll see. We'll see. SJU will take em in the City 6.

you think? i believe they play next week at the dupont
    chinese-happy.jpg
    you think? i believe they play next week at the dupont

I thought the city 6 is down at the palestra?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189

you would think you'd remember the 77-55 beatdown from last year that the Hawks gave to you. If the Hawks win this year though you can blame it on it being 2 days after the Texas game.

on a serious point I think Nova might have some problems in the Big East this year because they have no size. And the only size they have is Cunningham and Pena. With Drummond leaving no size and depth in the front court could be a killer. Love the wings on this team (even if Reynolds does palm the ball every time he dribbles) but I think they might get warn down. Be interested to see how Jay handles the rotation in the Big East. Oh and against the Hawks please let Reggie Redding shoot on every possession - does he ever make a 3?
    saveuplife wrote:
    I thought the city 6 is down at the palestra?

it's at the ski lodge next thursday night on ESPN2
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    I was waiting for PJHawks to chime in, we've had some discussions in the past. He makes some valid points, our frontline could be a real issue, especially if Dwayne Anderson gimpy. Even if he is healthy, we're still small up front.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

pjhawks wrote:
    you would think you'd remember the 77-55 beatdown from last year that the Hawks gave to you. If the Hawks win this year though you can blame it on it being 2 days after the Texas game.

on a serious point I think Nova might have some problems in the Big East this year because they have no size. And the only size they have is Cunningham and Pena. With Drummond leaving no size and depth in the front court could be a killer. Love the wings on this team (even if Reynolds does palm the ball every time he dribbles) but I think they might get warn down. Be interested to see how Jay handles the rotation in the Big East. Oh and against the Hawks please let Reggie Redding shoot on every possession - does he ever make a 3?

of course i remember that game. well played. hey we had to lose at some point right? and yes, the big east is going to be mighty tough with no real big man. but when in the last few years have they had a really healthy big man in their rotation? its been a while. they managed to get to the elite 8 playing with a 4 guard set a couple years ago. at least we got a couple forwards in the mix this time!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Don't care one way or the other about Villanova, but when Reynolds is on top of his game, he is very exciting to watch.
    of course i remember that game. well played. hey we had to lose at some point right? and yes, the big east is going to be mighty tough with no real big man. but when in the last few years have they had a really healthy big man in their rotation? its been a while. they managed to get to the elite 8 playing with a 4 guard set a couple years ago. at least we got a couple forwards in the mix this time!

the difference is on that team you had lots of upperclassmen - one of the issues with this team is relying on Fisher, Stokes and Pena as sophomores. I think they are going to be pretty good and probably make the tourny but it will be interesting to see if they wear down at some point.

oh and I fully expect Nova to kick our ass this year but if they shoot poorly maybe the Hawks have a shot. Just not sure the Hawks can score enough.
    pjhawks wrote:
    the difference is on that team you had lots of upperclassmen - one of the issues with this team is relying on Fisher, Stokes and Pena as sophomores. I think they are going to be pretty good and probably make the tourny but it will be interesting to see if they wear down at some point.

oh and I fully expect Nova to kick our ass this year but if they shoot poorly maybe the Hawks have a shot. Just not sure the Hawks can score enough.

good points. however, cunningham's a senior and reynold is a junior. also redding and anderson are solid senior role players as well (redding may not be able to shoot but he is excellent on D). and i think getting to the sweet 16 last year is great experience for the soph's this year.

i like all the big 5 teams though. i didnt go to any of them (went to bloomsburg) but grew up 5 minutes from nova's campus and used to sneak into the dupont to shoot hoops as a kid.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    good points. however, cunningham's a senior and reynold is a junior. also redding and anderson are solid senior role players as well (redding may not be able to shoot but he is excellent on D). and i think getting to the sweet 16 last year is great experience for the soph's this year.

i like all the big 5 teams though. i didnt go to any of them (went to bloomsburg) but grew up 5 minutes from nova's campus and used to sneak into the dupont to shoot hoops as a kid.

did you ever hang out and play hoops in the ardmore area? I used to play at Coopertown school a lot from like 84-90 years. had some great runs there.
    pjhawks wrote:
    did you ever hang out and play hoops in the ardmore area? I used to play at Coopertown school a lot from like 84-90 years. had some great runs there.

no not really. im more from the other side of nova. grew up in wayne
    chinese-happy.jpg
    no not really. im more from the other side of nova. grew up in wayne

I did a lot of drinking in Wayne in my day - Wayne tavern and the Main Lion back in the early 90s. Great area.
    GO CATS
    chinese-happy.jpg