Options

No Grateful Dead comparisons!

Comments

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    cutback wrote:
    ....we will travel all over the world to see them play live....and like the dead, pj members respect us and treat us well...
    in full on agreeance with you pal!!! :) i dont think its a dis at all. At least i dont take it that way!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I consider myself to be a deadhead before a PJ fan.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    Its funny how some people think pearl jam fans has more intelligence than other rock fans..
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Niko80 wrote:
    Its funny how some people think pearl jam fans has more intelligence than other rock fans..

I've no ideea why the original poster put that. It's extremelly arrogant and completely untrue. No band has fans that are more intelligent than others.

And as for the Grateful Dead comparison? I've never really listened to the band but they're very highly regarded and critically acclaimed. Surely that refelcts well on Peart Jam...
  • Options
    <
    deadhead
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Why is this even an issue? Who gives a shit? Although I’m curious as to how the original poster thinks we can succeed in “disassociating ourselves from that comparison.”

I’m a person who happens to be a Pearl Jam fan, not a Pearl Jam fan who happens to be a person.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    As a Pearl Jam fan ,I'm honored if we're compared to a Dead Heads. I only hope that I'm as loyal to my favorite band as they are to theirs. I attended several Grateful Dead shows , where I had the pleasure of meeting alot of really terrific GD fans. Their passion for travelling , enjoying the music , and enjoying the camaraderie of other Fans wasn't lost on me. It was actually a huge influence. It was enough of an influence that when I got enough do-ra-mi , I took to the road. It took a few years , and a couple SIP loans, but I did 21 shows in 2005 , 28 in 2006 , and 5 in 2007. Thanks Dead Heads. I may be temporarily down a few bucks, but I'm paying my SIP back , have met some amazing fellow PJ fans, and have memories enough for a lifetime.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I saw the Dead think nine times. I was a little out of it during that time in my life, but I was not a hippie or a druggie.
    They are similar IMO b/c of how the fans are so tight and b/c of he touring.
    Both bands are not into the publicity part of being in a band, and they do not need to be b/c of the die hard fans.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    sgossard3 wrote:
    how can you deny the comparisons??... PJ have fans that follow them around globally, we collect artsy collectable posters like crazy, we love it when they have sweet extended solos ("jams" in GD's case), ive seen infinite threads talking about how much pot elevates the impact of PJ's music, PJ do alot of covers of other bands, ed and jerry both have beards, PJ has a keyboardist now, giving matt extended drum solo on evenflow, the fans have gatherings even when theres not a concert within months, both use a skull logo pretty extensively, PJ is nothing without stone just like GD is nothing without bob, if youve been to a PJ show with camping facilities id be able to find infinite more similarities :D (etc, etc, etc)

im a big GD fan... i see no problem with the comparisons... an avid fan is an avid fan... doesnt matter who youre supporting... as long as no green bay packer comparisons get started...

i bought a grill cheese at a PJ show once.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.
    First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...

you have...........i'm not even going to start~just check out 7-11-95 chicago.
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
  • Options
    NC_Irie wrote:

hahaha lol

Me to but at a dead show
    Mine had little green pieces of something in it. hehe
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Can you imagine Pearl Jam doing a version of Scarlet Begonias? I think I would pass out in disbelief! It would be cool though!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    "I don't know why, it's the same reason why you like some music and you don't like others. There's something about it that you like. Ultimately I don't find it's in my best interests to try and analyze it, since it's fundamentally emotional."
    Jerry Garcia
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
  • Options
    "I don't know why, it's the same reason why you like some music and you don't like others. There's something about it that you like. Ultimately I don't find it's in my best interests to try and analyze it, since it's fundamentally emotional."
    Jerry Garcia

That is great.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628

I’m a person who happens to be a Pearl Jam fan, not a Pearl Jam fan who happens to be a person.

Nicely put.

It seems to me some people around here are Pearl Jam fans more so than music lovers. I try to appreciate any band/artist who has made a contribution to the world of music, and I don't think there's any way of denying that The Grateful Dead are a significant part of music history. I find them intriguing, even if I haven't heard all that much of their work. I hope to change that eventually.
  • Options
    Wow... everyone is all the sudden so righteous and against unfair stereotyping of other bands and their fans all the sudden on this forum. Thats new. I am looking forward to similar scathing posts when terms like "frat fucks", "cock rock", "jocks" and such come out. Because thats ok. But if you stereotype dead heads as some dirty chick with furry armpits and an old curtain for a shirt everyone gets real upset. Stereotyping is messed up when people use different stereotypes then you isn't it?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    how cluless is this ass i couldn't dissagree more ....saw the dead at least 30times and i've seen PJ the same amount of shows .....both fans are just as passionate about the bands mentioned here i for one am glad i got to experience the dead shows wouldn't trade those trips for any other shows except the PJ SHOWS ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    how cluless is this ass i couldn't dissagree more ....saw the dead at least 30times and i've seen PJ the same amount of shows .....both fans are just as passionate about the bands mentioned here i for one am glad i got to experience the dead shows wouldn't trade those trips for any other shows except the PJ SHOWS ....

Lets give the thread starter a break now. Maybe they never saw a Dead show with Jerry. We all know how lucky we are to have seen him. :)

I know if Jerry was still alive I would be following the dead. So I'm dam proud to pick up the torch and continue with PJ. :D
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Lets give the thread starter a break now. Maybe they never saw a Dead show with Jerry. We all know how lucky we are to have seen him. :)

I know if Jerry was still alive I would be following the dead. So I'm dam proud to pick up the torch and continue with PJ. :D

yeah i guess we can but man people come off as fools when talking about something they have no clue on and i agree with your view totally >>>:)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    NC_Irie wrote:

I'll be selling veggie burritos in the lot to help finance my next tour. ;)

• Options
    yeah i guess we can but man people come off as fools when talking about something they have no clue on and i agree with your view totally >>>:)

I love these thread comparing the Dead and PJ. It makes perfect sense to me and a few others on here. :D
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    I'll be selling veggie burritos in the lot to help finance my next tour. ;)

I bought a cook book yrs ago that has all these parking lot food and drink items that were at dead shows. Funny and crazy stuff amd sometimes scary looking stuff. hehehe :D

I miss the dead parking lot scenes. :D
  • Options
    Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Saw the last two GD shows in Chicago '95 at sametime PJ was playing in Chi town found that out later. It took me three more years before the first PJ show '98. It's all fate to me.... still enjoying the ride... ride ride enjoying the ride. I still have seen more GD shows only because they used to tour more every season..still working on getting the numbers up for PJ 9 1/2. Half because I saw Eddie in TO at the Body of War premier.
    Peace,
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    But if the DEAD was around during the true age of the internet, al la PJ. IMO they/we would see a thriving discussion board with very stimulating topics al la PJ.

Yes a am a veteran of over 60+ shows with Jerry and a bunch without..

"mama mama many worlds i have come since i first left home"
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Wow... everyone is all the sudden so righteous and against unfair stereotyping of other bands and their fans all the sudden on this forum. Thats new. I am looking forward to similar scathing posts when terms like "frat fucks", "cock rock", "jocks" and such come out. Because thats ok. But if you stereotype dead heads as some dirty chick with furry armpits and an old curtain for a shirt everyone gets real upset. Stereotyping is messed up when people use different stereotypes then you isn't it?

That's actually a pretty good point. I've lost count of the amount of times that some Pearl Jam fans have sterotyped Nickelback or Creed listners unfairly.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    That's actually a pretty good point. I've lost count of the amount of times that some Pearl Jam fans have sterotyped Nickelback or Creed listners unfairly.

Well... I'm staying away from Creed because of all the bad blood because of coments they have made about PJ and the feeling of a lot of fans that they are a PJ rip off. So that kind of complicates the point. But there are comments about bands and their fans all the time that don't get bashed. Such as "I won't go see DMB because I hate their fans". etc. its the same shit. We don't see 3 or 4 pages of everyone ganging up on them though because most see their point. Most here are on the "same side" of the fence. That doesn't mean they don't say just as offfensive things. Just trying to point that out is all.
  • Options
    You sound kinda upiddy.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    JamonitJamonit Posts: 21
    dischordvision dude!!!! You need to feed your head!!! Maybe take some time off and listen to American Beauty. It sounds to me like you hate The Dead or cant appreciate them.How long have you been stressing about this?
  • Options
    "I won't go see DMB because I hate their fans". etc.
    theres just more truth to certain stereotypes than others... :)

dead fans are a much more cultivated group with a universal appreciation of music... DMB fans (speaking strictly from my experiences) just do whats trendy and really dont know dick about music... strictly IMO of course

there was only so much backlash because the OP chose to focus on drug use
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    theres just more truth to certain stereotypes than others... :)

dead fans are a much more cultivated group with a universal appreciation of music... DMB fans (speaking strictly from my experiences) just do whats trendy and really dont know dick about music... strictly IMO of course

there was only so much backlash because the OP chose to focus on drug use

Funny how this....
    sgossard3 wrote:
    dead fans are a much more cultivated group with a universal appreciation of music

Sounds an awful lot like this....
    We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands

Like I said before... same exact thing but you boys had DischordVision up on the cross. No matter what band you like.. somebody hates them. Its just the way it goes... and everyone has really dumb reasons for hating the bands they hate.. but it doesn't matter. Its just the way it is... and then people break out with "oh well you never saw them live man!" Yeah when was the last time anyone went to go see a band live that they thinks sucks ass? I don't usually do that. Oh let me go check out Divinyls tonight. I hear you haven't truely heard "I touch myself" until you've heard it live!

All your bands suck! :)