Options

No Grateful Dead comparisons!

DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.
First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    People compare Pearl Jam to the Grateful Dead in the way both bands tour, Pearl Jam tours a lot and has many people follow them on tour, Grateful Dead did the same thing, i don't think anyone is saying the fans or the music are the same when they compare the two bands.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I agree and disagree. While most of the media's comparisons are off, the ones that are true, are the devotion of the fan base and the free taping that PJ has always encouraged. Those links can't be denied. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'd try to straighten you out but since you have all these bullshit sterotypes about the dead i feel it would be a lost cause.....just let me say the comparison between the dead and pearl jam lies in the fanaticism of the fan.....we know everything about the band....we will travel all over the world to see them play live....and like the dead, pj members respect us and treat us well...
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    As far as the following u could say is the same peopel travel and follow them and the free spirit and great fan base that looks out for each othe ris the sam the music is different but as far as the fan base they are the same
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    I think we all need, as PJ fans, attempt to lose or disassociate w/ the Grateful Dead comparisons that have been written & talked about over the past 5-6 years.
    First off, the Grateful Dead are dead, have been since Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Second, we are not nor am I by any means burnt out druggie hippies trying to revive the 1960's & 70's on a daily basis. Third, the music is huge parallels apart from each other. The Grateful Dead were just a dope/LSD laced jam band that happened to form in a city(San Francisco) that accepted that sort of birth at the time. We however, are not druggies (I hope) & have more intelligence & intrigue than most fans of rock bands. Pearl Jam's soul & identity gives way to the freedom of punk rock & the all out integrity of 70's arena rock. Ok, so the Dead & PJ had a lot of music out in a short length of time at their peak & the Ten Club members/die hards know the songs like their short n' curlys, so what? Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    So what makes us survive? The band's topics such as politics, evolution & faith? you decide...not some critic who sees us & the band as new age jam heads...no thank you at all...

stop preaching. not your stong suit.
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    Jerry lives...
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301

Wow... Let me start by saying you are an idiot. I am a huge Grateful Dead fan and do not fit any of the stereotypes you speak of. It was a completely different generation of people who followed the Dead... that doesn't make them morons; just different than you... As for not going anywhere anytime soon I believe any of us would be thrilled if PJ lasted close to as long as the Dead did. Like others said people only compare the 2 because of their cult followings and their extensive live catalogues. Now please stop acting like a dick and assuming other PJ fans are as stuck up as you are because from my experience most are not.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    how do you think PJ got the idea to let their fans record every shows.the answer is THE GOOD OLD GREATFUL DEAD.
  • Options
    rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    just throwin it out there...u sound like a creed fan, so i prolly won't listen to u...
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options

I'm still young but did catch 5 shows in the summers of 1994 and 1995 with Jerry. I caught the last wave but beacame a deadhead/fan of the dead's music for life. I consider myself to be a deadhead before a PJ fan. Saw my last dead show one night and the next night saw my first PJ show. So I will always have the connection.

It's the ''anything can happen feeling'' at either bands concerts that are the same. Every show the Dead played was different then the last, so is the same at PJ shows.

How I would loved to have seen Jerry and Ed singing a dead tune together.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020

I'll toast Bob to that thought!
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    i had a teacher named jerry garcia
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options

since you have already been knocked off your high horse and were deservedly beaten for your idiotic comments, i won't kick you while you're down.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I'll toast Bob to that thought!

Nice :D
  • Options
    Well, my computer just crashed and I don't have anywhere near the energy to re-type the essay of reasons why your original post is the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read, so I'll keep it simple.

First - the Dead are not dead. Just because Jerry Garcia died does not mean the band does not live on. To say this goes against all he lived for. And aside from the that, the remaining members still tour. Their music has lived on and will continue to live on in the hearts of Deadheads for years to come!

Second - Do not ever group "us" all together when speaking such idiocies. Even though I am a hippie at heart, I'm not a "burnt out druggie," but there might be some Pearl Jam fans that are. And I'm sure, there are many Dead fans who aren't. But even if somebody is, that does not automatically make you any better of a person. As for trying to revive the 60s and 70s, I can only hope for that. In my opinion, it was a better time, at least musically, with the exception of Pearl Jam, obviously.

Third - Please show me the article that compares the music of the two bands. I don't think anybody on the face of the planet has ever compared their music.

Lastly, I will comment on this:
    Pearl Jam's still alive, always have been & we know they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

I guarantee that there are broken hearted Dead fans all over that will contest to how easy it is for your favorite band to suddenly "end." If not for the sudden passing of Garcia, they would most likely still be touring as the Dead and their fans would still be ever so dedicated. I think we can all agree how heart broken we would be if something sudden changed the current dynamic of Pearl Jam, but I'd like to think that their music would live on regardless, as the Dead's has.

Personally, being associated with true deadheads, is a huge compliment. Their passion is unparalleled, but I think Pearl Jam fans come really close.
  • Options

Me too! :)
  • Options
    how can you deny the comparisons??... PJ have fans that follow them around globally, we collect artsy collectable posters like crazy, we love it when they have sweet extended solos ("jams" in GD's case), ive seen infinite threads talking about how much pot elevates the impact of PJ's music, PJ do alot of covers of other bands, ed and jerry both have beards, PJ has a keyboardist now, giving matt extended drum solo on evenflow, the fans have gatherings even when theres not a concert within months, both use a skull logo pretty extensively, PJ is nothing without stone just like GD is nothing without bob, if youve been to a PJ show with camping facilities id be able to find infinite more similarities :D (etc, etc, etc)

im a big GD fan... i see no problem with the comparisons... an avid fan is an avid fan... doesnt matter who youre supporting... as long as no green bay packer comparisons get started...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    how can you deny the comparisons??... PJ have fans that follow them around globally, we collect artsy collectable posters like crazy, we love it when they have sweet extended solos ("jams" in GD's case), ive seen infinite threads talking about how much pot elevates the impact of PJ's music, PJ do alot of covers of other bands, ed and jerry both have beards, PJ has a keyboardist now, giving matt extended drum solo on evenflow, the fans have gatherings even when theres not a concert within months, both use a skull logo pretty extensively, PJ is nothing without stone just like GD is nothing without bob, if youve been to a PJ show with camping facilities id be able to find infinite more similarities :D (etc, etc, etc)

im a big GD fan... i see no problem with the comparisons... and avid fan is an avid fan... doesnt matter who youre supporting... as long as no green bay packer comparisons get started...

I love your post but whats with the Packer comparisons? LOL
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    sgossard3 wrote:

im a big GD fan... i see no problem with the comparisons... an avid fan is an avid fan... doesnt matter who youre supporting... as long as no green bay packer comparisons get started...

Favre is the Eddie of the Packers and the Packers are the Pearl Jam of the NFL!
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    EEK! packers fans out in full force! no offense fellas... cheeseheads are just the one group of avid fans that stand out as being especially... uhh... irksome ;)

• Options
    jordn6971 wrote:

I think that was my favourite post i have ever had.
  • Options
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I think that was my favourite post i have ever had.
    i think this is the least modest post you have ever had :p

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i think this is the least modest post you have ever had :p

playoffs?
  • Options
    jordn6971 wrote:

LMAO :D

sgossard3 wrote:
    EEK! packers fans out in full force! no offense fellas... cheeseheads are just the one group of avid fans that stand out as being especially... uhh... irksome !

When Bear fans are out in full force I can't stand it around here. But there team crashed and burned and they are already talking Cubs baseball. So in a few months Brewer fans will have to deal with that again. Lets just keep sports out of this thread. Your down there I'm up here. LOL
  • Options
    LMAO :D

When Bear fans are out in full force I can't stand it around here. But there team crashed and burned and they are already talking Cubs baseball. So in a few months Brewer fans will have to deal with that again. Lets just keep sports out of this thread. Your down there I'm up here. LOL
    AGREED! my bad!

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    AGREED! my bad!

I'm cool with yea. Always enjoy your comments. :D
  • Options
    I'm cool with yea. Always enjoy your comments. :D
    PLAY ALPINE IN 2008! (thought ya might like that)

• Options
    I'm old enough to have followed both bands.

It should be considered an honor for PJ and their fans to be so compared to the Grateful Dead.
    the Minions
  • Options

Man there is an entire culture that trips to the Teletubbies. But you can't say that acid trips are what the Teletubbies are about, don't say it about the Dead.....just sayin
    the Minions
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Them-Bones wrote:
    People compare Pearl Jam to the Grateful Dead in the way both bands tour, Pearl Jam tours a lot and has many people follow them on tour, Grateful Dead did the same thing, i don't think anyone is saying the fans or the music are the same when they compare the two bands.

Exactly!!!

The comparison is the relationship between the band and it's ultra-passionate fans. Oh...and the similarities between Boom and Jerry Garcia.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"