Options

The Dark Tower Thread

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
All things Dark tower.

Who could they cast as Roland in a movie?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    All things Dark tower.

Is this like where Batman lives or works or something?
  • Options

It's a novel series by stephen king. 7 books long.
  • Options
    It's a novel series by stephen king. 7 books long.
    damn! must be good
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    All things Dark tower.

I ALWAYS saw him as a young Clint Eastwood
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    I ALWAYS saw him as a young Clint Eastwood

Me too, but he's too old for it now. I honestly can't think of anyone.

By the way, it's damn good.
  • Options
    hopefully we can give fair warning of spoilers. ive only read the first 3 books and the comics.

i did hear awhile ago that there were talks already going about a movie/series. i hope they dont do a tv series cause so much will be censored. but with movies they have a time issue. i cant see them making 5+ movies.

as for actors they need to find a harrison ford, clint eastwood type kid. maybe a cool animated series might work. no cgi beowulf crap though.
  • Options
    hopefully we can give fair warning of spoilers. ive only read the first 3 books and the comics.

i did hear awhile ago that there were talks already going about a movie/series. i hope they dont do a tv series cause so much will be censored. but with movies they have a time issue. i cant see them making 5+ movies.

as for actors they need to find a harrison ford, clint eastwood type kid. maybe a cool animated series might work. no cgi beowulf crap though.

Watch out for the comics then. You may accidentally pick one up that is further ahead than you are. The third one...wizard and glass?
  • Options
    thats the 4th. i actually started with the comics. the comic guy was like here you might like this, so i read it and liked it then started the books. the order is ok since the comics happen before the books. so i kinda knew more about roland then i suppose most people did reading the books.

roland wasnt just someone chasing a guy through the desert for me. i was just wondering how he got there from where the 1st comic series ended and the first book started.

i know the 4th book is supposed to be alot of his past stuff, so im really hoping to start reading that soon, might be the next book i start. i like to space things so i dont get burned out. (happened with tolkien for me)
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Watch out for the comics then. You may accidentally pick one up that is further ahead than you are. The third one...wizard and glass?
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Dark-Tower/Stephen-King/e/9780785127093/?itm=1
    Already been pre-ordered....I can't wait
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

That's what I was thinking too. I thought it was interesting....

****SPOILERS!!!!!******

How the second storyline in the comics deviated a bit from the D/T story as I remember it. I thought Roland gave the 'grapefruit' back right away. But it's been a year or two since I re-read the D/T series.

Also, that page in the comics where Sheemie meets the Robot who gives him his power, my first thought was that the robot was Andy. That would have been a cool continuity move.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    thats the 4th. i actually started with the comics. the comic guy was like here you might like this, so i read it and liked it then started the books. the order is ok since the comics happen before the books. so i kinda knew more about roland then i suppose most people did reading the books.

roland wasnt just someone chasing a guy through the desert for me. i was just wondering how he got there from where the 1st comic series ended and the first book started.

i know the 4th book is supposed to be alot of his past stuff, so im really hoping to start reading that soon, might be the next book i start. i like to space things so i dont get burned out. (happened with tolkien for me)

The waste lands. I always got those two mixed up. I personally wouldn't have liked knowing what was coming before getting to it if I had picked up the comics first. I burned through those books like crazy. Read the first four in about three months and had to wait seven damn years to finish the series up.
  • Options

It's tough to get burned out on the D/T series. Even if it gets to be a lot, there is so much else in the King universe that ties into it along the way, you can pick up any one of his books and pick up some side information.

Insomnia is the book that really kicked it in for me on King, but the two books he did with Peter Straub (Talisman and Black House) are very much entwined in the Dark Tower series, as are the (King Written) Richard Bachman books The Regulators and Desperation.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    That's what I was thinking too. I thought it was interesting....

****SPOILERS!!!!!******

How the second storyline in the comics deviated a bit from the D/T story as I remember it. I thought Roland gave the 'grapefruit' back right away. But it's been a year or two since I re-read the D/T series.

Also, that page in the comics where Sheemie meets the Robot who gives him his power, my first thought was that the robot was Andy. That would have been a cool continuity move.

I only got to browse them when I was killing time at books a million. The artwork is awesome though. I'm glad they show the grit and blood that's in the books. I need to reread the entire series. I've only been through it once and like I said before, I read the first four really fast and had to wait for the other three.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    It's tough to get burned out on the D/T series. Even if it gets to be a lot, there is so much else in the King universe that ties into it along the way, you can pick up any one of his books and pick up some side information.

Insomnia is the book that really kicked it in for me on King, but the two books he did with Peter Straub (Talisman and Black House) are very much entwined in the Dark Tower series, as are the (King Written) Richard Bachman books The Regulators and Desperation.

Insomnia gave me the best visuals of any book I have ever read. When he's describing the auras of people...my mind was going full force.

Behind the TDT series, the talisman and black house are my two favorite books. I just can't get enough of that fantasy/real world type of writing. The regulators was decent...but desperation was incredible.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    ive never really cared for the translation of kings horror stuff to film... "needful things" and "the stand" were both pretty good... but the more poignant, touching stuff like "stand by me" and "shawshank" do much better... might have to check out these novels though and decide for myself how theyd work as a film... with the right cast and budget though im sure anything from king could be stellar... unless it involves a certain haunted car
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I was obsessed. OBSESSED with these books in junior high and high school.. I have them all, but stopped after Wizard and the Glass.. I NEED to finish this some time.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    sgossard3 wrote:
    ive never really cared for the translation of kings horror stuff to film... "needful things" and "the stand" were both pretty good... but the more poignant, touching stuff like "stand by me" and "shawshank" do much better... might have to check out these novels though and decide for myself how theyd work as a film... with the right cast and budget though im sure anything from king could be stellar... unless it involves a certain haunted car
    edit
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

Christine wasn't so bad of a movie. I'm a bit biased though, the football scene was filmed at my high school (showing my age, I was a student then).

Been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember it being decent. The only other King adaptation I've really liked was Shawshank. I remember the Stand and It TV adapatations being good too, or at least they seemed so at the time.

If they were to do a movie adaptation, and I hope they don't, it would have to be done Hobbit style, where each book gets its own film. Maybe the first two could be put together (Gunslinger/Drawing of the Three), but beyond that... No idea how to cast this one, beyond Clint Eastwood about 40 years ago as Roland.

*edited to add - This may be the first time in my life that I've used the phrase 'It would have to be done Hobbit style'. May be the last too...

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    merkinball wrote:
    *edited to add - This may be the first time in my life that I've used the phrase 'It would have to be done Hobbit style'. May be the last too...
    youd be surprised how often i use that saying in the bedroom...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Christine wasn't so bad of a movie. I'm a bit biased though, the football scene was filmed at my high school (showing my age, I was a student then).

Been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember it being decent. The only other King adaptation I've really liked was Shawshank. I remember the Stand and It TV adapatations being good too, or at least they seemed so at the time.

If they were to do a movie adaptation, and I hope they don't, it would have to be done Hobbit style, where each book gets its own film. Maybe the first two could be put together (Gunslinger/Drawing of the Three), but beyond that... No idea how to cast this one, beyond Clint Eastwood about 40 years ago as Roland.

Eastwood definitely would have been the perfect Roland. And you're right about each book having to be it's own movie. There is just too much stuff to cover to try to make it into anything other than that. (Atleast from my stand point. I'm sure there's people who don't like it as much that could find some stuff that could be cut out. But then you'd be pissing off the diehards...)
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    JJ Abrams has the film rights. Hopefully something will come of it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:

read the talisman and aside from liking the comics this book was one of the reasons i tried the dark tower stuff. i was always under the impression that king was a horror writer. but since talisman was great i figured hey maybe he can do more non-horror. but now his non-horror stuff is easily my favorite.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    The Dark Tower overtook my life for about 3 months in the summer of 1999. I had not picked up any of these books yet and I was a huge fan of King and I met a buddy in college who was also a huge fan of King and recommend I pick the first 4 books up (which were the only ones out at the time) and wow, I was completely sucked into to that world.

My favourite series of books ever, I am going to return to them sometime in the future and read them again
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I was thinking about starting over again. I read 1-4 a few years ago and re-read them before 5 came out. Then I went straight through 5-7.

Wizard and Glass is still my favorite. That world he created is incredible. And he managed to keep the tension up even though you already knew how it was going to end.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I read the first three earlier this year. I have Wizard and Glass at home and just ordered book 5. I love the story, but I needed to take a break for a few months. Everyone seems to say Wizard & Glass is the best one so I'm looking forward to that.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Flagg wrote:
    I was thinking about starting over again. I read 1-4 a few years ago and re-read them before 5 came out. Then I went straight through 5-7.

Wizard and Glass is still my favorite. That world he created is incredible. And he managed to keep the tension up even though you already knew how it was going to end.

yes, it was mine as well

I totally fell in love with Susan Delgado, lol

am I not the only one ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    yes, it was mine as well

I totally fell in love with Susan Delgado, lol

am I not the only one ?

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

I cried.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    JJ Abrams has the film rights. Hopefully something will come of it.

thats the guy that does lost right? if so thats the same dude i read about months ago. i like the books ive read and dont think a movie can be better, but seeing how lotr was done i think if treated right they could make a very good movie. so you need a guy that actually respects the story to start. and it seems abrams could be that guy.

these are one of the few books while reading i kept thinking, that would be cool in a movie.
  • Options
    these are one of the few books while reading i kept thinking, that would be cool in a movie.

**************HUGE SPOILERS*****************

************Really, big spoilers if you haven't finished the series*********

Except the ending of the 7th (last) book. It took a while to get what was Kings intent there, I doubt that would pay off well in a movie. And, no offense to King, but they'd have to up Flagg's death. That was one of the more disappointing aspects of the book.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

hahaha

I was wondering myself if this was just a mistitled Batman thread
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com