Options

"you look too young to have a child."

Comments

• Options
    I would have said the same thing before I had the kid. :D

I'm only kiddin', people are in different stages of their lives in their late 20's....some are ready, some are not. I'm not though. I'm thinking around age 32 at the earliest.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    I'm only kiddin', people are in different stages of their lives in their late 20's....some are ready, some are not. I'm not though. I'm thinking around age 32 at the earliest.

Yeah, I figured. :)

And you're totally right.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    lol! :D

You're too kind. :) Thanks!

You're welcome.

And I don't think 27 is too young to have kids, and who is anyone to judge, any damn way? I could have had a child at 27, I deeply regret that I didn't try. I would do anything to change that if it were possible. You don't want to live life with that kind of regret.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    You're welcome.

And I don't think 27 is too young to have kids, and who is anyone to judge, any damn way? I could have had a child at 27, I deeply regret that I didn't try. I would do anything to change that if it were possible. You don't want to live life with that kind of regret.

honestly if you can support a child at 16, more power to you.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I went to some training for a new part-time job I am starting, and while making small talk with a couple of the people training me, I mentioned my daughter. one of the women looked at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way, "You look too young to have a child."

Huh? :D

I responded with "well...I'm 27..."

She also glanced down at my left hand as she said it, and I think she was checking for rings (which I happened to not be wearing...)

Maybe she was just trying to flatter me, or something, but what a weird comment to make...lol.

people are weird. i had a girl in one of my classes last semester tell me she nearly choked when i mentioned in class that i was 42. she said she thought i was in my late 20s. i dont think i do. so i had to share with her that the baby i was holding was my grand daughter. that certainly made her stop.
    im not that good at guesstimating people's ages but she really made my day that day. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    people are weird. i had a girl in one of my classes last semester tell me she nearly choked when i mentioned in class that i was 42. she said she thought i was in my late 20s. i dont think i do. so i had to share with her that the baby i was holding was my grand daughter. that certainly made her stop.
    im not that good at guesstimating people's ages but she really made my day that day. :)

42's too young to be a granny. Who had the kid way to young, you, or your kid?
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    honestly if you can support a child at 16, more power to you.
    Obviously I don't think that is a good idea, goes without saying.

I meant who is anyone to judge J.Lo for having a baby at 27. I don't think it's too young, and if she had a job and a home and all of that, I don't see why should anyone judge her even if she had become a single mother at 27. Let He who is without sin cast the first stone.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options

i had my 1st at 21 and my 2nd at 23. my 3rd at 32 and my youngest at 34. my daughter was 18 when her daughter was born.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    Obviously I don't think that is a good idea, goes without saying.

I meant who is anyone to judge J.Lo for having a baby at 27. I don't think it's too young, and if she had a job and a home and all of that, I don't see why should anyone judge her even if she had become a single mother at 27. Let He who is without sin cast the first stone.

You contradict yourself. First you say who's to judge, then you say 16 is too young. Hypocrite!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, I can't tell

but you know people do things differently. My mother was married when she was 18 and had my brother at 21.
    Then she had a miscarriage

and the doctors told her she'd never have any more children. Then at 35, whooops! I came into the world :)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    i had my 1st at 21 and my 2nd at 23. my 3rd at 32 and my youngest at 34. my daughter was 18 when her daughter was born.

You need this shirt! http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/gilf
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    You contradict yourself. Hypocrite!

as I said, what I meant is who is anyone to judge JLo. Geesh.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Allie wrote:

but you know people do things differently. My mother was married when she was 18 and had my brother at 21.
    Then she had a miscarriage

and the doctors told her she'd never have any more children. Then at 35, whooops! I came into the world :)

I was a surprise, too! :D

My parents thought they were done having kids, and they had a 15 yr old and a 17 yr old when I was born.

(Incidentally, my brother also became a grandparent at 42!)
  • Options
    Allie wrote:

Oh, I don't give two shits when people have kids, its none of my biz. 42 does seem like a young granny to me though...my parents are both almost 60, and still not grandparents.....and probably won't be for a few more years.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Oh, I don't give two shits when people have kids, its none of my biz. 42 does seem like a young granny to me though...my parents are both almost 60, and still not grandparents.....and probably won't be for a few more years.
    hah
    that's not what you said in the Barry Bonds thread :p

LOL

my Mom is going to be 70 in February and my Dad is 74 and they're impatiently waiting for their grandbaby too
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options

My sister turned 40 while in grad school a couple of years ago, and her fellow students were SHOCKED when they found out that she was turning 40! They all assumed she was around 30 or under. She loves it! But, she does remember a time (when she was my age) that it was annoying to be mistaken for being younger. :)
  • Options

for me right now tis the perfect age to be a grandma.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    my Mom is going to be 70 in February and my Dad is 74 and they're impatiently waiting for their grandbaby too

well, my parents aren't impatiently waiting.....they're pretty active...my mom just retired, and is living it up. My wife and I are enjoying being married for the time being....traveling, concerts, sleeping in on weekends, spur of the moment activities.........I'm not ready for that to stop just yet.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    My sister turned 40 while in grad school a couple of years ago, and her fellow students were SHOCKED when they found out that she was turning 40! They all assumed she was around 30 or under. She loves it! But, she does remember a time (when she was my age) that it was annoying to be mistaken for being younger. :)

I enjoy being mistaken for younger at this point. I always say God Bless you when someone says I look like I'm in my 20's. It runs in my family, my Mom looks younger
    and my Grandma always looked younger and she lived to 80.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    for me right now tis the perfect age to be a grandma.

hell yeah, you can actually keep up with them!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    well, my parents aren't impatiently waiting.....they're pretty active...my mom just retired, and is living it up. My wife and I are enjoying being married for the time being....traveling, concerts, sleeping in on weekends, spur of the moment activities.........I'm not ready for that to stop just yet.

You can still have some of that. You just have to live across the street from your in-laws. ;):D
  • Options
    You can still have some of that. You just have to live across the street from your in-laws. ;):D

fuck that! I love em and all, but I like a safe distance.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options

ah
    well my parents are older, like I said. I'm the only one that's even able to give them a grandbaby.
    And I want to have one like, yesterday. I just need to meet the guy! D'oh :eek:
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    ah
    well my parents are older, like I said. I'm the only one that's even able to give them a grandbaby.
    And I want to have one like, yesterday. I just need to meet the guy! D'oh :eek:

I've got a single friend, wanna hook it up?

FYI - You and my wife have the same b-day.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    fuck that! I love em and all, but I like a safe distance.

:D I hear ya! We're really lucky in that they really respect our privacy and stuff... And my mother-in-law lives to babysit, and refuses to accept money for it. So it works out pretty well. :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    my mom had her first at 22 and her last (me) at 35 and in between she 3 more....just thought i'd add that....:)
  • Options
    :D I hear ya! We're really lucky in that they really respect our privacy and stuff... And my mother-in-law lives to babysit, and refuses to accept money for it. So it works out pretty well. :)

that's awesome....don't take it for granted though...I have friends who tell me about how much daycare costs!!!! You've got a good thing going sounds like.
    I'll watch my niece and nephew overnight every once in a blue moon, and it reminds me that I'm not ready for kiddies just yet.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    hell yeah, you can actually keep up with them!
    the funny thing is i go through these clucky cycles (as im sure a few of us do). anyway in the december i'd had a dream that my eldest daughter was pregnant. she was horrified when i mentioned it to her. about a month later i had the same dream, but this time i didnt say anything. i come back from holidays late january and my 2nd daughter comes to me in tears and tells me she's pregnant. alls i could do was burst out laughing. i was okay with any decision she made. and i got to cut my grand daughter's cord when she was born. that was very sweet i have to say. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I've got a single friend, wanna hook it up?

FYI - You and my wife have the same b-day.

hee hee. kentucky is too far away! But thanks, I appreciate it!

and cool, a fellow pisces! And the same day! Wow. That's cool! what is your sign?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    the funny thing is i go through these clucky cycles (as im sure a few of us do). anyway in the december i'd had a dream that my eldest daughter was pregnant. she was horrified when i mentioned it to her. about a month later i had the same dream, but this time i didnt say anything. i come back from holidays late january and my 2nd daughter comes to me in tears and tells me she's pregnant. alls i could do was burst out laughing. i was okay with any decision she made. and i got to cut my grand daughter's cord when she was born. that was very sweet i have to say. :)

AW! Cate! That's fantastic. I've dreamt that people I know were pregnant also, before they knew they were.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
This discussion has been closed.