The Ignorant Irish Supporters of Soccer

13»

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    elmer wrote:
    c'mon, do you really believe this? It discredits your entire argument still further, and its not really a matter of opinion at all. The game is now faster throughout the top level, hop back ten years and players such as ronaldo, tevez wouldnt be playing in england, they wouldnt wish to. Where was the standard 10years ago. you had 17stone strikers like Hartson, fat bastards like le tissier,gascoigne & merson were the 'skill' men.

I won't buy into this at all. Just because the game is faster you think its better. I watched highlights of the 1970 cup final today and it was far more entertaining that most of todays games.

I won't buy into it that they are much faster, sure ronadlo is fast but look at the Ronadlo of ten years ago (the brazilian one) when he was at barca. Now he wasn't slow was he. Speedie players in every generation but its more athletic now and the le tissier,gascoigne & merson and more skill in their big toes that most of todays players.
    Le Tissier was the most overlooked English player of the last ten years

Name me one english striker who would match you to a Shearer or a Fowler in 95 or 96?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The only teams i like watching in England are Man U and Arsenal, other teams are really boring in comparison. Id much rather watch a Spanish game, or even a Scottish game! Scottish football isnt always the prettiest but there's far less cheating.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    Another thing the best game of the last world cup was 0-0 after 115 minutes of the game!
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    fada wrote:
    I won't buy into this at all. Just because the game is faster you think its better. I watched highlights of the 1970 cup final today and it was far more entertaining that most of todays games.

I won't buy into it that they are much faster, sure ronadlo is fast but look at the Ronadlo of ten years ago (the brazilian one) when he was at barca. Now he wasn't slow was he. Speedie players in every generation but its more athletic now and the le tissier,gascoigne & merson and more skill in their big toes that most of todays players.

Name me one english striker who would match you to a Shearer or a Fowler in 95 or 96?
    You are confusing your arguments, you are either debating the english game or the english players. Steven Gerrard for example is one of the best english players of the past 15 years. England are producing underwhelming players, anyone can see this, and yet the game is excellent one is not contingent on the other.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    You are confusing your arguments, you are either debating the english game or the english players. Steven Gerrard for example is one of the best english players of the past 15 years. England are producing underwhelming players, anyone can see this, and yet the game is excellent one is not contingent on the other.
    and nobody has given any kinda debate to my points either :o . I thought I put my point across pretty well, which I must have cos they can't seem to find fault with why I still consider myself a supporter.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i concur....i've been an arsenal fan since i can remember, my grandad used to tell me stories about going to highbury before & after the war, my dad chimed in with his stories of the gunners & my devotion was sealed at a very young age. but living in new zealand (where football is still considered a 'gay' sport by a largely rugby population :rolleyes: ) it's pretty much a logistical impossibility to support my team any other way. yes i wear my replica shirt, sitting on the couch yelling at the ref on the tv, how else can i support them :confused:

i've sat proudly through the great seasons & just as proudly through the shit ones. i've jumped around the lounge at 4am in the morning, i've shared their highs & lows, got the cannon tattoo, drink my cup of tea out of an arsenal mug, follow what news i can get my teeth into everyday, and was even lucky enough to grace the stands of highbury for one game.

i may not be able to go to emirates every other week but i AM a true fan, always will be. football is one of my passions & i am a gunner for life. so maybe spare a thought for those devoted fans who are half a world away, but whose hearts are there 110%.

Well said, although all these Man U fans that are everywhere that can't name 4 of their players and live near major clubs really piss me of.

Stunning fact: Arsenal are the only club in history where the club and manager begin with ARSE!
    If English players are so good then why are England so shite? I dont deny Gerrard is a good player but the media in England overhypes players and their football to an unbelievable extent. There are many, many players from europe and south america who show players like Gerrard or Beckham up in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    fada wrote:

I meant the premier league had improved as a spectacle, in most aspects, agree english players havent gotten any better and maybe their level has dipped but y'know I dont really care much for the international scene at all.

Take the Arsenal 91 League winning team, who's gonna make todays Arsenal squad? Adams & Limpar, for sure, Merson maybe but when you get to Perry Groves, Alan Smith and others its championship level by comparison.

Rooney I'd match to shearer or fowler in their prime, the latter I dont think would make as huge an impact as he did.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Football is an international game , witness that 1.2 billion people world wide reportedly tuned in to watch or listen to Manchester United v. Chelsea earlier this year. Lots of folks from countries with domestic leagues and either red or blue leanings tuning in.

Count me in on the former . We have inferior quality domestic footie , i.e. MLS , here . As for leanings, I've been an Ajax and Celtic supporter, not a supporter of any particular EPL side , for more than thirty years ( I'm 48 ) .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    elmer wrote:
    I meant the premier league had improved as a spectacle, in most aspects, agree english players havent gotten any better and maybe their level has dipped but y'know I dont really care much for the international scene at all.

Take the Arsenal 91 League winning team, who's gonna make todays Arsenal squad? Adams & Limpar, for sure, Merson maybe but when you get to Perry Groves, Alan Smith and others its championship level by comparison.

Rooney I'd match to shearer or fowler in their prime, the latter I dont think would make as huge an impact as he did.

It totally disagree with you on your last comment. Shearer was scoring 35 and 36 goals in a season and he had three very bad career threatening injuries after.
    Rooney is again another hyped up player. He is good but when Fowler burst on the scene he was the most exciting English player in ages.

Rooney had not scored for England for three years up to a month or so again yet he is touted as one of the best English players ever.

I am really referring to ten years ago in the premiership.
    Take Newcastle and Liverpool two of the most exciting teams that ever played back around 95 or 96.
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    dunkman wrote:
    its akin to paraplegic synchronised swimming

ah the SPL just came rushing to the brain for some reason!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    hooliganism isn't an entirely English thing... it's a soccer thing! Are the Turks, the Dutch, the Poles, the Germans (hooligans) trying to be English or are they just wankers? I'd say the latter.

indeed....its a fuckin idiotic ritual to many a footyfuckwit!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
    Im not a fan of hooliganism at all but the Russians/Polish hooligan elements put the English hooligans to shame. Instead of going around in big groups battering innocents and taking their aggression out on cafe windows, they meet up away from public areas and fight with like minded individuals. Give the plastic chairs a break you english hooligans!!
    MJSB74 wrote:
    You are so far out of your depth with this thread it is unreal. You have absolutely no idea what it is to be a real football supporter. None. How exactly do you support 'your' team from another country?! This baffles me.Sitting on your settee watching the highlights whilst wearing a replica shirt isn't supporting a team.
    I follow my team everywhere, I go to youth games, U18 games, U21 games reserve games, home and away.This has cost me thousands of pounds, and Im not a rich man. I think nothing of travelling 200 miles on a freezing Wednesday night in the middle of winter to stand for 2 hours in the pissing rain in a stadium with no roof. I am quite happy to eat cold pies and bovril that tastes like mud.I have been a fundraiser for my club which helped save them from extinction when they went 30 million pounds in debt. I have stood outside various grounds with a bucket asking for cash just to keep my club alive. I have put my hand in my pocket to help my club sign a player, yep,we actually bought the player because our club had no money. I have shovelled snow at my teams ground at 7.30 on a Saturday morning so that the game that day could go ahead.

This would be dedication if my team were good, but they're not, they're rubbish. Doesn't matter though, they're my home town team and I will support them til the day I die.

You telling people you know what it is to be a fan is an insult to all real fans everywhere. You will never know what it is.

"Making an assertion about something when you don't know what you are talking about tends make you look like and idiot"

You're at least right with one thing. You've just shown everyone what a complete ass-hat you are. Well done. Next time pick an argument you can win.

jaysus fari credit to ya for doin all that for ur home team......

though you're being as ignorant if u think everyone else (including myself) isnt a fan of a certain footy team if they dont spend thousands of pounds on goin to see the toddler squad go train every fuckin wednesday morning b4 nap time......get a grip man.

im irish and proud......but im also a liverpool fan....where its expensive to go to games....even though i now reside here....so technically u canty have a go at me for following em if i was to go strictly by ur regime......but fuck it ive been followin em since i was 8 yrs old....

just wake the fuck up!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    all this crap at the moment about how foreign players are damaging the development of english players. And now Gerrard and Owen are getting involved, they should keep their mouths quiet, especially Owen until he plays more than a dozen games in succession. The eventual outcome of all of this may be the requirement for there to be 3 english players in every starting line-up. I hate the entire idea. If England qualify for the euro's then all well and good but its only gonna occupy a week or two.

What I said about athleticism improving the modern game was maybe a little skewed, many of the teams in la liga havent the same pace and strength as their english counterparts but through their touch, passing and movement can control games. What Wenger seems to have done is married all the elements essential to the premiership to the superior qualities of some of the teams on the continent.
  • stu gee wrote:
    If English players are so good then why are England so shite? I dont deny Gerrard is a good player but the media in England overhypes players and their football to an unbelievable extent. There are many, many players from europe and south america who show players like Gerrard or Beckham up in my opinion.
    The F.A. that's why.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    The F.A. that's why.

How do you mean?
  • They are a bunch of old men picking managers they can control. They never pick the best managers. (Clough, Allardyce) So we get weak ass puppets like Sven and McLaren. Plus they pick based on stardom and club size. So good role players who could help the likes of Gerrard succeed never get a sniff. Only when there were too many injuries to count did Barry get a chance at playing. Why? Because he's an Aston Villa player.

Plus I know I mentioned it, but McLaren is a tit. Kept putting Lampard out there to hamper the better International Gerrard.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    The only time i ever thought England were in danger of winning anything was when Venables was in charge. Mclaren has never been the man for the job in my eyes. They have had every opportunity as well. With the players they have and the groups they have been drawn in in recent years they should have done much better.
  • stu gee wrote:
    The only time i ever thought England were in danger of winning anything was when Venables was in charge. Mclaren has never been the man for the job in my eyes. They have had every opportunity as well. With the players they have and the groups they have been drawn in in recent years they should have done much better.
    I would agree with that, although England had a reasonable shot in 1990 as well.
    I would agree with that, although England had a reasonable shot in 1990 as well.

I was only 6 then so i dont remember that too well, think that was the time with Linekar etc. The next world cup they didnt even qualify for from what i recall!
  • Yeah, I was 13 they we're pretty good with Lineker and Platt.

Yeah no USA 94, which as an Anglo american I was really glad about. Didn;t have to explain all the drunk English sleeping in the town centers!
    Yeah, I was 13 they we're pretty good with Lineker and Platt.

Yeah no USA 94, which as an Anglo american I was really glad about. Didn;t have to explain all the drunk English sleeping in the town centers!

oh how we loved ray houghten after that tournament.......just like euro '88!!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
This discussion has been closed.