Civil War books.....

SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
edited September 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Can anyone of you recommend some really good books on the civil war? Any and all help is appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!!
~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SENROCK! wrote:
    Can anyone of you recommend some really good books on the civil war? Any and all help is appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!!
    are we talking the Oregon State vs. Oregon football rivalry, or American history? Makes a difference kinda ;)
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    If you are talking straight facts, the 3 volume Civil w
    War books by Shelby Foote are extremely fact based. Tilted slightly to the southern point of view.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    are we talking the Oregon State vs. Oregon football rivalry, or American history? Makes a difference kinda ;)

Cute captain. :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• SENROCK! wrote:
    Cute captain. :D
    Hey, it was the first thing that came to mind. And with this new interest of yours in football, I wasn't sure :D
    War books by Shelby Foote are extremely fact based. Tilted slightly to the southern point of view.

Thank you BLACK D! My mom is in search of finding a "good" book on this to get facts and stuff so your suggestion is great. Any other ones?

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I prefer UYI 1.
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    Thank you BLACK D! My mom is in search of finding a "good" book on this to get facts and stuff so your suggestion is great. Any other ones?
    Anything specific? A lot of the Lincoln biographies have interesting slants.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    For historical fiction, check out Bernard Cornwell's Starbuck Chronicles. It's set during the civil war, and based around actual locations/events.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    Anything specific? A lot of the Lincoln biographies have interesting slants.

i dont know! im asking her what EXXXACTLY and she says she is just interested in finding out facts and how it started and how it ended and basically just the history of it all.

merkinball wrote:
    For historical fiction, check out Bernard Cornwell's Starbuck Chronicles. It's set during the civil war, and based around actual locations/events.

That sounds interesting. Thanks!

• catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    killer angels- michael shaara

i think it won the pulitzer, and it inspired the movie gettysburg. i don't much care for war novels, but this one is incredible.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Along with those that have already been mentioned, McPherson is a great author to check out. "For Cause and Comrades" gives you some good primary source material taken from soldier letters. Also, "Battle Cry of Freedom."

If you would like a book on how the War has shaped the South (specifically to this day), "Confederates in the Attic" by Tony Horwitz is a great read. He does a great job of picking apart the obsession the War can be in the South without being judgmental.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    If it was tilted towards the Southern point of view...it would refer to the war as "The War of Northern Aggression." :p
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • If you want a political point of view of what was going on, Team of Rivals from Doris Kearns Goodwin. The story of Lincoln's cabinet and war team. Very well written.
    GoiMTvP.gif