Where do you get your news from?

13»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Mostly MEMES.  They hold the most weight with me now a days.  That and Tea Leaves...
    #1 Answer!

I mean,  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I get mine mostly from a "rogue" FB group of friends. The posts in that group are well thought out and from reliable sources. I also like a local talk radio program. I can't stand televised news. (Tragedy with a smile.)
    I get mine mostly from a "rogue" FB group of friends. The posts in that group are well thought out and from reliable sources. I also like a local talk radio program. I can't stand televised news. (Tragedy with a smile.)
    Yeah, television news is a joke any more.  It's all dramatized.

So much news is bullshit. 

I just finished this great book:

It's the story of Jose Salvador Alvarenga, a fisherman born in El Salvador who goes to work for a fishing outfit in Mexico, ends up adrift when his boat's motor dies and manages to survive adrift on the Pacific Ocean for 438  days.  An amazing story!  When word of the story first leaked, Alvarenga was in pretty bad shape and was not able to communicate much of what actually happened, so news media all over the world embellished the story to generate more sensationalism. 

Jon Krakauer talks about how the media did the same thing when the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster was unfolding. 

The media does this all the time.  It's ridiculous.

"Believe nothing you hear, and only half that you see."
    -Edgar Allen Poe

"Don't believe half of what you see
    and none of what you hear."
    -Lou Reed

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    I get mine mostly from a "rogue" FB group of friends. The posts in that group are well thought out and from reliable sources. I also like a local talk radio program. I can't stand televised news. (Tragedy with a smile.)

It's the story of Jose Salvador Alvarenga, a fisherman born in El Salvador who goes to work for a fishing outfit in Mexico, ends up adrift when his boat's motor dies and manages to survive adrift on the Pacific Ocean for 438  days.  An amazing story!  When word of the story first leaked, Alvarenga was in pretty bad shape and was not able to communicate much of what actually happened, so news media all over the world embellished the story to generate more sensationalism. 

Jon Krakauer talks about how the media did the same thing when the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster was unfolding. 

-Edgar Allen Poe

-Lou Reed

<3<3<3

I typically read fantasy/drama/sci-fi/horror but you have me intrigued. :-) It might be time for me to stop back in at my library.
    (Last reading I got from there was coding. I'm still working on digesting that information and applying it.) 

Thank you so much for your post. Cheers!

Sometimes we need to listen, but it is the space between the words where truth resides.
    brianlux said:

-Edgar Allen Poe

-Lou Reed

<3<3<3

I typically read fantasy/drama/sci-fi/horror but you have me intrigued. :-) It might be time for me to stop back in at my library.
    (Last reading I got from there was coding. I'm still working on digesting that information and applying it.) 

Sometimes we need to listen, but it is the space between the words where truth resides.
    It's an amazing story and really moves along nicely.  I stayed up later that I should have a few nights reading it.  Now I'm thinking, "What on earth do I read to follow that one with!"

I think maybe they might have fashioned Tom Hanks a bit after Alvarenga in the movie "Castaway"

Alvarenga:

Hanks:

And cheers to you too dionnesimone!

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

-Edgar Allen Poe

-Lou Reed

<3<3<3

It's an amazing story and really moves along nicely.  I stayed up later that I should have a few nights reading it.  Now I'm thinking, "What on earth do I read to follow that one with!"

I think maybe they might have fashioned Tom Hanks a bit after Alvarenga in the movie "Castaway"

Alvarenga:

Hanks:

And cheers to you too dionnesimone!
    That quite the resemblance ... I think you are right.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    edited August 2018
    The Toronto Star.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.