How happy are you?

dr jamdr jam Posts: 69
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    that was an interesting read. :) thanks for posting.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    "Countries classified by the United Nations as ‘medium human development’ come out better than both low and high-development countries: Only one ‘low-development’ country has a strong HPI score, whilst 21 per cent of countries classified as ‘highly-developed’ do. However, 44 per cent of countries with ‘medium-development’ score well. This is because, beyond a certain level, vastly increasing consumption fails to lead to greater well-being."

This seems so obvious to me, and yet the almost unquestioned message from our media and our government is to buy more and more and more stuff.

"Island nations score well above average in the Index: They have higher life satisfaction, higher life expectancy and marginally lower Footprints than other states. Yet incomes (by GDP per capita) are roughly equal to the world average. Even within regions, islands do well. Malta tops the Western world with Cyprus in seventh place (out of 24).

Did you see that, polaris? We were right on the money! Malta here we come!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    hippiemom wrote:
    "Island nations score well above average in the Index: They have higher life satisfaction, higher life expectancy and marginally lower Footprints than other states. Yet incomes (by GDP per capita) are roughly equal to the world average. Even within regions, islands do well. Malta tops the Western world with Cyprus in seventh place (out of 24).

Did you see that, polaris? We were right on the money! Malta here we come!

woohoo!! ... malta! ...
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    V Cool. Confirms many of my personal observations in my travels around the globe. Some of the happiest people I've met in other countries, are also some of the poorest.
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    polaris wrote:
    woohoo!! ... malta! ...

Saw a special on Malta just last night on TV. Interesting statistic considering the terrain. Might have to take a peek over there sometime soon.

uhoh... another Malta thread :D
    funny, i zoned on the island thing too. :) very interesting.

in regards to the consumption issue, sounds very reasnable. it's kinda like the studies done on overall happiness and personal satisfaction. the rich had no more personal happiness than the not rich. it really is true, money does not equate happiness. yes, a ceertain degree of comfort/security...but beyond that, just pure wealth...really doesn't amp up your happiness scale at all. so the fact that more consumption doesn't either, doesn't surprise me in the least.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    this article isn't about being happy ... its about having a happy planet ... viva malta!
    polaris wrote:
    this article isn't about being happy ... its about having a happy planet ... viva malta!

sure.
    but it is related to personal happiness as well, thus why they questioned people about their relative happiness.
    also too, why i said 'kinda like'...meaning related, not the same exactly.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    who has time to read? i'm too busy being happy.