fifefife Posts: 3,327
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
Police, EMS target of gunfire
Suspect wanted on charge of attempted murder
One man taken to hospital with gunshot wounds
Jun. 30, 2006. 06:16 AM
BETSY POWELL AND TRACY HUFFMAN
CRIME REPORTERS

A gunman who fired several shots at police officers and paramedics downtown early yesterday remains on the loose.

Toronto police have issued a warrant for Quinn Borde, 23, who is facing a charge of attempted murder.

Borde, who is bearded, 5-foot-7 and 160 pounds, should be considered armed and dangerous, according to police, and should not be approached if spotted.

Police were responding to reports of a shooting at about 4:30 a.m. near Dundas St. E. and River St., and found a man with gunshot wounds. He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

As officers approached, a man opened fire. An Emergency Medical Services (EMS) vehicle, an SUV, was hit by two bullets, but no one was injured.

The EMS driver said a man stepped out in front of the vehicle and began firing. One bullet pierced the hood.

"I was transporting, the crew was following — the crew going along Shuter, I was going down Dundas, going to meet the crew at St. Mike's," district supervisor Brian Toshoff told CP24.

"A gentleman came out, stood in the middle of the road, and had a gun in his hand, and took two shots, directly ... it looked like it was directly at me."

The man fled the scene.

Two women were taken into custody on Dundas St. E., but so far no charges have been laid.

Police from 51 Division spent much of yesterday focusing their investigation in the Dundas and River area.

Several streets were closed for some time and TTC streetcar operations were briefly disrupted.

"Fortunately, no members were seriously injured," Toronto Police Association president Dave Wilson said in a news release.

He blamed the shooting on the shortfall of police officers. Toronto has 5,100 uniform officers — 145 fewer than last June, Wilson said, due to such things as retirements.

"The police administration, police services board and politicians have had nearly a year to come up with a plan to address the violence and deal effectively with staffing levels to prevent a repeat of the critical shortfalls of summer 2005, but they have failed to use that time wisely to implement a solution, and now that situation has only grown worse," Wilson said.

Police statistics for the year so far show that shootings are down by about 16 per cent — 137 this year compared to 164 at the same time last year.

The homicide rate is about the same as last year at this time, police say, although there have been fewer killings involving firearms.

Of the 32 homicides to date, 13 have been due to gunfire, a 36 per cent decrease from last year, when 19 of the 30 homicides were the result of shootings.

what ever happen to the time you used to beat the crap out of people?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Here comes the thunder down under
    we're natural wonders
    night falls when we leave all you feel is the hunger
    sunrises of people all shapes and sizes
    dig on the decade and realize it's funky
    no matter this rude boy stll got that swagger
    my ears have heard all these crews but we're badder
    interracial, special, positive beings
    I am I be a cool awakwening
    it's getting hectic the metrics the body electric
    everybody in worn out blue jeans or tacky dresses
    this is the city we've reached we've come to
    go unrecognized on the corner or make moves
    all the lights are red all the poets are dead
    a familiar nightmare appears in my head
    times are a changin' myself I'm rearrangin'
    dream eight-thousand-five-twelve all blazin'

Born to act out, paranoid with a gat
    born to act out, think you know where it's at
    born to act out, but you're lookin' like a sissie
    born to act out, guns are for pussies
    born to act out, paranoid with a gat

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm a blunt
    that's just the way I am and no I'm not going to front
    and yes I took a trip to find out about the ways of big citys
    seedy bars and drugs that make you feel s---ty
    pretty older women in skirts, conversation frisky
    stinking cigarettes and plenty of bourbon whisky
    sad classical music on the jukebox of doom
    Hollywood Blvd. barfly frolic room
    tomb of lost souls some beyond salvage
    some just having fun opening the steam valvage
    I was one becoming the other hellbent to discover
    had to pull up the reigns or else smother
    take it brother all the way and then you're scared
    don't want to be unprepared
    you're getting paranoid, and then guns are shared
    you guys think you're hard
    but you're in fear of getting harmed
    I fear no manand I am unarmed

Born to act out, paranoid with a gat
    born to act out, paranoid with a gat
    come on
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    fife wrote:
    "Fortunately, no members were seriously injured," Toronto Police Association president Dave Wilson said in a news release.

He blamed the shooting on the shortfall of police officers. Toronto has 5,100 uniform officers — 145 fewer than last June, Wilson said, due to such things as retirements.
    More police officers would have prevented this lone nut from shooting anyone? That's a bit of a stretch. Particularly considering that ....
    Police statistics for the year so far show that shootings are down by about 16 per cent — 137 this year compared to 164 at the same time last year.

The homicide rate is about the same as last year at this time, police say, although there have been fewer killings involving firearms.

Of the 32 homicides to date, 13 have been due to gunfire, a 36 per cent decrease from last year, when 19 of the 30 homicides were the result of shootings.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    fife wrote:
    what ever happen to the time you used to beat the crap out of people?

Shootings are "newsworthy" ... Bar brawls are not.