Options

My Part to Fight Global Warning

Comments

• Options
    http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

hit that^ and then click Boil! Also click Crash! for other info. <<I think this stuff should be in it's own thread too!
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I love how people enjoy all of the benefits and conveniences provided to us by science, but the second that they don't want to believe something is the truth, scientists don't know what they are talking about.

The vast majority of climatologists, and meteorologists are in consensus that global warming is real, and that it is indeed occurring as a result of human activity. The fact that there are a few crackpot "scientists" that disagree with the rest of the scientific community does not mean that there are valid doubts about global warming.

The earth is at the warmest point it has been in over 2,000 years, and this just happens to coincide with humankinds exponential growth over the past 150 years? Come on people you can bury your heads in the sand all you want but at some point, hopefully sooner than later, the majority will wake up and do something about this problem. I just hope that they do before we have to face serious consequences!

Well said. AND I don't know the stats but since global warming seems to be irrefutable in Europe, I'd imagine the scientists who ARE denying it are American... perhaps receiving government funding? :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I dare say that these crackpot "scientists" that disagree with the rest of the scientific community are on Cheney's payroll. In fact, I'd bet my life on it. And yes, anyone that thinks global warming is a myth is quite dillusional, obviously ignorant, and most likely uneducated.

Ooops sorry, I see it's already said!

Besides, let's pretend for a second that it IS all bullshit... global warming is NOT happening. Ok? Now, what harm can it do to protect the environment anyway? It makes the world a much prettier place doesn't it? I think most people would agree that rivers, lakes and mountains are MUCH prettier than industrial estates? And I think the air is so much nicer to breathe when it doesn't make ya choke... and when it's not yellow. I prefer swimming in the sea when there isn't rubbish floating around in it and when there's no oil on the top of it. So if we can protect the environment and the planet by following something that's a lie... what's wrong with that? OR we can say 'it's a lie, I'm not going to recycle, I'm going to keep using up the few resources we have, I'll throw my rubbish wherever the fuck I want... etc.' I just don't really understand this whole debate to be honest :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    Crazy Mary,

Good for you. Nice to see someone doing what they can for the environment.

I've decided to park the 3 Hummers and just drive the M-1 Tank back and forth to work, the grocery store, the corner to get the mail. I'm also running my hot water continuously to create my own steam room. It's sweet, or sweat. I have all the blinds in my house wide open and the thermostat set to 62 and we all wear sweats around the house. Oh and all the lights are always on, regular light bulbs, none of those compact florescent things.

No, seriously. You and others gave some great ideas. I'm doing what I can to help conserve.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Besides, let's pretend for a second that it IS all bullshit... global warming is NOT happening. Ok? Now, what harm can it do to protect the environment anyway?

A lot of people refute the logic in this argument when it is applied to religion. Such as, what's the harm in being religious - if it's wrong, you've simply lived a better life. If it's right, you're in heaven.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    A lot of people refute the logic in this argument when it is applied to religion. Such as, what's the harm in being religious - if it's wrong, you've simply lived a better life. If it's right, you're in heaven.
    I wouldn't refute that at all... I suppose it depends on what you think religion is though. Some people think it's blind - I see it as more spiritual and personal to the individual. But what faith I follow doesn't effect you - what fuel you decide or want to use sadly effects the entire planet :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    global warming better not be a myth given that I'm spending $80K to learn how to deal with it for my masters degree...
  • Options
    global warming better not be a myth given that I'm spending $80K to learn how to deal with it for my masters degree...

Oh such a fool! How stupid will you feel when your entire college is under water? And that 80k 'down the drain' so to speak? ;)

80k though? :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Oh such a fool! How stupid will you feel when your entire college is under water? And that 80k 'down the drain' so to speak? ;)

80k though? :eek:

well tuition for 2 years is more like $50K, but then I have all the extra loans for living expenses. And this was the cheapest option of programs I got into...
  • Options
    well tuition for 2 years is more like $50K, but then I have all the extra loans for living expenses. And this was the cheapest option of programs I got into...

:eek: Fuck!!!!!!!!!! 50k for two years tuition??? I'm speechless!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :eek: Fuck!!!!!!!!!! 50k for two years tuition??? I'm speechless!

at the london school of economics it was $43K for a 12-month tuition for Americans...you irish are pretty lucky bastards going to school for free, it's not like that here...
  • Options
    at the london school of economics it was $43K for a 12-month tuition for Americans...you irish are pretty lucky bastards going to school for free, it's not like that here...

Yeh, we tend to take it for granted :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    pjrvm wrote:
    Global warming is, at best, not serious enough to worry about. More realistically it's a myth. The average temperature on earth is bound to change over time, it goes up and it goes down. see the ice age. so the fact that it has risen 1.8 degree F in the last 100 years isn't really something to concern yourself with
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

The prevailing scientific opinion on climate change is that "most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities" . The increased amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases (GHGs) are the primary causes of the human-induced component of warming. They are released by the burning of fossil fuels, land clearing and agriculture, etc.
    what is to explain the several ice ages and subsequent warming periods that occurred before human even existed?

lemme guess...halliburton?
    Nope, but in these periods all life dissapeared from the face of the planet, something I'd rather not see happen again. So yes the temparatures have fluctuated over long periods of time, but the present temperature has been the same for a long time, making life, and thus human civilisation possible. The fragile balance of ozone gasses are the reason we have had this period of stabile temparatures, screwing with that balance will only make the changes go faster.
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    Anyone who lives in Houston believes in global warming, believe you me...

What happens if global warming goes amok? a reverse ice age?
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527

maybe this will explain why americans as a whole are doing nothing about it ... it costs too much to actually educate em ... although that doesn't explain why canada is doing fuck all ...
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    polaris wrote:
    maybe this will explain why americans as a whole are doing nothing about it ... it costs too much to actually educate em ... although that doesn't explain why canada is doing fuck all ...
    It actually only costs about $8 to be educated on this, thanks to Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
  • Options
    It actually only costs about $8 to be educated on this, thanks to Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard from my colleagues that that movie isn't all that accurate.
  • Options
    I wouldn't refute that at all... I suppose it depends on what you think religion is though. Some people think it's blind - I see it as more spiritual and personal to the individual. But what faith I follow doesn't effect you - what fuel you decide or want to use sadly effects the entire planet :o

Well, I think anything we do - even private thoughts we have - affect others. Having a religious faith or the lack thereof very well could affect many other people in a profound way.

Think about the faith of the person who may have most directly influenced Billy Graham or Mother Theresa or Ghandi, etc. If the one thing they did was inspire those people, then they influenced the world.

• Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    know1 wrote:
    Well, I think anything we do - even private thoughts we have - affect others. Having a religious faith or the lack thereof very well could affect many other people in a profound way.

Couldn't agree more... "Lack thereof" examples are fairly well-known: Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, among other luminaries.

hey know1:

so be quiet now and rest, Be quiet now and rest, the ocean (triple-tap) is growing...
  • Options
    Laz wrote:
    hey know1:

so be quiet now and rest, Be quiet now and rest, the ocean (double-tap) is growing...

Congrats! Someone figured it out!

• Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    know1 wrote:
    I agree 100%. People have no idea the degree that their private thoughts affect everything around them. Our thoughts fuel our each action. Our thoughts contribute to the collective consciousness and unconsciousness of mankind. Our each thought, word and deed influences our surroundings in a very real way.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I haven't seen it, but I've heard from my colleagues that that movie isn't all that accurate.

Just curious- are your colleagues scientists? Because the reviews I've seen from actual climatology scientists suggest the movie is accurate. There will be some skewing, of course, but the data is presented quite clearly I have read.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    gabers wrote:
    Just curious- are your colleagues scientists? Because the reviews I've seen from actual climatology scientists suggest the movie is accurate. There will be some skewing, of course, but the data is presented quite clearly I have read.
    Exactly. Check this out....I stole it from another user's post in a different thread because it's a perfect response to this post.

"Science Magazine analyzed 928 peer-reviewed scientific papers on global warming published between 1993 and 2003. Not a single one challenged the scientific consensus the earth’s temperature is rising due to human activity."
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../306/5702/1686

Even the Bush EPA, in 2002, concluded that global warming the the last 20 years was “due mostly to human activity.”
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0607/p02s02-usgn.html
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    gabers wrote:
    I would like to hear an answer to this question as well.

Further, science is about stringing facts together into theories. It's up to us to take the facts and add meaning--if we count on science and objectivity to do so, we are going to come up short in understanding the value of the facts. Objectivity strives to keep distant from value and meaning, which comes from the blend with subjectivity. As long as we continue to assess our surrounds in an imbalanced way, we'll continue to come up with a skewed picture, such as the one where individuals remove obvious irresponsible human behaviour from the picture of our environmental woes.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    why is it that germans can be 17.5% below 1990 levels (well beyond kyoto targets) and we can't/won't make a dent?? ... just goes to show it can be done without resorting to the stone age if there is a will ...
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    polaris wrote:
    why is it that germans can be 17.5% below 1990 levels (well beyond kyoto targets) and we can't/won't make a dent?? ... just goes to show it can be done without resorting to the stone age if there is a will ...

Because they don't have any oil field to exploit for the maximum profits, what's ironic is that they could use some of that pollution money to fund Kyoto objectives programs, won't happen, but i'm sure they can, just don't want to... ahhhh it's great... how about some more military spending, while we're at it, we don't have enough soldiers to drive all these new vehicles, fucking sucks...

Une épopée des plus brillants exploits!!!!!!!!!
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    polaris wrote:
    How's their economy doing? Is their population growing? How are these emission changes affecting the German society?

Are there sectors of the economy that produce goods where green house gases are an unfortunate by-product of manufacturing but the end good is used elsewhere? Is their population growing? If not, is it fair to have a system in place that only punishers the producers of a good but not the end user?

There's lots of reasons why Germany's emissions could have fallen that would be impossible to do in Canada or the US.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    How's their economy doing? Is their population growing? How are these emission changes affecting the German society?

Are there sectors of the economy that produce goods where green house gases are an unfortunate by-product of manufacturing but the end good is used elsewhere? Is their population growing? If not, is it fair to have a system in place that only punishers the producers of a good but not the end user?

There's lots of reasons why Germany's emissions could have fallen that would be impossible to do in Canada or the US.

economy is fine ... population is growing ... breakmarysfall might be able to answer better ...

the main reason why their emissions have fallen is because there is a will ... they are not fighting a huge industry/lobby who is only concerned with profits ... germans understand that we are all part of this problem ... money is not everything there ...

the only reason why we've made no progress here is because of greed ... simple as that ... and ignorance ...
  • Options
    Because they don't have any oil field to exploit for the maximum profits, what's ironic is that they could use some of that pollution money to fund Kyoto objectives programs, won't happen, but i'm sure they can, just don't want to... ahhhh it's great... how about some more military spending, while we're at it, we don't have enough soldiers to drive all these new vehicles, fucking sucks...

Une épopée des plus brillants exploits!!!!!!!!!

they could use some of that money ... but they won't ...
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    polaris wrote:
    economy is fine ... population is growing ... breakmarysfall might be able to answer better ...

the main reason why their emissions have fallen is because there is a will ... they are not fighting a huge industry/lobby who is only concerned with profits ... germans understand that we are all part of this problem ... money is not everything there ...

the only reason why we've made no progress here is because of greed ... simple as that ... and ignorance ...
    You have no idea if goods that require greenhouse gas emissions in production have gone up? You have no idea if Germany is really greener, or do they only look greener by relying on other countries to do their dirty work while they still consume. Does Germany even grow enough food to feed themselves? If not, then all greenhouse gas emissions in other countries made in the gowing of food going to Germany should be charged to Germany. But Kyoto doesn't even care about that. Thumbs up to Germany for the illusion of progress so far, but until you know how it's done I'm not lauding and applauding. For all you know they could be like the person who thinks they've saved $100 by not paying the electricity bill.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley