Options

My Part to Fight Global Warning

_Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
In an effort to fight global warming :rolleyes: I am implementing low-energy procedures in the house throughout the day. Here's what I'm doing, any suggestions are helpful! :)

1. Lights off
2. Wash all clothes on cold in my high efficiency washer
3. Dry all clothes on the clothesline
4. Use the dishwasher, I don't wash dishes by hand
5. I have my thermostat set to 77 degrees
6. Tankless water heater
7. Also, I converted all my window to dual pane from single pane and added plenty of insulation in the attic and crawlspace
I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    I hate the feeling of clothes dried on the line
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    lol, I just realized I wrote global warning not warming. hehe
  • Options
    In an effort to fight global warming :rolleyes: I am implementing low-energy procedures in the house throughout the day. Here's what I'm doing, any suggestions are helpful! :)

1. Lights off
    2. Wash all clothes on cold in my high efficiency washer
    3. Dry all clothes on the clothesline
    4. Use the dishwasher, I don't wash dishes by hand
    5. I have my thermostat set to 77 degrees
    6. Tankless water heater
    7. Also, I converted all my window to dual pane from single pane and added plenty of insulation in the attic and crawlspace

i came up with a plan today to start pumping carbon dioxide into one of the colder planets until it starts getting warmer...then we can live on it! for some reason, i don't think its feasible.
  • Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    also fuel for your cars. its more expensive, but definately worth it. if not cars and gas': then walking more.....as simplistic as it sounds----for your heatlh, and the environment's health.
    I need to finish writing.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    good luck with that
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Global warming is, at best, not serious enough to worry about. More realistically it's a myth. The average temperature on earth is bound to change over time, it goes up and it goes down. see the ice age. so the fact that it has risen 1.8 degree F in the last 100 years isn't really something to concern yourself with
  • Options
    pjrvm wrote:
    Global warming is, at best, not serious enough to worry about. More realistically it's a myth. The average temperature on earth is bound to change over time, it goes up and it goes down. see the ice age. so the fact that it has risen 1.8 degree F in the last 100 years isn't really something to concern yourself with

don't forget the fact that there's been several ice ages before humans even existed.

global warming due to human activity is the biggest myth since that idea that flashing your highbeams on the highway will get you killed.
  • Options
    pjrvm wrote:

i dont think you're right. but i certainly hope you are, because it seems pretty obvious we're not gonna do shit about it!
  • Options
    sonicreducersonicreducer Posts: 713
    pjrvm wrote:

but seriously,... how much impact do you think we have had on this planet with so much industrialization in the last 100 years?

can you seriously say that humans have not created an imbalance in the system?

and what if that balance is as delicate as they say it is?

you should do what you can to save energy and cut emissions.
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    kidcollinskidcollins Posts: 47
    You guys are kidding when you say global warming is a "myth". Please tell me you are trying to be funny. You don't think humans are responsible for what is going on with our enviroment and temperatures? The Earth is a living "being" if you will. The shit we do to our rivers, oceans, the air we breathe, the stuff we bury in the ocean, or underground. We are pissing off mother nature in a big way. I'm sure that previous ice ages and what not were in large part the result of some astroid/meteor hitting our planet. You guys need to wake up. We all have to start making changes in how we live and think. I hope you people are raising your kids with your belief system.
  • Options
    kidcollins wrote:
    You guys are kidding when you say global warming is a "myth". Please tell me you are trying to be funny. You don't think humans are responsible for what is going on with our enviroment and temperatures? The Earth is a living "being" if you will. The shit we do to our rivers, oceans, the air we breathe, the stuff we bury in the ocean, or underground. We are pissing off mother nature in a big way. I'm sure that previous ice ages and what not were in large part the result of some astroid/meteor hitting our planet. You guys need to wake up. We all have to start making changes in how we live and think. I hope you people are raising your kids with your belief system.

what is to explain the several ice ages and subsequent warming periods that occurred before human even existed?

lemme guess...halliburton?
  • Options
    Purple Hawk and pjrvm, I think you two are my new best friends! :)
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    don't forget the fact that there's been several ice ages before humans even existed.

global warming due to human activity is the biggest myth since that idea that flashing your highbeams on the highway will get you killed.

yes, lets disregard the majority of the scientific community and just say fuck it...we're not doing any damage, why should I change?

see the rolling hills I'll flatten em out yeah...
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    kidcollins wrote:
    Yep, they're not kidding :( . I honestly never knew global warming was even debatable til I started posting here. It's quite sad. You'd wonder why the rest of us bother when the biggest culprit, America, is being told it's a myth :confused:

FUCKING WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    MariusMarius Posts: 40
    It is as real as PJ. Read up a bit about it then make up your mind again. Yes, it might not be the worst problem now, but think about the generations to come.
  • Options
    Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    Saw an interesting programme on the global warming debate not too long ago. It was pretty scary.

You can watch it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/5005994.stm

Some quotes:

For five or 10 years the public has not been fully informed. We were not taking the initial steps that need to be taken. If we continue down this path we're going to be past a point at which we can avoid really large climate changes.
    Jim Hansen
    US climate scientist

If the report had come out it would have been a very strong piece in the presidential election in the US.
    Bob Corell
    Author of Arctic Assessment Report

If they could suppress it they would. If they couldn't they would ignore it. If they could edit it they would edit it.
    Former government official
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    crazymary!

great start ... the on demand water heater is a good buy ... most of your home energy usage is on heating ... you can also change all your light fixtures to CFL ... insulate your home properly ... other things that would help include:

* trying to buy locally grown food
    * reduce your amount of plastics
    * try and reduce your car usage

good luck!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    god exists but global warming is a myth...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

:D That's America
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    crazymary!

great start ... the on demand water heater is a good buy ... most of your home energy usage is on heating ... you can also change all your light fixtures to CFL ... insulate your home properly ... other things that would help include:

* trying to buy locally grown food
    * reduce your amount of plastics
    * try and reduce your car usage

good luck!

thank you polaris!
    I do buy locally grown food from the farmer's markets when I can, I hadn't thought of that.
    Plastics, hmmm, I can think of a few ways to reduce the amount I buy, but that one might be tough.
    I have reduced usage of my car, but I live 10 miles away from town and with 3 kids we do need to use the car almost everyday. Sometimes on my day off I won't go anywhere which feels pretty nice.

Thanks for the ideas. :)
  • Options
    And protecting the environment seems to be much cheaper too.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I'm eating the cows.... ;)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    I sold my car and bought a stupid transit card and a IPOD, i won't do more, that's enough for me ;)
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    10 dead from flooding in america northeast ... the wealthiest country in the world suffers fatalities ... now, imagine the lives of those people in asia and latin america where flooding has been happening more regularly ...

i know many of you think this is a bit shameless to try and push an agenda using deaths but this is what has been talked about for years ... its not about wait and see anymore - its about taking action ...
  • Options
    cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I love how people enjoy all of the benefits and conveniences provided to us by science, but the second that they don't want to believe something is the truth, scientists don't know what they are talking about.

The vast majority of climatologists, and meteorologists are in consensus that global warming is real, and that it is indeed occurring as a result of human activity. The fact that there are a few crackpot "scientists" that disagree with the rest of the scientific community does not mean that there are valid doubts about global warming.

The earth is at the warmest point it has been in over 2,000 years, and this just happens to coincide with humankinds exponential growth over the past 150 years? Come on people you can bury your heads in the sand all you want but at some point, hopefully sooner than later, the majority will wake up and do something about this problem. I just hope that they do before we have to face serious consequences!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    inmytree wrote:

Santa also spells Satan. SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahaha!!!! :D
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Anyone who doesn't think we're negatively affecting the atmosphere is quite simply a uneducated delusional fucktard.
  • Options
    Anyone who doesn't think we're negatively affecting the atmosphere is quite simply a uneducated delusional fucktard.

lol I love the phrase you use here "a uneducated..."
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    The vast majority of climatologists, and meteorologists are in consensus that global warming is real, and that it is indeed occurring as a result of human activity. The fact that there are a few crackpot "scientists" that disagree with the rest of the scientific community does not mean that there are valid doubts about global warming.
    I dare say that these crackpot "scientists" that disagree with the rest of the scientific community are on Cheney's payroll. In fact, I'd bet my life on it. And yes, anyone that thinks global warming is a myth is quite dillusional, obviously ignorant, and most likely uneducated.