Options

Taxing Drivers by the Mile

barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/14/eveningnews/main674120.shtml

(CBS) College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and fellow researcher David Porter at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
but the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
~Albert Einstein
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    GPS and taxes...

OH HELL NO!!!
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I know that idea has been floating around in New Jersey. I'm not really sure I feel comfortable having my car's every move tracked by GPS.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    The numbers don't make sense.

First of all, he got rid of a used car and bought a hybrid to save in gas money. Although he did have a BMW, which might bring the numbers closer together, it's hard to believe a new vehicle like that would justify his gas savings - especially since it is implied that his payment was already pretty high.

Also with regard to gas mileage I see it like this:

BMW:
    $500 per gas a month = 166 gallons at $3/gallon.
    2000 miles divided by 166 gallons yields 12 MPG with his old car. He was REALLY getting mileage that poor?

Hybrid:
    $200 per gas a month = 66 gallons at $3/gallon
    2000 miles divided by 66 gallons yields 30 MPG with the hybrid. While that's a big improvement over that BMW (was there a whole in the tank of that thing?), it certainly not much better than you can do in a non-hybrid car.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    Since I know that decreased spending in the face of decreasing tax revenue is completely beyond the realm of any politician to consider, why not just raise the gas tax instead of this convoluted (and probably more expensive to maintain) system of GPS tracking?
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    mammasan wrote:
    I know that idea has been floating around in New Jersey. I'm not really sure I feel comfortable having my car's every move tracked by GPS.

I don't feel comfortable about that at all...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I'm completely cool with this concept as long as the tax collected is directly related to road construction. Meaning that the money does not go into any other service and that no other taxes go towards the roads.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    1970RR wrote:
    Since I know that decreased spending in the face of decreasing tax revenue is completely beyond the realm of any politician to consider, why not just raise the gas tax instead of this convoluted (and probably more expensive to maintain) system of GPS tracking?

Because somewhere someone is going to make shit loads of money off of a system like this and that someone probably has strong ties to some politician.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:

A GPS tracking system would be quite inexpensive to maintain, though I'm sure the government would spend about 100 times what it actually should cost.
  • Options
    Vehicles differ in their effect on road wear and tear. I don't have a source handy, but I once read that the wear and tear from a loaded truck is about 1800x the wear and tear from a car.
  • Options
    MeatwagonMeatwagon Posts: 108
    Screw them all. Give us dirt roads and motorcycles and let the fun begin!!!!!
    Axis of justice.com
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    If they want to collect more, why not just have more toll roads? (As a frequenter of I95, and I90, I can't believe I just said that....)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    JaneNY wrote:
    If they want to collect more, why not just have more toll roads? (As a frequenter of I95, and I90, I can't believe I just said that....)

i was thinking the same thing. i mean, i hate the idea of paying a toll on a road, but the tolls on I95 aren't really that bad.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    moeaholic wrote:
    i was thinking the same thing. i mean, i hate the idea of paying a toll on a road, but the tolls on I95 aren't really that bad.

I don't know how you guys pay you're tolls, but in australia, victoria especially, it's all done automatically. You have an e-tag which you keep in your car, and every time it goes past particular points along the road you get tolled. you pay at the end of the month.

and if you use the road less frequently, you can pay a one off toll at most servos and not worry about the tag.
    waiting for the great leap forward

12 people may make the one decision but that doesn't make it right.

Free Rob Farquharson, wrongfully imprisoned!!

www.factbeforetheory.net
  • Options
    jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    No to GPS trackers in every car that the government can keep track of, look at what they've done with our other personal information. It would only be a small matter of time before they lose it or it's stolen or they sell it to big-business so they can sell us something we don't need.

And no to paying an extra tax at the gas pump based on our driving. I can see that getting out of hand and having to fork over $300 with our $20 gas bill. No thank you.

I'd be okay with tolls and IPass (automated toll billing) at least there I know when I'm being charged and how much.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    moeaholic wrote:

yeah its not that much, more the annoyance of having to slow down and throw change into baskets frequently. (I live upstate so I don't do EZ-Pass, though I've considered it)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I like the idea of taxing the drivers but agree that the whole GPS aspect isn't a good idea. The solution is tolls and lots of them.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I fail to see why states are bankrupt and roads couldn't be maintained. I seriously doubt there isn't enough money, it just isn't being spent properly.

Everytime another election comes around suddenly all the roads get paved.

running effecient dependable and on time public transportation where the public could or would use it might be a good idea. Making the fair easy to pay would be a good idea.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.