White Supremacist groups on the rise in U.S.

SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
edited February 2007 in A Moving Train
Just read "Four Spirits", a book about the civil rights movement, and it is so sickening to see the level of hatred white supremacists had towards African-Americans. It's nauseating to see that this sort of activity is on the rise again and people are joining these hate groups in significant numbers these past few years.

Report: Supremacist activity flourishes
Factions fueled by anti-immigrant passions grow by 33 percent, study says

NEW YORK - Huge street protests made millions of immigrants more visible and powerful last year, but they also seem to have revived a hateful counter force: white supremacists.
Groups linked to the Ku Klux Klan, skinheads and neo-Nazis grew significantly more active, holding more rallies, distributing leaflets and increasing their presence on the Internet — much of it focused on stirring anti-immigrant sentiment, a new report released by the Anti-Defamation League says.
“Extremist groups are good at seizing on whatever the hot button is of the day and twisting the message to get new members,” Deborah M. Lauter, ADL civil rights director, said Monday. “This one seems to be taking hold with more of mainstream America than we’d like to see.”
Old Klan chapters have been revived and new ones started throughout the South, historically the heart of the group, and in other places such as Michigan, Iowa and New Jersey, says the report, which was scheduled for official release Tuesday.
Last May in Alabama, an anti-immigration rally included slogans such as, “Let’s get rid of the Mexicans!” according to the document, titled “Ku Klux Klan Rebounds.”
“The Klan is increasingly cooperating with other extremist groups and Neo-Nazi groups,” Lauter said. “That’s a new phenomenon.”
Klan resurgent
Between 2000 and 2005, hate groups mushroomed 33 percent and Klan chapters by 63 percent, according to Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate crimes.
Precise data are difficult to pin down, but Potok’s group counts as many as 150 Klan chapters with up to 8,000 members nationwide. More than 800 hate groups exist around the country, Southern Poverty research shows.
In the late 1990s, memberships in such groups was crumbling as they lost leaders and struggled to organize, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. Many hit bottom around 2000.
“Whenever you think the Klan is down and out, they find another way to reinvent themselves,” he said of the recent resurgence.
Historically, the Klan’s focus had been to terrorize African-Americans — through race riots, lynchings and other killings — but it reached peak membership at more than 4 million in the 1920s by focusing on immigration.
Irish then, Mexicans now
Newcomers from Ireland and Germany were portrayed as Catholic usurpers invading the United States, taking jobs from native-born Americans and undermining national fabric, Levin said.
Said Potok: “It’s remarkable to look back at the nativist sentiments toward Catholics — it’s very similar to what we’re seeing with Mexicans now.”
Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance. With many Americans already divided on how to revamp laws and practices to address the nation’s swelling immigrant communities, immigration “is an issue that works for hate groups,” Potok said.
Many Latinos are feeling the effects firsthand. Last September, a Kentucky family originally from El Salvador found a wooden cross burning on their front lawn just weeks after they moved in. Earlier last year, a Latino teenager in Houston was brutally beaten and sodomized while one attacker screamed “White Power!” The victim barely survived, and one attacker was sentenced to life in prison.
‘The level of vitriol is new’
“I’ve been doing (Hispanic advocacy work) for a long, long time and the atmosphere has never been as poisonous as it has been in the last few years,” said Lisa Navarrete, a vice president at the National Council of La Raza. “The level of vitriol is new.”
Increasingly, fear permeates many Hispanic communities as individuals and businesses are targeted. Last year, La Raza held a workshop at its annual convention titled “Keeping Our Institutions Safe.”
“It was very well attended,” Navarrete said. “Unfortunately.”
"Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    And people wondering why the Manning family is becoming more and more popular....hmmm.
  • We don't have anything to worry about. The groups mentioned above appeal to uneducated rednecks.

Keep your eye on these guys though. I got a feeling we'll hear a lot more of them in the future.

A lot of people think Dr. William Pierce was definately someone to look up to and has certainly helped fuel this movement. Wach the video near the bottom of the main page, very interesting.

http://www.natall.com/
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • "Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance."

Um, with the exception of unemployment, those are true. The illegal immigrant population is full of crime and lack of education.

The article tries to make out like the racists are wrong in believing that. The only difference is, their methods for action are wrong.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    "Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance."

Um, with the exception of unemployment, those are true. The illegal immigrant population is full of crime and lack of education.

The article tries to make out like the racists are wrong in believing that. The only difference is, their methods for action are wrong.

maybe you should sign up barroom? or have you already started the williamsburg chapter?
  • maybe you should sign up barroom? or have you already started the williamsburg chapter?

I'm not sure about Williamsburg but I'm fairly certain there's been a sustaining chapter in the U.S. Senate for years.
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    "Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance."

Good eye. I agree.

Desperation in the racist form, in any political form, adopts popular cultural themes (sometimes true, sometimes not) to further an agenda.

The writer seems to have had a political agenda of his own in making such a characterization.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    "Huge street protests made millions of immigrants more visible and powerful last year, but they also seem to have revived a hateful counter force: white supremacists."

I wish I would have listened to my conscience and not read beyond this loaded line. The truth of the matter is that there were a fuck of a lot more than 8000 ILLEGAL immigrants out of those "millions" who preach the rise of La Raza. They weren't out there waiving American flags, they were out there waving Mexican flags, showing complete and utter disrespect to an entire ethnicity, specifically Americans. And yet the supremacists are "hateful"....all 8000 of them...out of the 250,000,000 of us that live here. Give me a fucking break. What an absolute joke of an article.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Ebizzie wrote:
    "Huge street protests made millions of immigrants more visible and powerful last year, but they also seem to have revived a hateful counter force: white supremacists."

I wish I would have listened to my conscience and not read beyond this loaded line. The truth of the matter is that there were a fuck of a lot more than 8000 ILLEGAL immigrants out of those "millions" who preach the rise of La Raza. They weren't out there waiving American flags, they were out there waving Mexican flags, showing complete and utter disrespect to an entire ethnicity, specifically Americans. And yet the supremacists are "hateful"....all 8000 of them...out of the 250,000,000 of us that live here. Give me a fucking break. What an absolute joke of an article.

And yet the supremacist's are "hateful".........??? How can you even say that and put the word hateful in quotes? Did you actually read after that line to the part of the story about the Espinoza family who had a cross burned on their lawn?? They are here LEGALLY. And the boy who was brutally beaten up and sodomized while the white boys who were doing it yelled "white power"? He was here LEGALLY. That is what hate is and what organizations like the Klu Klux Klan do. They blindly stereotype people even though they've done nothing wrong, all based on the color of their skin.

I am in full agreement that people who immigrate to America should go through the process like everyone else. But it is NEVER, ever ok to join a hate group because you aren't happy with the current system, which is what this article was trying to point out. And if you really "listened to your conscience" you wouldn't have put the word hateful in quotes.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    Racism is the new abortion.
  • onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    i've been posting this information for quite a while now. i can tell you that white supremacists sit outside of housing projects and shoot minorities for target practice. no one listens so ignore the problem like everyone else. ignore the swasticka tattoos seen on so many young people today and especially ignore what these people are teaching their children.
  • I was afraid this uprising would start after all the rallies pro-immigration and illegal immigrant rights. Hell, American born non-whites with affiliations to this country going back generations are hated by these motherfuckers, so a bunch of new immigrants and illegal immigrants holding boycotts and rallies and parades are not going unnoticed by the evil racist fuckers.

I can't believe this is 2007 and this negative attitude, hate and shit is still going on!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130

My mouth is, literally, agape.

utterly speechless.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
    whitepants wrote:
    I was afraid this uprising would start after all the rallies pro-immigration and illegal immigrant rights. Hell, American born non-whites with affiliations to this country going back generations are hated by these motherfuckers, so a bunch of new immigrants and illegal immigrants holding boycotts and rallies and parades are not going unnoticed by the evil racist fuckers.

I can't believe this is 2007 and this negative attitude, hate and shit is still going on!

good point. they don't know who's legal so they strike out at all minorities. but don't think it's only immigrants. affirmative action basically legalizes and promotes discrimination of whites. whites are striking out as the blacks did in the 50's and 60's. it seems we've come full circle.
  • cornnifer wrote:
    My mouth is, literally, agape.

utterly speechless.

Illegals are allowed to participate in our public school system at all levels. Most are unable to speak English. That alone severely strains the educational system in this country. That shouldn't shock anyone.

There are over 10,000 illegals behind bars in Texas alone. To put it into perspective, there are roughly 9,700 border patrol employees total.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    "Last May in Alabama, an anti-immigration rally included slogans such as, “Let’s get rid of the Mexicans!” according to the document, titled “Ku Klux Klan Rebounds.” "

I live in Alabama and this is the first I've heard of this. Granted I live in a suburb of a city and not out with all the meth head trailer trash. So it could be...but it's not prevalent here and not something we see.
    Illegals are allowed to participate in our public school system at all levels. Most are unable to speak English. That alone severely strains the educational system in this country. That shouldn't shock anyone.

There are over 10,000 illegals behind bars in Texas alone. To put it into perspective, there are roughly 9,700 border patrol employees total.

This does not even mention the fact that by being ILLEGAL immigrants, they are already on the wrong side of the law by definition.
  • zstillings wrote:
    This does not even mention the fact that by being ILLEGAL immigrants, they are already on the wrong side of the law by definition.

Right on... Right on...

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130

So Mexicans ARE to be blamed for the high crime rate in the United States.
    Well, i'm convinced.

*wanders off to buy combat boots and get swastika tattoo.*

Holy fuckin' SHEESH!
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • cornnifer wrote:
    So Mexicans ARE to be blamed for the high crime rate in the United States.
    Well, i'm convinced.

*wanders off to buy combat boots and get swastika tattoo.*

Holy fuckin' SHEESH!

Ohhh... Is that what I said? Could you paste it back to me please? Hopefully I can correct myself.

You didn't even read the post did you?

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • "Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance."

Wow!!! When advancing such thoughts, you should bring some facts and proofs... and maybe bring the stats about americans (non hispanic) crime proportion and education level compare to the hispanic population crime proportion and education level, then you'd have to take into account social situation and many other thing before being able to say such things... anyway...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Wow!!! When advancing such thoughts, you should bring some facts and proofs... and maybe bring the stats about americans (non hispanic) crime proportion and education level compare to the hispanic population crime proportion and education level, then you'd have to take into account social situation and many other thing before being able to say such things... anyway...

Not all hispanics are illegal immigrants.
  • zstillings wrote:
    Not all hispanics are illegal immigrants.

the post i quote does refer to hispanic immigrants, not only illegal immigrants.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

the post i quote does refer to hispanic immigrants, not only illegal immigrants.

Above is the part of the quote that was actually CorporateWhore's. He specifically says illegal. The original article seemed to not really care about the actual difference much like the dumbasses they are writing about.

i can see where having to teach two different classes; one in english and one in spanish; can cripple the school system. we don't have enough schools now and having to almost double the number of schools to accomidate non-english speaking people can and does effect our schools.
    but let's take a minute here. the board consists of people from all corners of the world. i've noticed some from eastern europe lately. the common denominator here is we all speak or at least understand english. in the small country of figi english is taught in the second grade. when you travel in mexico; those in the tourist industry speak english.
    so why is it mexican americans seem to be the only people that don't speak english?
  • i can see where having to teach two different classes; one in english and one in spanish; can cripple the school system. we don't have enough schools now and having to almost double the number of schools to accomidate non-english speaking people can and does effect our schools.
    but let's take a minute here. the board consists of people from all corners of the world. i've noticed some from eastern europe lately. the common denominator here is we all speak or at least understand english. in the small country of figi english is taught in the second grade. when you travel in mexico; those in the tourist industry speak english.
    so why is it mexican americans seem to be the only people that don't speak english?

What language people speak and where they speak it doesn't matter to me. This is America. It's my country. If you're Mexican and you wish to be a part of our society, tax system and anything else this country has to offer you through the grace of the American taxpayer, you need to learn how to communicate with us. Holding your hand out and hiding behind the Constitution every time someone says "No" is an utter crime. If other nations around the world do not wish to hold immigrants (illegals not withstanding) to the same standards, that's their choice. But other citizens, from other nations, have no business whining and complaining about Americans wanting those who wish to immigrate here, to actually make an effort to be a working piece of our society. If immigrants come here already capable of speaking English then more power to them. A welcome power I might add. But understand, there are many places in this country who are willing to hand out my tax money to people who aren't even interested in being American (and in many cases aren't).

This was a little longwinded. So yell if you need any help translating. :)

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
    What language people speak and where they speak it doesn't matter to me. This is America. It's my country. If you're Mexican and you wish to be a part of our society, tax system and anything else this country has to offer you through the grace of the American taxpayer, you need to learn how to communicate with us. Holding your hand out and hiding behind the Constitution every time someone says "No" is an utter crime. If other nations around the world do not wish to hold immigrants (illegals not withstanding) to the same standards, that's their choice. But other citizens, from other nations, have no business whining and complaining about Americans wanting those who wish to immigrate here, to actually make an effort to be a working piece of our society. If immigrants come here already capable of speaking English then more power to them. A welcome power I might add. But understand, there are many places in this country who are willing to hand out my tax money to people who aren't even interested in being American (and in many cases aren't).

i was agreeing with you. when my family immigrated from poland we didn't expect americans to learn polish. we learned the language of the country. that was my whole point. most countries teach english as a second language. why do mexicans expect other countries to speak spanish just for them? the international language for air traffic control is english. what is their problem?
  • i was agreeing with you.

haha Yeah. Sometimes I read between the lines. And others I don't read at all.
    why do mexicans expect other countries to speak spanish just for them? the international language for air traffic control is english. what is their problem?

Sadly, it seems the establishment is the entity always pushing the common citizen to learn a 2nd language. As if we must accept the hordes that cross our border each day as just a part of life we must adapt to. Not very superpowerish if you ask me.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • to whoever took offence to the Al Jazeera article i posted,attacking me and calling me a skinhead(ludicrous) because of it's anti-Zionist views,read these.Jews are the biggest most out-spoken opposition to Zionism.i guess you'd know that if your were really informed enough on the issue...but i digress.
    and to make things clear,i'm for love not hate.

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/

http://www.nkusa.org/

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/jews_against_zionism.html

Israel is a lot like America,it has good citizens and a corrupt leadership.

http://www.barrychamish.com/
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain

"I would rather die on my feet than to live on my knees."
    Emiliano Zapata
  • You were shut down by the mods for your offensive insinuations and remarks I would guess. If someone nudged them to do so then bravo. You'll have to troll your anti-semitism somewhere else I guess....
  • You were shut down by the mods for your offensive insinuations and remarks I would guess. If someone nudged them to do so then bravo. You'll have to troll your anti-jew rhetoric somewhere else I guess....: (