Options

Conservative Christians Watch Out: A Big Churchgoing Group Is Seeking Political Power

2»

Comments

• Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222

.. you're twisting the words to say what you want them too there.

just like you're doing ;)
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    i truly dont get the christian obsession with sex. what is the deal there?

id agree jesus would probably be big on fidelity, but im not so sure he'd be as anti-sex as the conservative movement seems to be (dont tell teens about it, dont let them ever see a condom, etc etc). i also think he might be a bit disgusted by some of what passes for entertainment, but i rather doubt he'd support censorship. ive got to agree with abortion though, i cant see jesus being a big supporter of it, though i also dont think he'd be in favor of banning it, more making it unecessary.

making it unnecessary.. absolutely! which is exactly what we should be striving for.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    just like you're doing ;)
    not really.. does it say what he's trying to make it say?

No it doesn't.. that's my point.

I'm not saying Jesus said it's alright, but he doesn't say it's not.

Besides, that issue probably wasn't even around then... the Republicans turned it into one when they needed a political stunt to rally the sheep behind in 2004... ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    hailhailkc wrote:
    Right...because the only people in this country who have ever been power hungry, profiteering, or used war to line their pockets have been conservatives. A true Chirstian faith is based upon spreading the gospel of Jesus in order to lead others to Christ. That's the biggest message that Jesus asked of us. It's not about left vs. right. There are many aspects of both ideologies that Jesus embraced. Unfortunately, you seem to be unable to comprehend that conservatives also want a clean environment, a solution to poverty, that we ARE accepting of homosexuals (yes, even in the church), and many other things. Instead of listening to us, you simply re-state our words in such a way that they fit your preconceived notion of what a conservative suppossedly is.

i recognize this. what i dont understand and never will, is why these christians will toss war, environment, and poverty out the window to take a backseat to something like... evolution being taught in schools or gay marriage. i mean, in the grand scheme of things, these seem like the kinds of things that are small fish.
  • Options
    i recognize this. what i dont understand and never will, is why these christians will toss war, environment, and poverty out the window to take a backseat to something like... evolution being taught in schools or gay marriage. i mean, in the grand scheme of things, these seem like the kinds of things that are small fish.
    Well maybe it can be thought of like this..

The Bush administration has represented the right wing christian movement's power. They started a war that right or wrong, they're certainly handling extremely poorly... So why not make evolution or gay marriage an issue to distract it's followers?

Old people vote.. old christians seem to get distracted by things like that, especially when Bush uses the term "moral values" to describe it.

It's taking advantage of people's beliefs. I don't think politicians give a damn about whether 2 men can get married, but if it will win them votes they'll back it.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Abuskedti wrote:
    making it unnecessary.. absolutely! which is exactly what we should be striving for.

:eek:
    sacrelidge!
    *covers ears*

damn, makes me think of the whole buddhist discussion yesterday....life is suffering, desire leads to suffering, etc. damnnit, me and my desires. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    :eek:
    sacrelidge!
    *covers ears*

damn, makes me think of the whole buddhist discussion yesterday....life is suffering, desire leads to suffering, etc. damnnit, me and my desires. :p
    nothing is everything ;)

"Make our day"
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    nothing is everything ;)

i know, i know...........oooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
    i'm tryin'. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222

Besides, that issue probably wasn't even around then... the Republicans turned it into one when they needed a political stunt to rally the sheep behind in 2004... ;)

that's true he doesn't say it's not alright in that passage. It has always been an issue, it just was never on the ballots like it is now... i figured you say the sheep comment, just like all the good little liberal sheep do :) ok that was mean.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    that's true he doesn't say it's not alright in that passage. It has always been an issue, it just was never on the ballots like it is now... i figured you say the sheep comment, just like all the good little liberal sheep do :) ok that was mean.
    i dunno.. a group of people who blindly follow a book and call themselves "sheep" don't seem to me to be the sharpest tools in the shed... to allow themselves to be dooped by such a backhanded political manuever(not christians, but that certain group you see shouting "i love you" to Bush in those town hall meetings.. usually over 65 years old :rolleyes: )

And if anything, conservatives are sheep, cuz liberals have a much higher tendancy to question our "shepards" :p

As in, I hate the Democrats.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580

PJ Toast, I never said what I was thinking about the issue of civil marriage, gays, or abortion....I just pointed out the articles states that Jesus never said anything about "blank" and then posted evidence that this is not true.

So you are trying to discredit my post by saying my opinion was involved, when it wasn't.

If I was a sheep that didn't question the shephards (by your definition), I would not have done the research.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010