Options

Democratic web video causes uproar among Republican leaders

SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
I find it interesting that the republicans are in an uproar about the democrats using images from Iraq for political purposes, when Bush and Cheney used images from 9/11 to promote a war against Iraq that had absolutely nothing to do with the terrorists who attacked us in the first place. I haven't heard an apology from them yet...

Web video causes uproar
From Mike Viqueira, Huma Zaidi and Mark Murray

http://www.dccc.org/multimedia/archives/new_directions/

A new Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) web video is causing an uproar on Capitol Hill today. Democrats and Republicans are accusing one another of exploiting the Iraq war for political gain. The video, released via email to their supporters today, includes images of flag-draped military coffins and mourning troops that appear under the heading, "Things have taken a turn for the worse."

House Majority Leader John Boehner said the video is outrageous. "It's disgraceful that they would use these images... To use these images to rally Democrats and to raise money I think is appalling," he said. He thinks the ad should be pulled and that Rep. Rahm Emanuel, chair of the DCCC, should apologize.

But Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi shot back minutes later. "Republicans have long been in denial about the consequences of their actions in Iraq... I don't know why they are making it an issue, except that it speaks truth to power," she said before pointing out that White House advisor Karl Rove has stated before that the war will be used as a political issue this fall. "If it weren't so tragic it would be almost funny," she said of the eruption from Republicans over the ad.

The DCCC just released a list of instances when Republicans have politicized Iraq and 9/11 -- from Karl Rove's declaration earlier this year that Republicans would use Iraq and the war on terror as a campaign issue for the midterms, to the Bush-Cheney campaign TV ad in 2004 showing a "flag-draped" body from the September 11th terrorist attack. Two examples Pelosi noted as well.

But Boehner said that the Bush ad and this latest DCCC video are not comparable. "The differences, in terms of the images, are as clear as night and day," he said. House Republicans are planning a presser later today to protest the ad.
"Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Oh yeah that will definitely piss off a lot of Republicans. I don't think it is in poor taste. I think the last six years have been in poor taste. This was real.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    And if the republicans were airing that video trying to get out dems, the dems of course would be in a huge fucking uproar. Wake up ppl!!
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    the dems should give a big thank you to the republicans speaking out about it. No one would ever have seen this ad if there wasn't a big deal about it, but now it has gotten publicity and airplay on all of the networks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I thought it was boring.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    the dems should give a big thank you to the republicans speaking out about it. No one would ever have seen this ad if there wasn't a big deal about it, but now it has gotten publicity and airplay on all of the networks.

Agreed.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V