Options

Irving Plaza vs The Vic Theater

camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Irving Plaza VS The Vic Theater

I know the Vic was more recent, but it seems that there as been an infinite amount more discussion about the Vic show 2007-08-02 compared to the Irving plaza show from 2006-05-05. I know Irving lacked a poster, but come on....

People want Vic DVDs and Vic Vinyls.... is it just a Chicago VS New York thing or am I missing something here. Irving fuckin RULED

I went to the Irving show and it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Being there in the front almost made up for all the shows I missed out on during pearl jam's career.

please discuss
i like sound...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i can only speak for the vic show, but it was INCREDIBLE!

i know that alot of fans that have been to dozens of shows and had an opportunity to sit front row alot thought the setlist wasnt that great and blah blah blah... but for me it was the most incredible experience ever... my eyes literally teared up at one point out of sheer joy... it was the culmination of years of being a fan... i caught matt's wristband at the end of the show!... i got a mccready pick!... they opened with all or none!... i was so close to the band!... the energy was phenomenal!...

i think it probably combined with the energy of the weekend as a whole too... people were pumped about lolla... you could tell the band was excited to be playing again to a crowd of all true fans and even more excited at the opportunity to play to so many at lolla.... the venue was incredible for a PJ show... soooo much fun

i think the poster for the show sucked so that doesnt impact my opinion at all... it was just easily the best experience ill ever have a PJ show... (front row at lolla was good too, but i almost died of dehydration getting that)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    1 word...setlist. Vic's was phenominal.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 385
    bad setlist????

In hiding
    sad
    sonic reducer
    Hard to imagine
    Rats
    Low Light

it was their rarest show ever (based on the songs they played), and in hidng was fucking incredible.

eddie opening for the band was pretty sweet, ben harper came on stage, BLACK DIAMOND WITH MATT SINGING.

i'm sure irving plaza was an awesome time, as would any show in a venue that small, but based on setlists and sound from bootlegs, The Vic is the winner. yes there is biased but i still think it was more epic show than Irving.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    Detroit2NYCDetroit2NYC New York, NY Posts: 337
    I was at both shows and both were amazing. I think maybe the reason Vic gets more buzz is because of the rare setlist.

Also, it seemed that Eddie was really into playing in Chicago. Not that he wasn't excited for IP, but there was a different twinkle in his eye.

That being said, I think anyone should be lucky to have been to either show. They were both special treats for us all!
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Vic :)
  • Options
    not to insult a show you attended (because it still looks fantastic) but how come this is being compared to the vic? was this an all fanclub show too or something? and though it looks like a great set, it can't touch the vic. i wasn't at either, but if i had to choose to attend one of them, without even a second of thought i'd say the vic. both look fantastic though.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    goodrocgoodroc Posts: 118
    i was lucky enough to be at both --- not even close

Vic hands down!!
  • Options
    goodroc wrote:

Vic hands down!!

I too was at both and I think they were both great for different reasons. I don't think I could definitively choose one over the other
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    goodroc wrote:

Vic hands down!!

I was also at both and still get goosebumps listening to the Vic show. Irving Plaza was really cool, but not as cool as the Vic.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    I am a rare song freak, I don't think many shows if any can compare to the concentration and scarcity of the songs played at the VIC. I was not at IP, but hearing it, the Vic just seems to have far more energy.

The venue and small amount of rabid fans made the Vic a once in a lifetime show. I was probably the 100th in the venue, got a poster first and still got into the front row/second row(kind of a little of both) right in front of Mike.
    Other than way too many flashes and fuckers holding camera phones up in the way of everybodys view, that show was just about as perfect as it can get for me.

I vote for the VIC
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,852
    Gotta disagree with everyone. I was at both. Irving was better. Sure the vic had the setlist, that's what everyone raves about. But Irving had the energy, they were ready to start off a tour and raring to go with their best album since yield, the new engine of PJ! The crowd interaction was 100X more at Irving, Stone threw out pics there, he hardly looked at the crowd at the vic. Eddie gave us the option of betterman vs solat, and even came in the crowd during porch. Sure Irving didn't get a pre set but the show was phenomal. Plus I love seeing PJ rock out Animal and Life Wasted and WWS, I missed Animal so much after the vic and lolla.

But that's just me and I could be wrong (but I'm not). Irving was just hands down a better live show, everyone just goes crazy over the setlist, look at Benny and Boston.

And the topper, people in NY actually know what a rocking General Admission show is all about, people at the vic actually tried to leave and come back to threir spots on the floor like they owned them, or save spots for people getting posters.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    And the winner is......

9/24/04 Showbox
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Totally Irving Plaza!!!

That version of Garden is absolutely priceless!
    I can't believe I almost forgot about GARDEN, it was AMAZING!! Man I gotta listen to this show again.

• Options
    not to insult a show you attended (because it still looks fantastic) but how come this is being compared to the vic?

i compare them because i think the venues have about the same capacity (very small)... compared to the huge stadium/arena shows. I'm too lazy to check right now how many each hold.

but i guess i just have such a high regard for that irving show but it didn't really get much attention here. no poster, no boot, no crazy rarities besides having the first live 'come back' which was sweet.

wish i was at vic too, but i have to let the rest of you jammers attend some of the good shows...
    i like sound...
  • Options
    irving by far.
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    irving
    this guy has no idea....
    i like sound...
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    well I just listened to tracks from both, and the Vic got my blood sausage bloated so I say again the Vic.

is there really a way to answer this? Lets say they both totally kicked ass
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    a5pj wrote:
    Gotta disagree with everyone. I was at both. Irving was better. Sure the vic had the setlist, that's what everyone raves about. But Irving had the energy, they were ready to start off a tour and raring to go with their best album since yield, the new engine of PJ! The crowd interaction was 100X more at Irving, Stone threw out pics there, he hardly looked at the crowd at the vic. Eddie gave us the option of betterman vs solat, and even came in the crowd during porch. Sure Irving didn't get a pre set but the show was phenomal. Plus I love seeing PJ rock out Animal and Life Wasted and WWS, I missed Animal so much after the vic and lolla.

But that's just me and I could be wrong (but I'm not). Irving was just hands down a better live show, everyone just goes crazy over the setlist, look at Benny and Boston.

And the topper, people in NY actually know what a rocking General Admission show is all about, people at the vic actually tried to leave and come back to threir spots on the floor like they owned them, or save spots for people getting posters.

Agreed with everything above! To add to it, any show where the crowd sings louder than Ed for the whole fucking song (WWS) shortly after the album is released you know you're in for a special night! Granted I wasn't at the Vic, but taking everything in and listening to the boots I have to stick with IP!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    I was at neither but heard both shows on cd. i thought the sound for irving was a little shaky but the sound plus the rare songs at the vic made that a better show, but a pearl jam show is a pearl jam show, so i'm sure both were awesome in their own way.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    When I was a kid...I went to a concert at the Vic. I didnt have my drivers license yet and had to wait for someone to pick me up. Since I was the the last patron waiting.....I sat there and talked to the new owners for about an hour. The reason they bought it was for the "historic" sentimental value and the capacity to create great sound.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Even though this is a "to each their own" thread, I'm giving my thumbs up to The Vic.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,217
    I was at both and I think the crowd was ALOT better at Irving. Sure the VIC was 10 club, but Irving was filled with people who slept on the street for a day just to get tix. I think the VIC setlist blew away the Irving but the Irving shpw was basically a release party for avacado, the Vic was a warmup show for Lolla.

In the end if I had to choose, I would have to choose the VIC because you will never see a PJ setlist look like that again.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I wasn't at IP so can't talk about it really.

but if you want to compare the Astoria and the Vic...
    Astoria by a mile..it fucking ROCKED!

:D
  • Options
    Vic!
  • Options
    why compare?
    every show is it's *own* ya know?

i was only at irving plaza so cannot make any comparisons. all i can say is, i was soooooooo happy and thankful to be there, NEVER thought i'd get to see pearl jam in such an intimate venue, was AMAZING!

special shows all the way around, no doubt. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Sure the VIC was 10 club, but Irving was filled with people who slept on the street for a day just to get tix.

Another reason I forgot to mention, there were no fans at Irving that thought they deserved a spot like at the vic, it was all hard core fans who waited on the street for 23 hours to get in.

• Options
    Dude... I was at Irving Plaza... I love that fuckin show...

check out my you tube video about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQC6ekB-1c
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • Options
    bump
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • Options
    I wasn't at the Vic..

but Irving was, and probably will always be, the greatest show i've ever been to.

Coming off the high that was the Borgata shows a few months earlier, I couldn't even fathom the thought of PJ in an even smaller venue.. and for free. It was just a matter of how bad you wanted it.

Basically.. lets put 1,000 of the most hardcore PJ fans who would wait on a street for 2 days in a tiny room WITH PJ.. and see the results.

That night I actually was happy that someone spilled whiskey all over me. It was so hot in that room that the whiskey felt awesome.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    I was working the show at Irving Plaza that day, an incredible amount of energy took over the room that night. I got to meet Ed and see my favorite band where I work. I never thought for a second that that day would come, that Pearl Jam would play Irving Plaza! That day hold an very special place in my heart and life. I was not at the Vic theatre show so I cant comment but Im sure it was equally amazing. Pearl Jam give 100% every show but to see them in these small clubs is a honor. I dont think there were official boots of these shows so you cant really compare sound quality. I just hope they don't ever stop treating fans to these small club gems.