Options

gay muslims find a way out

2»

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    purrmo wrote:
    Why should we not include the US and just single out the "other," why is not okay to to refer to other nations and religions on this topic. Why orientalize and separate? Why should the focus be on muslim countries, let us take a look at ALL countries.

Ending every statement I make with "but I'm sure the Americans do it too" is dumb and I'm not going to do it. It is up to you to get offended or not.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    JaneNY wrote:
    That has changed *somewhat* in the U.S. While the U.S. in some quarters continues to have an uneasy relationship with homosexuality, there are many more avenues for self-expression and life in the U.S. than there used to be.

Exactly, and the same goes for Canada. This is a matter of degree. No one is saying that the U.S. is some sort of utopia. What I don't get is why some people cannot be a little bit realistic, though. People from disadvantaged groups (like homosexuals) have many more options in democratic societies than they do in theocracies or dictatorships. Moreover, different cultures in the world are on different parts of the "acceptance of alternative lifestyles" continuum. How can people deny this? In some of these countries, women have next to no rights, nevermind gays. Women, 51% of the population! It is a value judgment to call this backward, and I will gladly make said value judgment. It IS backward, in my opinion.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    the focus is on gay muslims in america, so that's why I brought america up, it's quite simple, really.
  • Options
    Ending every statement I make with "but I'm sure the Americans do it too" is dumb and I'm not going to do it. It is up to you to get offended or not. .
    Exactly, and the same goes for Canada. This is a matter of degree. No one is saying that the U.S. is some sort of utopia. What I don't get is why some people cannot be a little bit realistic, though. People from disadvantaged groups (like homosexuals) have many more options in democratic societies than they do in theocracies or dictatorships. Moreover, different cultures in the world are on different parts of the "acceptance of alternative lifestyles" continuum. How can people deny this? In some of these countries, women have next to no rights, nevermind gays. Women, 51% of the population! It is a value judgment to call this backward, and I will gladly make said value judgment. It IS backward, in my opinion.

Saying it is dumb it is not a good enough answer for why we should not include all societies and cultures when speaking on the issue of homosexuals. First you say lets stick to the topic, but then you go off and mention womens' rights. Why are you bringing women into it? What do they have to do with homosexuals? So are you trying to say that if women have rights, then gays have rights? That is a weak argument and in many Western societies women have rights and gays don't have any. So again the focus remains on the "other," even going off onto other topics to prove that the "other" is backwards, but don't mention the US. Don't make rules that you yourself can not follow.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Laz wrote:
    The Ancient Romans and Greeks were pretty religious and open towards homosexuality...

perhaps pagan religions are more open? seems 'the one god' religions are a bit more intolerant of homosexuality. just a thought.

either way, it is SUCH a shame that one may feel the need to live a lie, not be true to themselves and their true natures...for societal pressures of any kind...be it the outside world, family or religion.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow