Options

The Name Pearl Jam

13»

Comments

• Options
    Shakescky said:
    NM70698 said:

Re: the discussion between PB11041 and Shakescky:

There is a very similar quote by Jeff Ament in 2001 Spin article, which predates the Rolling Stone article by several years.  He stated, "The first time I mentioned Pearl Jam [as a band name] was when Ed, Stone, and I were watching Sonic Youth play with Crazy Horse. In the middle of Crazy Horse I turned to Stone and said, 'what about "Pearl Jam"?' "

The entire Spin piece is transcribed here:

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/spin801.shtml

Thank you.

Sonic Youth did support Neil Young and Crazy Horse as noted within their concert chronology - http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/1991.html

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any itineraries showing Mookie Blaylock's break between the 2nd to 6th and 21st to 24th of February 1991. An itinerary for the West Coast tour with Alice In Chains was on display at this year's Home and Away exhibit at MoPOP. The aforementioned dates in question are not on it. While it is possible two events can bleed into one story, it is also possible locations can combine as well in someone's memory as I have seen it done with other Artists.
    I'm not sure what all this proves or does not prove but I have a photo of the AIC/MB 1991 tour list that is/was on display at MoPop.  That tour started on Feb. 7, based on the display.  The display only shows dates until Feb. 20, but, it's possible there is a page two of the itinerary which would be hidden by page 1 as there is definitely a staple at the top of the page.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,442
    Admitting it is like saying your band’s name is CUM, hard to be taken seriously.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,442
    on2legs said:
    Just look at the momma son tape cover. Anyone thinking it’s anything other than that is naive imo.
    Hmmmm... then why didn’t they go with Pearl Jam from the get go?  Why pick a basketball related name instead?
    I dont think they put too much thought into it. It was probably a "haha wouldnt it be funny if...." and they rolled with it. And they were probably pretty coy about it because they were on a record label.  They were pretty wild and funny back then. And immature. I mean, didnt eddie drink bile at one point? 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.