Al-Zarqawi's cell phone reportedly yields surprises

AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had the phone numbers of senior Iraqi officials stored in his cell phone, according to an Iraqi legislator.

Waiel Abdul-Latif, a member of former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's party, said Monday that authorities found the numbers after al-Zarqawi, leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, was killed in a U.S. air strike on June 7.

Abdul-Latif did not give names of the officials. But he said they included ministry employees and members of parliament.

He called for an investigation, saying Iraqis "cannot have one hand with the government and another with the terrorists."

Meanwhile, al-Zarqawi's wife told an Italian newspaper that al Qaeda leaders sold him out to the United States in exchange for a promise to let up in the search for Osama bin Laden.

The woman, identified by La Repubblica as al-Zarqawi's first wife, said al Qaeda's top leadership reached a deal with U.S. intelligence because al Zarqawi had become too powerful.

She claimed Sunni tribes and Jordanian secret services mediated the deal.

"My husband has been sold to the Americans," the woman said in an interview published Sunday. "He had become too powerful, too troublesome."

She was identified only as "Um Mohammed," which means "mother of Mohammed" and would be a nickname, not her full name.

The Rome-based newspaper said the interview was conducted in Geneva and described her as Jordanian and about 40 years old.

In Jordan, Al-Zarqawi's eldest brother, Sayel al-Khalayleh, said the family had not been aware of the woman's whereabouts for about two years.

Iraq's national security adviser said Sunday that al-Zarqawi had been buried in a "secret location" in Baghdad despite his family's demand that the body be returned to his native Jordan.

Mouwafak al-Rubaie would not say when the Jordanian-born militant was buried, or give any specifics on the location of the grave.

The U.S. military confirmed the burial but declined to give details.

"The remains of Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi were turned over to the appropriate government of Iraq officials and buried in accordance with Muslim customs and traditions," the military said in an e-mailed statement. "Anything further than that would be addressed by the Iraqi government."

Al-Zarqawi's brother demanded that his body be transferred to Jordan, and accused the United States of lying.

"Bush took his body to the United States," al-Khalayleh told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home in the Jordanian city of Zarqa.

"Even if he is buried in Iraq, we will continue to ask for the body to be transferred and buried in Jordan," he said. "He should be buried in his own country."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    I heard he had Dodi Fayed's number in there too. Talk about surprises!! Oh, and the guy who does the voice for the Camel in Arabic cigarette commercials. Had THAT guys number too!!! OMG!!!
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    i head bombs over baghdad was his ringtone
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • BetterRadioBetterRadio Posts: 189
    Zarqawi likes YIELD???!!

or did i read that wrong?
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    he had the WWS as his ringtone, Do the Evolution for text messages, and Life Wasted played at his funeral
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    pjalive21 wrote:
    he had the WWS as his ringtone, Do the Evolution for text messages, and Life Wasted played at his funeral

Nice!
    :)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    chopitdown wrote:
    i head bombs over baghdad was his ringtone

classic :)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Abuskedti wrote:
    Meanwhile, al-Zarqawi's wife told an Italian newspaper that al Qaeda leaders sold him out to the United States in exchange for a promise to let up in the search for Osama bin Laden.

she better be lying.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    at this point i don't know what to believe. i do not feel that the selling out of zarqawi is entirely impossible. i wouldn't put anything past anyone these days.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    It's not only possible but probable.
  • EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    "After analyzing all of the telephone contacts, a small mystery at a local pizzeria was finally solved. Said the owner the Ahalanu Akbar pizzeria some 200 meters outside the heavily fortified green zone, "There was a man, he called my store every week, trying to order a deep dish, chicago style pizza topped with 49 virgins. Then he would giggle, say Death to the Infidels, and hang up." The calls had been tracked to the cell phone of Al-Zarquwai, despite the claims by most Jordanian officials that he in fact had no sense of humor. One member of Al-Queda in Iraq speaking on a condition of anonymity, revealed that everyone laughed at the joke, fearing that the outspoken leader would murder their families if they didn't, but none of them, "thought it was very funny."
  • This is a actually a relief. I was afraid this thread would have camera phone pictures of Zarqawi's ass.
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    YIELD is an awesome album.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    fanch75 wrote:
    YIELD is an awesome album.

bump
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    hailhailkc wrote:
    bump

Dude, I'm going to be in Kansas City soon for work. I'll let you know and we'll have a natty.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    So who gets the bounty money? It was in the millions, I believe.
    Save room for dessert!
  • SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
    Abuskedti wrote:
    BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) --

The woman, identified by La Repubblica as al-Zarqawi's first wife, said al Qaeda's top leadership reached a deal with U.S. intelligence because al Zarqawi had become too powerful.

She claimed Sunni tribes and Jordanian secret services mediated the deal.

"My husband has been sold to the Americans," the woman said in an interview published Sunday. "He had become too powerful, too troublesome."

Very interesting that al-Zarqawi's wife stated this, and this article appeared recently in the New York Times. (posted in AMT by SundaySilence). Very eye-opening.

C.I.A. Closes Unit Focused on Capture of bin Laden

The Central Intelligence Agency has closed a unit that for a decade had the mission of hunting Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants, intelligence officials confirmed Monday....

...In recent years, the war in Iraq has stretched the resources of the intelligence agencies and the Pentagon, generating new priorities for American officials. For instance, much of the military's counterterrorism units, like the Army's Delta Force, had been redirected from the hunt for Mr. bin Laden to the search for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed last month in Iraq...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/wa...rtner=homepage
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    1-987-HOT-SLUT was also found on his speed dialer.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i think paris hilton's # was found on there too
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    i think paris hilton's # was found on there too

That's hot.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    Very interesting that al-Zarqawi's wife stated this, and this article appeared recently in the New York Times. (posted in AMT by SundaySilence). Very eye-opening.

C.I.A. Closes Unit Focused on Capture of bin Laden

The Central Intelligence Agency has closed a unit that for a decade had the mission of hunting Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants, intelligence officials confirmed Monday....

...In recent years, the war in Iraq has stretched the resources of the intelligence agencies and the Pentagon, generating new priorities for American officials. For instance, much of the military's counterterrorism units, like the Army's Delta Force, had been redirected from the hunt for Mr. bin Laden to the search for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed last month in Iraq...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/wa...rtner=homepage

such perfect timing. i heard that the germans offered to lose to italy in exchange for north korea to blow up their missle shortly after take off.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    drivingrl wrote:
    That's hot.
    LOL
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?