Options

Canada 2020

2»

Comments

• Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    i think canada should be most concerned about global warming. when the frozen tundra thaws; and the ground stratifies; canada will be no more. or maybe it'll be americas' north coast.
    global warming is in the hands of the people. there's no one to point a finger to.

canadians are concerned, our government is not...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    canadians are concerned, our government is not...

BS! does your government force you to use fossil fuels? do you not have solar or wind energy available to you? point the finger at yourself. if you didn't use oil there would be no big oil corporations. YOU make their existance possible. supply and demand. so don't cop-out and blame someone else. global warming is caused by the peoples' consumption of goods that cause it.
  • Options
    BS! does your government force you to use fossil fuels? do you not have solar or wind energy available to you? point the finger at yourself. if you didn't use oil there would be no big oil corporations. YOU make their existance possible. supply and demand. so don't cop-out and blame someone else. global warming is caused by the peoples' consumption of goods that cause it.

What are you talking about?

For you bringing the personal aspect, i sold my car one year ago (november 2005), so keep talking while i actually do something for it. My point stand and take it as a "point the finger" all you want, most canadians care (polls, protest, actions, civillians organisations) our government do not (getting out from Kyoto, preaching for more oil sand exploitation).

supply and demand??? Better look up, cause alternatives are not available or hard to find, and mostly very costful. That's when govt. incensitive come in actions, look brazil energy plan and all the other country who manage to achieve their Kyoto goal, it didn't hurt their economy at all. I'm proud about Québec future plan, i hope it will work.

Blame someone elses??? Yes i can say i did my part personally, even if it's not of your business, i can't go around blaming everyone who have and drive a car just because i think they shouldn't, i have no power on them, but i have all the rights to criticize my govt., that's the point of democracy. Anyway...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527

the majority of our emissions are coming from the oil sands project in alberta ... the gov't has no interest in dealing with the oil industry in doing something about it ...

but for sure, it is in the people's hand ... no point looking at the gov't if one is not willing to make their own changes ...

but as long as oil continues to burn coal to to extract expensive oil we're in trouble here ...
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    BS! does your government force you to use fossil fuels?

Hey my man. Point me in the direction of the city in North America that uses anything but fossil fuel for their public transportation and you may not sound so out there with the comment.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Hey my man. Point me in the direction of the city in North America that uses anything but fossil fuel for their public transportation and you may not sound so out there with the comment.

phoenix public transportation runs on bio-diesel. (vegetable oil). how's that?
  • Options
    phoenix public transportation runs on bio-diesel. (vegetable oil). how's that?

bio diesel still needs to be processed ... requiring energy ... what is the energy source for the manufacturing stand point?

and what percentageo of phoenix residents use public transportation?
  • Options
    What are you talking about?

For you bringing the personal aspect, i sold my car one year ago (november 2005), so keep talking while i actually do something for it. My point stand and take it as a "point the finger" all you want, most canadians care (polls, protest, actions, civillians organisations) our government do not (getting out from Kyoto, preaching for more oil sand exploitation).

supply and demand??? Better look up, cause alternatives are not available or hard to find, and mostly very costful. That's when govt. incensitive come in actions, look brazil energy plan and all the other country who manage to achieve their Kyoto goal, it didn't hurt their economy at all. I'm proud about Québec future plan, i hope it will work.

Blame someone elses??? Yes i can say i did my part personally, even if it's not of your business, i can't go around blaming everyone who have and drive a car just because i think they shouldn't, i have no power on them, but i have all the rights to criticize my govt., that's the point of democracy. Anyway...

criticize away; but the answer still lies with the people.
    my solar set-up was expensive but the power company sent a check for almost 25% within a month of completion. the federal government will return just over 25% and the state will return almost 40% over the next 6 years. all this time giving me free power that doesn't go out when it storms; or someone hits a pole; etc.
  • Options
    my solar set-up was expensive but the power company sent a check for almost 25% within a month of completion. the federal government will return just over 25% and the state will return almost 40% over the next 6 years. all this time giving me free power that doesn't go out when it storms; or someone hits a pole; etc.

I know you have talked about this in the past. And I think it is a super idea. I have been hitting some "solar power" sites in the past couple of years trying to see what they have to offer. A little expensive for the average joe who wants to make a difference. You have to admit. But on the flip side it is the way to go to be independent from the grid......and the man. ;)

Good for Phoenix and the fuel they use. But it still comes from the ground, and needs to be processed, no?
  • Options

great, more of these would be great.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    if you ask me the biggest worry for canadians by 2020 will be the fact that Toronto still hasn't won the stanley cup, while all other canadians relinquish a heavy sigh of relief.

seriously though, climate change is gonna be a huge deal, despite the composition of our government. A lot of people on this thread are writing as if they're assuming that a conservative government is going to be in power for the next 14 years. This is not the case. Expect Harper to win a majority government but by 2012 we will be in the midst of another election.

despite the type of government we may have, climate change will still be prevalent. this issue should take precedence over most others. If we do not wake up now and realize what we are doing hten there is no real hope for the future. what we really need now is to form an adaptable system to respond to climate change. forget the old fossil fuel dependent economy and really (i mean really) focus on new technologies.

that's purely environmental concerns. as far as everyting else goes, who gives a shit? when it comes to a global issue such as climate change, they seem to pale in comparision
  • Options
    Jam-fan wrote:
    if you ask me the biggest worry for canadians by 2020 will be the fact that Toronto still hasn't won the stanley cup, while all other canadians relinquish a heavy sigh of relief.

Next Leafs Cup: 2067 :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Jam-fan wrote:

seriously though, climate change is gonna be a huge deal, despite the composition of our government. A lot of people on this thread are writing as if they're assuming that a conservative government is going to be in power for the next 14 years. This is not the case. Expect Harper to win a majority government but by 2012 we will be in the midst of another election.

despite the type of government we may have, climate change will still be prevalent. this issue should take precedence over most others. If we do not wake up now and realize what we are doing hten there is no real hope for the future. what we really need now is to form an adaptable system to respond to climate change. forget the old fossil fuel dependent economy and really (i mean really) focus on new technologies.

that's purely environmental concerns. as far as everyting else goes, who gives a shit? when it comes to a global issue such as climate change, they seem to pale in comparision

but with the survey pointing to only 57% of albertans believing it is a significant problem and understanding that oil sands is responsible for our significant increase in emissions - it leaves canada in a big hole ...

go leafs go!! ... fire ferguson ...
  • Options
    The Laughs know that if they win a cup it will be Blue Jay-itis all over again. In other words..................The place will be empty.
  • Options
    Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    polaris wrote:
    but with the survey pointing to only 57% of albertans believing it is a significant problem and understanding that oil sands is responsible for our significant increase in emissions - it leaves canada in a big hole ...

go leafs go!! ... fire ferguson ...
    statistics can be used to prove anything, 78% of people know that.