Options

Halliburton CEO's stock rises by $78 million since Iraq invasion

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
almost a year old, but still a good read...if you go to the site there are links throughout it

http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/news/lesar_stock.html

Halliburton CEO's stock rises by $78 million since Iraq invasion
15 Sept. 2005
WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 (HalliburtonWatch.org) -- War and skyrocketing oil prices have been good to Halliburton's CEO David Lesar, whose stock in the company increased by an estimated $78 million since the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003, a HalliburtonWatch analysis reveals.

In March 2003, the first month of the Iraq invasion, corporate disclosure records show Lesar owned 1.476 million common shares and share options in Halliburton worth $30 million. At the end of stock trading yesterday, those shares were worth $93 million, for a $63 million gain. Subsequent to the Iraq invasion, Lesar boosted his total holdings in the company from $93 million to $108 million by acquiring a net 243,000 additional shares, thereby increasing his stock holdings by $78 million since March 2003.

Halliburton's stock price tripled since the Iraq invasion from $20 to $63.

Lesar owns an additional 644,575 shares of "restricted stock," or stock that may be sold only if he satisfies certain goals and requirements of the corporation. If Lesar is authorized by Halliburton to sell those shares, they would be worth an additional $40.8 million as of yesterday's closing stock price.

In the last 24 months, Lesar sold $18.8 million worth of Halliburton stock, with $16.3 million sold this year alone.

On September 1, three days after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, he sold stock pursuant to his stock option plan, earning a one-day profit of $720,100. One week later, on September 8, he similarly earned a one-day profit of $782,000 by selling stock.

$13.6 Billion in Iraq Revenue

Lesar has presided over a period for the company that has corrected the mistakes created by former CEO and current U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney. After Cheney left the firm in 2000 to run for vice president, Halliburton was forced to deal with the legacy of his incompetent decisions made while he was CEO, decisions that forced parts of the company into bankruptcy. Those problems have mostly been solved under Lesar's leadership. In the last four reported quarters, Halliburton received $20 billion in revenue and earned $1.9 billion in operating income.

Iraq-related contracts amounted to $13.6 billion in revenue for the company since March 2003. Nonetheless, most of Halliburton's profit is earned from its energy services business, not the war. Higher gasoline prices have required oil companies to build additional oil rigs, something Halliburton leads the world in doing.

The company's skyrocketing stock price also reflects, in part, a market expectation that the company might one day benefit from Iraq's large oil reserves.

'Jacking Up the Margins'

Lesar complained last year about the low profit margins earned in Iraq from the company's troop support contract with the Army, known as "LOGCAP." He even threatened to charge the Army with higher costs by declaring that he would "jack the margins up significantly" if companies other than Halliburton are allowed to bid for new work under LOGCAP. He made his comments in response to a U.S. military recommendation that called for the immediate termination of the LOGCAP contract so that other, less scandalous, firms can be hired to assist the soldiers.

"Jacking up the margins" is already standard practice at Halliburton via cost overcharges. Those overcharges helped boost the company's war profits by 284 percent during the second quarter of this year.

Audits conducted by the Pentagon's Defense Contract Audit Agency determined that KBR had $1 billion in "questioned" expenses (i.e. expenses which military auditors consider "unreasonable") and $442 million in "unsupported" expenses (i.e. expenses which military auditors have determined contain no receipt or any explanation on how the expenses were disbursed).

Despite the cost overcharges, numerous critical reports from military auditors and the public outcry against Halliburton, Washington continues to drag its feet in dealing with the company's continuing rip-off of U.S. taxpayers.
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Dam, I just missed out on purchasing stock. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Maybe next time:):)
  • Options
    Dam, I just missed out on purchasing stock. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Maybe next time:):)

don't worry, i'm sure there'll be a new war for you to profit from sooner or later
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    george w. was a nice investment for halliburton.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    El_Kabong wrote:
    don't worry, i'm sure there'll be a new war for you to profit from sooner or later

Hopefully! I need my share of the pie!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    So what? If I had owned stock in Halliburton before the war, mine would have gone up the EXACT same percentage. It has nothing to do with being the CEO.

Has the stock of other companies risen similarly or greater in that timeframe?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    So what? If I had owned stock in Halliburton before the war, mine would have gone up the EXACT same percentage. It has nothing to do with being the CEO.

Has the stock of other companies risen similarly or greater in that timeframe?

depends...did these other companies get several billions worth of no bid contracts? then did they double bill for things, charge for services they never provided, feed the soldiers spoiled food....?

so what?? i thought you would be able to grasp the concept of 'war profiteering' and the former ceo pushing for a needless war, then his company (which he still owns a lot of stock in) gets lots and lots of no bid contracts worth tens of BILLIONS and overcharges...guess i was too hopeful
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    depends...did these other companies get several billions worth of no bid contracts? then did they double bill for things, charge for services they never provided, feed the soldiers spoiled food....?

so what?? i thought you would be able to grasp the concept of 'war profiteering'...guess i was too hopeful

I'm better at grasping the concept of:

Those who CAN and Do - do and say nothing.
    Those who CAN'T and Don't or won't - whine, gripe, complain, etc.

• Options
    know1 wrote:

must be a real nice world ya live in there, pal. sounds like you're a happy guy
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    must be a real nice world ya live in there, pal. sounds like you're a happy guy

This coming from someone who continually posts threads where he is whining and complaining. Who sounds happier?

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    purely a coincidence of course ... so what if there was no grounds for war and there are direct ties to this administration ... the gov't wouldn't do that and big multi-nationals have only the interests of the people at heart ...
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    This coming from someone who continually posts threads where he is whining and complaining. Who sounds happier?

if that's how you choose to see it, so be it. i know i don't sound like a cold, emotionless robot, tho ;)
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    if that's how you choose to see it, so be it. i know i don't sound like a cold, emotionless robot, tho ;)

I don't SOUND like anything on a message board. Much of how you interpret through reading is a reflection of yourself.

But I guess your definition of cold and emotionless is someone who doesn't want to sit in front a computer and complain about the world.

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    know1 wrote:

hmmm...it appears you are whining about whining and complaining about complaining....

and you are the "happier" one...?

as I see it, Kabong raises issues and concerns and you, rather that addressing the point, complain and whine about the messanger....

happy happy joy joy...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    hmmm...it appears you are whining about whining and complaining about complaining....

and you are the "happier" one...?

as I see it, Kabong raises issues and concerns and you, rather that addressing the point, complain and whine about the messanger....

happy happy joy joy...

Quit complaining! :)

• Options
    audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    intersting enough, in late 04 when the whole Haliburton outcry began, it was at the time a horrible investment and had ben since the war began, considreing Haliburton was actively shopping the sector that is involved in the Iraq rebuild. Good thing all that attention came to get people interested in it.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

know1 wrote:
    You're stereotyping

what was the point, again, hypocritical1?

know1 wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    Well....what do you think about it?

It would be nice to see threads where so-called "articles" or other links are just regurgitated. Does anyone have any thoughts of their own?

...don't have many original thoughts (complaints) of their own.

well, which is it, contradictory1??? do i either 'continually whine and complain' or do i just 'regurgitate "articles" '??

you can't have it both ways!

is it that time of the month? is that why you're in such a bad mood today?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    what was the point, again, hypocritical1?

well, which is it, contradictory1??? do i either 'continually whine and complain' or do i just 'regurgitate "articles" '??

you can't have it both ways!

is it that time of the month? is that why you're in such a bad mood today?

You continually regurgitate articles that whine and complain ;)

I'm not in a bad mood at all. I already apologized and said that it was immature of me to have made that comment.

• Options
    what's funny is a few months ago i was accused of 'beating my points to death' what's also funny is a post from one of the resident drama queens
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=2898434&postcount=24
    'at least kabong's rantings usually bear some relation to the article posted and he attempts to debate the topic offered.'

now it's implied my opinion is 'secret' and i never have an opinion or an original opinion or 'complaint', i just 'regurgitate "articles".'

so since everyone is in the dark on where i stand; i think this was a manufactured war over a manufactured threat. done so certain ppl can profit and loot the treasury, also to strengthen their control and influence as well as other things, but to me, those are forefront. i think ppl in this administration, like cheney and rumsfeld, used 9/11 to push for a needless war so they could have more control and influence over the region, it's resources and keeping it the petroDOLLAR instead of petroeuro. these 2, as well as several others, did it to pay one group of their old companies/friends/investors for making the bombs, then paying other former companies/friends/investors for 'rebuilding' the wreckage. not only that but allowing gross overcharges, poor to shitty treatment of our troops (the ones DYING) and after that comes to light still give them a fucking bonus.

i think bush put the Carlyle Group's (daddy is on the board) company United Defense's Crusader system (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020401/shorrock/2 ) back into the budget, even after the pentagon advisory board repeatedly voted against it, saying it wasn't worth the price b/c, obviously he wanted his dad's company to benefit...they got paid and as the pentagon had wanted all along, the program was dropped...AFTER the check was cashed, of course.

i think this is a war of profit for them and their former companies/friends/investors. to say otherwise is ridiculous.

so...there you go...the secret is out...is anyone shocked at where i stand? of course not, but that was never really the point. it was just an excuse for one poster to vent his waking up on the wrong side of the bed and another who is the epitome of 'whiney and bitching' to jump in and get some cuts, too.

if there's anything to the article and my point of view on it you are more than welcome to express it, otherwise you can keep your personal attacks to yourself (and yes, i'm aware in a way i did the same right here, but...don't mean to push, but i'm being shoved)
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    El_Kabong wrote:
    what's funny is a few months ago i was accused of 'beating my points to death' what's also funny is a post from one of the resident drama queens
    'at least kabong's rantings usually bear some relation to the article posted and he attempts to debate the topic offered.'

now it's implied my opinion is 'secret' and i never have an opinion or an original opinion or 'complaint', i just 'regurgitate "articles".'

so since everyone is in the dark on where i stand; i think this was a manufactured war over a manufactured threat. done so certain ppl can profit and loot the treasury, also to strengthen their control and influence as well as other things, but to me, those are forefront. i think ppl in this administration, like cheney and rumsfeld, used 9/11 to push for a needless war so they could have more control and influence over the region, it's resources and keeping it the petroDOLLAR instead of petroeuro. these 2, as well as several others, did it to pay one group of their old companies/friends/investors for making the bombs, then paying other former companies/friends/investors for 'rebuilding' the wreckage. not only that but allowing gross overcharges, poor to shitty treatment of our troops (the ones DYING) and after that comes to light still give them a fucking bonus.

i think bush put the Carlyle Group's (daddy is on the board) company United Defense's Crusader system (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020401/shorrock/2 ) back into the budget, even after the pentagon advisory board repeatedly voted against it, saying it wasn't worth the price b/c, obviously he wanted his dad's company to benefit...they got paid and as the pentagon had wanted all along, the program was dropped...AFTER the check was cashed, of course.

i think this is a war of profit for them and their former companies/friends/investors. to say otherwise is ridiculous.

so...there you go...the secret is out...is anyone shocked at where i stand? of course not, but that was never really the point. it was just an excuse for one poster to vent his waking up on the wrong side of the bed and another who is the epitome of 'whiney and bitching' to jump in and get some cuts, too.

if there's anything to the article and my point of view on it you are more than welcome to express it, otherwise you can keep your personal attacks to yourself (and yes, i'm aware in a way i did the same right here, but...don't mean to push, but i'm being shoved)

I just wanna know when you find time to go to work.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    I just wanna know when you find time to go to work.

why........?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    why........?

Why, do you know? Id love some insight into how he manages his time between all the googling and posting he does. I could use some good tips on time management.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Why, do you know? Id love some insight into how he manages his time between all the googling and posting he does. I could use some good tips on time management.

perhaps you should google "time management"...just a thought...
  • Options
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pickle/

interesting article on time management. I have no opinion on it to offer at this time.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options

and your thoughts on the original article?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    and your thoughts on the original article?

I have to actually offer an opinion? Bullshit. I agree 100% with the articles I post. they speak for me. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    oh comeon now its no secret that the main reasons to go to war *in order* are Oil, Destroy and Rebuild to use more and make more, to become more powerfull with money to controll anything, oh and iraqi freedom.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    I have to actually offer an opinion? Bullshit. I agree 100% with the articles I post. they speak for me. :)

well if you disagree w/ something it's kinda helpful in a debate to express that...

i posted my opinion already, maybe you should try reading it
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    Umm, if you're the CEO of a major corporation, and in 3 years you've only made 78 million dollars, you're not doing that well. This is pocket change.
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

As per usual, I disagree with some of these opinions and the effectiveness of them.

I think you put an overabundance of blame on Bush and his administration. Congress authorized the "war" and furthermore I'm pretty certain that Gore would have pursued military action after 9/11 as well.

Secondly, it almost looks like you're implying that if the war was somehow justified it would be OK. I don't think war is ever justfied.

Finally, I have to call into question your objectivity and the honesty of your opinions since you were in the military yourself. It's kind of like when you question the objectivity of someone who used to work in the Bush administration and now works for the FDA....